New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Penyengat Island
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Smaller than you think...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I was told my someone who had been to the island in 2004 that there is an old mosque with egg whites used to put the walls together, a museum and an old palace or two. Some trip advisor search informed me that an island tour by the motored trishaw would be under 2 hours. My tour ended under 30 minutes for about USD2.5 per trishaw. My friends and I chartered a boat for the 8 of us from Tanjung pinang on Bintan Island, so that we would be waited on, USD3 per person. Being Muslims, we prayed in a mosque by the jetty when we landed and later was told by the caretaker that the mosque is some 200 years old with a hand-written Quran on display. Then in 4 motored trishaws we were taken "around" the island. Being uninterested in mausoleums, our drivers soon zoomed passed almost any "old" structures resulting in us missing the only palace being repainted - I had to ask my trishaw driver to turn back so that I could explore the site. Most are destroyed to avoid the Dutch having control of any "valuables", so I was informed. No museum that I saw. I think if you are in Bintan, spare some 1 hour or two for the island, if you like history. Else give it a pass and spend time relaxing at Lagoi instead.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Thermoprofessor

• Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Little island off the beaten track”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

My wife and I (as part of our hotel tour) took a boat over to this enchanting little island. Although we weren't sure at first, we managed to barter down with the longboat owner and thought it would be worth it.

When we landed, we jumped on a motorbike side car and toured the island this way - it was great fun. The brick winding roads took us around the island to see different cemeteries, an old municipal building, a fantastic view point and some Buddhist temples.

It was a great place to visit and away from any touristy spot! Well worth it if you get the opportunity to explore this ancient piece of Indonesian island territory.

Visited August 2012
6 Thank sandyandlydia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great Day Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Little boat ride from Tanjung Pinang to the island - $5 per person round trip.
Motorbike and sidecar around the island - $1 per person (seriously!).
King's palace, King's grave, Fort, Mosque... heaps more to see than what is advertised.
Really pleased we visited.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank biggreenman
Bali, Indonesia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great historical place on a tiny isle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

Penyengat island is a kingdom complex in the past centuries when Raja Ali Haji was ruled the district. The mosque that believed was made of egg-yolk and the palace complex is now waiting for UNESCO's approval as world culture heritage.

The island is roughly 2,500 m x 750 m wide with numbers of local residents along the eastern coast. Things are that it has neither tourist accommodation nor proper restaurant since visitors are normally taking short trip only. However, simple snack and soft drinks can be easily found throughout the place. You would need less than two hours to enjoy the whole destination without rush since the boat that noted as 'pompong' is available anytime to go back to the main island. There are so many restaurant along the coast of the main island offering local delicacies including seafood, Padang and even Chinese food.

Boat ride: 15 minutes from main island
Cost: negotiable to the boat operator
Dress code: smart casual

Visited November 2011
3 Thank Swesen
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“narrow island”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

city ​​that is very simple, narrow, and considerably less
i have never go like this island
Bad ><
islands which have no market, hotel

Visited July 2012