Silk Road Hotel
All reviewssilk roadold townmr alibunk bedsinteresting peopleother travelersstewhotel ownerday tourvia emailnice placeguest housedelicious fooda great place to meetgame meatgreat atmospheredouble room
Reviewed June 17, 2013

great value for the room, it is nice to have AC during the summer.. the breakfast is also nice!!
the staffs are no that bad, maybe we are use to the super warm welcome in Iran, normal welcome is not enough any more...
they speak English well, no problems with communications!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank littlekcik
Reviewed June 14, 2013

BEWARE OF SILK ROAD HOTEL IN YAZD

We had a confirmed reservation in this hotel but when we arrived at the hotel we were told that the hotel was full and went to other place. We looked at the reservation calendar of the hotel and found my name in the calendar in spite of this fact we were sent out. The manager was unfriendly and not even try to help us find other accommodation.

Our taxi driver took us to other hotel situated 30 meter from Silk Road. The hotel was Oasis traditional house. This hotel was very clean and cheap, a pleasant place. The manager was very friendly and helpful.

BEWARE OF SILK ROAD HOTEL IN YAZD

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank palAdis
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I only had dinner at this place, so I can't comment on the hotel part. From the looks of it, the place looks quite worn down and the surrounding area feels a bit dodgy.

As for the food, it was quite OK and reasonably priced. I had the Tas Shotoor-e Kebab (if I remember the name correctly) which is camel stew. It tasted quite nice and sweet.

If you're interested in meeting other tourists, then this probably is the place for you. I'd rather spend time in the hangouts for locals, but each to their own.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The overall rating here I gave is very lenient because the price is low.

I may have a love and hate relationship with it, love the atmosphere, hate the cleanliness (especially the shared bathroom/WC).

Like another reviewer, I booked a room in Silk Road, only to find that they don't have a room for me. But my situation was a bit different, I tried to book via an agent (not a good one) so I do not know whether the Silk Road or the agent screwed up my booking (SilkRoad said the agent didn't book)...Ok, presumption of innocence, probably the fault of the agent not Silk Road but I have heard similar things from other travelers I meet in Iran.

So I ended up staying in the dormitory, which I haven't done for 10 years. Price is cheap, but then I have used a dom for ages so I 'm not sure if it was actually cheap among dormitories. The dom I stayed has 4 bunk beds but there are some problems with one bed so it hosts up to 7.

The location is quite good for backpackers, it is in the old town and is close to the jamme mosque of Yazd so you can have easy access to there in twlight hours. Yazd is small, so the Amir Chakhmagh is not too far away.

The building is not bad, the atmosphere is good, and you're likely to meet other interesting people there (maybe becuase Lonely Planet once rave about it?) If you travel alone, you might meet travel buddies there (Ok, don't count on that, it's totally by chance..)

I can't talk about the room but the dom. I didn't find it clean but one probably can't expect much for a dom that cheap. It was located in the basement and has a window which the other side is the common area of the house, where the restaurant is located. The problem is... when there are people arriving early in the morning (which is quite likely since it 's common for backpackers to travel by overnight bus) and grab a seat or have breakfast, the metal chairs produce so much noise that, together with the noise from the chats., you are garenteed to be woken up.

The shared bathroom/WC is actually terrible grade in my book , BUT it doesn't seems to be so bad among the standard of guest houses in Iran. I 've seen something worse, but this is one thing I really dislike about the Silk Road.

Breakfast is ok, very good as a hostel at this price.

I would say it is not a good, clean place to stay (I have to say I am rather picky about bathroom and WC) and there might better one around, BUT it is a good place to meet travelers.

WiFi is slow and unreliable, seems rather typical in many Iranian cities (except Tehran). Many web sites and services are blocked in Iran anyway.

Fix the bathroom/ toliet, make the dom (bed ) cleaner and I'd probably like it very much.

The guy stationing in the Silk Road, working for a travel agent is a nice and interesting guy, you can trust his advice and use his service. But he is not part of the hotel so that does not affect the rating of the hostel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank wilfredwong
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Booked directly with hotel by email. Reconfirmed 48 hours before giving arrival details. They responded - "Your booking it's ok-see you at the Silk Road". Arrived 5:30pm. No room left! Did not bother to apologise. Just simply 'no room'. Probably gave it away to one of the many backpackers hanging around in the courtyard.
Sent me to their other hotel without directions, assistance, or even notifying the replacement hotel (Oasis). If this is tyoical of how they treat guests, your stay will be mediocre at best. At worst you will be left withou anywhere to stay.
In 73 past reviews, I have never had to say 'do not stay here', bit sadly I must say that now.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo