“Starry starry night”

Astronomy Israel
Ranked #1 of 3 Museums in Mitspe Ramon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Thanks for your interest in my star tours. My tours last about two hours, usually starting at 9:30pm or sometimes 6:00pm/6:30pm in the winter. The first half we do naked eye observing of the sky, identifying constellations, learning star lore, understanding how the sky works; the second half we go to the telescopes to view the best sights of the night. I set up my "portable observatory" in the desert behind Mitzpe Ramon, meet people at their hotels and guide them up to my observing location. We provide chairs and blankets for everyone, and No, no walking is required. The planets and stars are too far away! We let our eyes do the walking. I can usually take people in my own car up to my observing location. But if my car is full I may ask you to follow me in yours the short distance to my observing location (about 3 kilometers) behind town. No four-wheel drive needed.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed August 6, 2017

Having Ira as our guide for the stars was a privilege. He turned our night tour into an unforgettable experience where we could witness falling stars, constellations and planets. He is fun, patience, smart, kind and very kind. We learned a whole lot about the sky, the stars, and about ourselves. It was a fantastic -and musical- experience!

Machefsky, Owner at Astronomy Israel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2017

Thank you for joining us. It was great to have you as our guest!

All reviews
"powerful telescopes"
"his assistant"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2017

We joined Ira, Mitspeh resident astronomer, on a tour of the night skies and it was amazing. Although we went out on a full moon which makes his job harder because of the light from the moon, he delivered.

Ira set up 3 telescopes and took us on a tour of the skies, he showed us Saturn, Jupiter the big dipper, and many other bright stars. Ira was full of information.

Highly recommend it.

Machefsky, Owner at Astronomy Israel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2017

Thank you for joining us!

Reviewed July 13, 2017

My husband and I recently went to Mitspe Ramon as part of our Honeymoon. We had heard from friends and family that we could not miss Ira's star tour- but you really have to see it to believe it. It is truly spectacular. Ira is extremely knowledgeable- he spends the first half giving you a tour of the sky with the naked eye (keeping the audience engaged). He then has telescopes set up where you can look through and see some planets. We went as a couple but would be great for families as well.
Thank you Ira for an unforgettable experience!

Thank you for coming again!

Reviewed July 11, 2017

My husband, adult son and I did Ira's stargazing evening last week. It was a great night. We enjoyed every moment of it and learned alot! Dress warmly.

Machefsky, Owner at Astronomy Israel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2017

Glad you enjoyed yourself and thank you for coming.