“Everything you could want”

The Green Backpackers
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights with a friend in September and loved it. It is a very chilled out and relaxed hostel - with a very homely feel I have not found in any other hostel. The owners, Lee and Yoash, are very helpful and have vast knowledge of the area. We hiked with some other people staying at the hostel. Everyone was friendly
There were various evening activities which were all really enjoyable - a sunset walk followed by a vegan dinner and an evening with a local Bedouin. We also enjoyed some lovely cocktails made by Yoash!
A hike through Maktesh Ramon is well worth it during a trip to Israel! This hostel is perfectly situated for hiking and also for chilling out afterwards - we came back after our hike, napped, made some lunch and watched Into the Wild.
The staff at the hostel gave us a helpful map and told us about the area when we arrived - this included telling us about the Industrial Area which is a must during a stay in Mitzpe Ramon. We spent an afternoon there having coffee and browsing the shops and art studios.
Breakfast isn't included in the price, but if you arrive without having had a chance to buy any food there are some breakfast supplies and a jam jar for contributions.
The only minor downside was that our dorm room was a little bit cramped (but this was in part due to some other travellers, one of whom had at least fifteen pairs of shoes with her!!)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lucy E

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Lee and Yoash are such kind, generous, authentic people who really give this place the 5 star rating it deserves. They welcomed me in with delicious food, warm smiles, great conversation, and turned my previously bad day upside down. They are good people who believe in the goodness of other people, making this a place you can trust. In the hostel, there are maps and tips for hiking...the whole vibe flows with a true love of nature. The location is also right below the beautiful camel mountain, making sunset-viewing extra convenient! Everything is so clean, intimate, and homey, with the right mix of travelers -- just the vibe I was looking for! This is definitely a place I would come back to time and time again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed here for two nights, and found it to be a rather excellent base from which to explore the area. Especially Lee (the owner) was extremely helpful. She is doing all the right moves with her hostel which--being small in size--feels homely and intimate.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frank_Zenker
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We booked a double room at 'the second floor' which is their apartment, a few minutes down the road. It was perfect.

The hosts are super friendly, and make sure you have everything you need. They showed us a nice hiking trail and gave us some travel information. The hostel and the apartment were both super clean and nicely decorated. There was heating everywhere because the nights do get cold in mitzpe.

Had a great time there. Couldn't have picked a better hostel.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at the "The Green Backpackers" Hostel. On both occasions I was MTBing in the Ramon area. Location for Biking & Hiking is just perfect with so many trails at hand and a wealth of knowledge and advice from the owners make the planning of routes easy... If they don't know the answer to your question they will endeavour to find out!
The new Backpackers accommodation is very clean, well organised and basically home from home...My stay was probably my best hostel experience to date!
I would recommend this Hostel to all travellers wishing to experience the Desert lifestyle and culture which you otherwise would miss when staying in the more popular hotels...This is experience you cant buy!.... You won't regret this booking!!!!

Jasen Jordan

Room Tip: Couples can book private doubles if they wish for privacy!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is place is one of the better hostels I have been to. Hostels are made by the people that visit of course, and since this place is in the middle of the dessert it attracts the right audience, apperantly. Stayed here for 3 nights, spend 2 full days hiking in the area. It is an absolutly amazing area.
Joash, the Israeli owner, is very servcice-oriented. He knows everything about the area and makes you feel home imidiately. Expect to get coffee and tea before even ask about vacancies.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I literally stumbled into this hostel after taking a bus to Mitzpe Ramon without much of a plan of where to stay. As I walked in, I was warmly welcomed even though I had no reservation or real idea what I was doing there beyond looking for information. Amazingly, the couple that runs the hostel and their lovely volunteer were delighted to show me around the property in case I decided I did want to spend the night, as well as sit with me for a good 15 minutes and enthusiastically suggest the best hiking trails in the Makhtesh. They gave me delicious mint tea and even lent me a sleeping pad so I could sleep in the woods down the street for free. Let me reiterate - these strangers extended such unheard of kindness to a traveller who had already made it clear she didn't have enough money to stay at their business. I don't think I've ever been so floored by anyones' hospitality. I know any time I have an excuse to be in Mitzpe Ramon as well as the funds - honestly even if I don't have the funds, I'll find them, to stay at this backpackers' hostel. I encourage everyone to go here, even if it's not in your itinerary. Make it your destination.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo