“Dinner in the after-party style”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yazd
Vali Traditional Hotel
Ranked #5 of 29 Yazd B&B and Inns
Kyiv
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,026 helpful votes
“Dinner in the after-party style”
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Please, note that I have NOT stayed in Vali Traditional Hotel, so this review and rating is of their restaurant only.

The hotel sits in the very heart of the Old City of Yazd, opposite Shahzadeh Fazel Shrine, and not far from Mir Chaqmaq complex; in a lane slightly away from Imam Khomeini Str.

I was told this traditional house has recently been renovated. Very likely, because the restaurant looks new and is beautiful. The inner courtyard where it is located is large and very well lit. High (and lovely decorated) walls reflect in a relatively big pool in the middle of the courtyard, and altogether they make an impression of a spacious hall. The details of interior décor catch the eye. Rough metal heating construction in the middle of the pool must be the only disharmonising element.

The place seems to be still largely unknown to tourists, but is popular among locals. The restaurant was very busy on the night I was there, and the visitors were mostly Iranians; many brought their whole families to eat out.

You can choose between sitting on a takhte (flat podium seat with cushions), or a sofa by the tea table, or at a table. In any case you are never too far from the relaxing pool.

Compared to the other restaurants I visited in Yazd, the menu in Vali is extensive. I can not, however, remember seeing its English version, so not sure if the one is presently available.

I started with some Aubergine-based meals (could have been Kashk-e Bademjan, but I’m not 100pct sure) that was especially good if put inside an envelope made of a piece of flat bread. Then, inspired by my previous evening in Kohan (see separate review), decided to try Zereshk Polo ba Morgh – Saffron-flavoured Barberries Rice with Chicken – here, too. Doogh, mineral water and tea helped to ease dehydration after a busy day around the desert cities near Yazd.

Fair to say, I was starving when I got to Vali, so my impressions could have been impacted by hunger. In any case, the food here seemed one of the best I tried in Yazd.

Service was rather informal, no hotel- or restaurant-like. The meal was catered by slightly relaxed, but attentive young guys. It was more like hanging out in a lounge and after-partying than having a dinner, except that the meal was abundant and delicious.

I was very reluctant to leave and would gladly come back, if occasion ever offers.

P.S. After dinner, I chatted with a guy working there and was quoted USD 40-30 per night for accommodation; I understood that discounts are negotiable, too.

• Stayed December 2010
5 Thank Cora_v

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first

Been to Vali Traditional Hotel? Share your experiences!