Obeid's Bedouin Life Camp
$60
$55
$41
  • Free Internet
Bedouin Lifestyle Camp(Wadi Rum)(Great Value!)
$21
$35
$137
$124
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshis sonsunset camel ridejeep tourdead seaprotected areachickengreat hostswonderful experiencenext morningbedouin lifeclean facilitiesdesert experienceother guestsstayed one nightunderground ovenvisitor's centersweet tea
Reviewed December 26, 2012

As my 3rd time in wadi rum, I wanted to try the camp with the highest rate on tripadvisor, thinking that it was different, ecofriendly or with an excellent service. I concluded it's exactly as any other camp in wadi rum but more expensive. The tour was nice, but the same that others offer, the service in the camp is basic as the others and there is no minimum attention to respect th ebeautiful nature around. I expected to pay more because there was a special attention to this or special amenities. What I found was a normal camp, with bathrooms built in concrete, hot water and lights from gas. It could be so simple to have a solar panel and to make a semi permanent bathroom and kitchen instead of concrete! besides, the hot water didn't work so no one showered, th eheating in the tent didn't work and they couldn't fix it, so it was really unuseful. In other places they boil water from the fire and you can simply shower with it. With what they charge they could buy new towels and besheets instead of utilizing old and not very cleaned ones. The bedouin village, and towns are few km away from the camp, so I don't understand why it could be a problem to buy new stuff or at least have very cleaned things. besides, with what they charge, I expected in winter they could substitute the old blankets with more modern, warmer and lighter blankets such as duvet or sleeping bags! But no, we had to sleep with 5 heavy blankets and couldn't move during the night. I do love campings but I don't like to pay for services I don't get. On the other side I must admitt the people were very nice and I will always remember Salem who was very helpful and an amazing chef. Overall, I suggest all the bedouins to Learn from the camps in Kenya or Tanzania, that are now very eco friendly and with excellent services. I spent a nice night in Obeid's camp but I can't say it was more attentive or different from others, so if you go to wadi rum just go for the cheapest camp, because no one will give you more than a basic service. I was also a bit disappointed because we spent Christmas there and they didn't even think to have a special dinner for the few guests there, instead we found ourselves surrounded by 10 bedouin men who came to eat the food purchased with guests money and had nothing to do with the camp.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank indiacol
Obied, Owner at Obeid's Bedouin Life Camp, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

I am truly sorry my camp did not meet my guest's expectations. I also had other guests on the same day, who came the second time to my camp, and they were happy with everything. I am also sorry she did not raise her remarks with us right then, for instance the hot shower did work, just the tap is a bit tricky because there is not enough pressure.
I also regret that the visitors from my family disturbed my guest. Usually tourists are happy to join the company of Bedouins because they like to see our everyday life. My relatives (a six persons including a child) happened to come at dinner time, and Bedouin hospitality dictates that we offer food to everyone. So I always make extra food, to have enough for unexpected guests or if anyone likes to have more helpings.
The Bedouin are Muslims, so do not know make a Christmas dinner, and decorations would not look authentic on a tent. Concerning the environment, I do my best to make the camp eco-friendly. Solar panels are expensive in Jordan, but I am already planning to get some as soon as I can afford it.
Maybe I should learn from the camps in Kenya, but Africa is a different culture. Even if I could visit it, I rather keep the Bedouin traditions, and present an authentic Bedouin camp to my guests, who usually appreciate its genuinity, and return several times.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed there beginning of November for 2 nights. We did 1 hour camel ride which was enough for us:) but it was amazing riding the camel through the desert. We had a lovely dinner in the evening. The chicken was absolutely delicious:) On the next day we took a day jeep tour with another french family with 2 different cars. The tour was once in a lifetime experience. Thank you Nail for the unforgettable day. We have never seen anything like that before. Thank you all for your hospitality. Hope to see you again. We totally recommend this campsite. Small and cozy not like the other big campsites we saw along the road.Please note that this is a Bedouin Life camp not Bedouin Lifestyle Camp. Better check their Facebook page- Obeid's Bedouin Life Camp.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank viktorpetya
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night last week and it was fantastic. Mr Obeid's son, Nial, picked up myself and friends at the Wadi Rum Visitor Centre and the adventure started. As it's low season, we were the only guests and this made it extra special. We did a fantastic 4 hr tour of Wadi Rum and then had a fantastic evening of food and entertainment. Nial and his brother sang Bedouin songs to us over a great camp fire and we sipped on tea and smoked Shisha (hubby bubbly). The stars were amazing also. If you go to Jordan and don't visit Bedouin Life Camp....well you should be arrested and deported for being a bad tourist!!!

Room Tip: Ask the sons of they can prepare some Shisha for u
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The Bedouin Life Camp (not to be confused with the Bedouin Lifestyle Camp which is a different site) ensured that our trip to Wadi Rum was a lifetime experience of the pleasurable kind!
It appears to be a three man operation, the father Obeid Al- Amamreh who answers the phone and takes the bookings. The son Nayel who meets and greets and drives and the younger son Saleem who looks after the camp and cooks.
As it was November we were the only guests at the camp, which made it even more special. Our room was covered in Bedouin carpets on the floor, ceiling and walls, a comfortable double mattress, clean sheets and heavy blankets.
The bathrooms were clean an an 80 metre walk. The food provided was much better than expected, breakfast and dinner is included in the price. Saleem is a gifted cook, and his oven is half an oil drum buried in the sand which is buried and covered.
Nayel took us for a three hour drive around Wadi Rum which was not nearly enough but gave us a feel of the place. Watching sunset was obligatory.
Sitting at the campfire, watching the full moon, observing the total silence of the desert and being entertained by Nayel & Saleem will be fondly remembered. We really enjoyed the experience and would recommend the camp to fellow travelers.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AvidTraveler12
Reviewed December 2, 2012

As part of our whirlwind tour of Israel and Jordan, Jane and I visited Obeid Al-Amamreh's secluded camp for an afternoon tour and one-night stay and thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality shown us by Obeid's sons, Nayel and Saleem! Though we arrived at noon and had to wait for the heat of the day to abate, the jeep tour that afternoon of the majestic "Valley of the Moon" (as Wadi Rum is also known) was well worth it! Nayel was our eager and personable guide while his brother cooked for us, preparing simple but nourishing fare. Post-dinner tea around a campfire was highlighted by the lovely singing and drumming of the very talented Saleem! Finally, the brothers arranged bedding for us outside beneath an explosion of stars. Beautiful! Nayel drove us to our hotel in Aqaba the next day and, later that afternoon, hailed us enthusiastically when he saw us strolling through the city's shopping district -- even going so far as to stop, hop out of his truck and make sure we were well and having a good time! How's that for service?!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple