Pelangi Hotel
Hotel Sampurna Jaya(Tanjung Pinang)
$25
$21
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Panorama(Tanjung Pinang)(Great Value!)
$18
$14
Priceline
Hotel Laguna(Tanjung Pinang)
$28
$26
Priceline
Hotel Sunrise City(Tanjung Pinang)
$23
The Residence Bintan(Tanjung Pinang)
$204
$190
  • Pool
Orbitz.com
Serumpun Padi Mas Resort(Tanjung Pinang)
  • Beachfront
Paradise Hotel(Tanjung Pinang)
Hotel Halim(Tanjung Pinang)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsplenty of hot waterfree shuttlewelcome drinkswimming poolhot showerferry stationstar servicewater heaterindonesian foodfried ricereceptionistbintanfurniturethumbs
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I was there for 5 pleasant day, mainly because I was being treated like a King of France in Pelangi and safe travel around the lower half of the island. Compliment to their friendly and attentive service, am getting a lot of attention and care by the staff though out my stay.

First off, the pick up/transfer as mentioned by previous posters, is just great, convenient and best of all it's free, you get picked up on time, given the fact you have informed them in advance your arrival time. If you doubt about nobody coming to pick you up, there is a hotel within walking distance called Hotel Furia, it's their sister hotel, just ask the receptionist to get you a transfer to Pelangi.

We were upgraded upon check in, and led by their friendly staff to the restaurant for some welcome drinks, as recommended by previous posters, we had our first dinner there and good grief, being a chef myself, their food is just exceptional, very authentic Indonesian food, must try their "satays"(skewered n grilled meat) and seafood! The hotel offer to safe keep your passports for you, and will return it upon check out. A decent size pool, well maintained and a gym next to it, however the kids pool doesn't look too inviting.

The room is simple and basic, but all the appliances are functional, satellite tv with over 100 channels, from local, and international channels. Air-conditioned and hot shower. Very comfortable bed and they clean you room as long as you put out the sign or inform them at the reception before going into town. They provide transfer into town, and pick you up from town by waiting at the lobby of Hotel Furia.

Wifi Hotspot in the rooms, lobby, restaurant and even by the pool, and fruit platters are being served all the time without you asking for it, either when you're just chilling out by the pool, having a drink at the restaurant, or even waiting for your transfer at the lobby, you'll be constantly being looked after by their attentive staffs. Breakfast is great, although mainly local buffet, feel free to ask them for eggs and toast, and this is where you will get concentrated real fruit juices! Oh, they love to put a scoop of ice-cream on your juice, if you don't like it, let them know.

Although we loved the food so much, but it is always nice to head down to town, and look around at the market, and there is a restaurant in town called "Restoran Sederhana - Masakan Padang", a 2 story restaurant, very clean and attentive crews and great authentic Padang cuisine, for a very reasonable price, best seats on the second floor, overlooking the sea. Great food and go ahead and try out everything especially "Cincang"(tender beef stew).

Besides, there is a place called "Melayu Square", it's by the sea, open air, and local hawker food.

You can arrange a reasonable return transfer to Tricora Beach or Lagoi Beach in the north, Lagoi is very commercialized and touristic I assumed, so we went to Tricora instead, we were there during the weekdays, so we had the whole strip of beach for ourselves. You can rent one of the private huts and there are showers and changing room that you can use for a small fee. However, get yourself some snacks or drinks in town before take off. You can hardly find any shop/resto here in Tricora beach.

Although there isn't really much to do here in the southern part of Bintan, besides we are not very keen on the northern part as it looks like a fenced up gigantic amusement park & resort for us, we just love the culture and rustic Indonesian part of Bintan, people here are just genuinely friendly in general, they don't stare at you too much, and they really don't bother you too much, I feel 100% safe, even wandering around at night, so do walk around and you will find places to sit down for a drink(non-alcoholic) with the lovely locals and go to a spa where they offer traditional Javanese massage n spa. There is a KFC and PizzaHut, but I guess you don't come to Bintan for that.

Likewise, let the staff know before hand when do you need a transfer back to the jetty or airport, so they can arrange the transfer for you in advance. For those who travel via Singapore by ferry, although you may have paid for your return ticket, you still need to get your ticket "confirmed" and claim your boarding pass at Bintan before departure, tell the staff when will you be heading back and give them your return ferry ticket, they will sort it all out for you, and pass you the boarding pass a day before. So even that, they will take care of it for you, don't forget it is only 30USD per room per night plus we were upgraded.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank gl0betr0tter1972
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Went on a 3d2n deal purchase from 3-5March. It included a city tour of the city, Tanjung Pinang, lunch as well as dinner at the hotel.

My first impression of the hotel was "is this really it?" Even though the pictures didn't look impressive at all, they looked much nicer than what I was looking at. The hotel looked old and rundown. Inside, nothing fancy either. Our hotel room was gladly not in the 3 story main building but chalet style a few steps away.

Very basic facilities in the room. There was no kettle but hot water could be requested just a call away. There wasn't a hair dryer either. I requested 2 extra pillows for my comfort and it was gladly provided. The bed and aircon was very comfortable and I spent much of my time there sleeping. Even though there was wifi provided, it didn't work in the room all the time. We had to sit in the lobby for a consistent connection for both nights.

I only noticed the swimming pool and restaurant in the hotel and both were rather quiet. The water was clean for the adult pool but the water in the children's pool was stale. The food in the restaurant as well as room service was great! I had lamb chop and the sauce was delicious. They served authentic Indonesian food which is worth trying.

Even though the facilities in the hotel was lacking, the service that they provided was simply great. Everyone was a pleasure to talk to. Every request was attended to with a smile. Even if they were unable to solve the problem with the internet in the room, the effort that they put in was evident and for this they could not be discredited. Staffs were very responsible for their duties - As there wasn't a safety deposit box in the room, the front desk offered to keep our passports for us.

They were proactive as well. - While in the lobby using the wifi at night, the frontdesk officer when noticed us smacking mosquitoes, he offered us a packet of insect repellent cream to my delight. He also came to switch on the aircon without us asking.

On the 2nd night, I brought back from the beach 2 living 'seashells' just for fun and left them outside the hotel. When I came back looking for them later that evening, the security guard had put them safely in a corner and took them out for me to look at.

We were offered a late checkout on the 3rd day as our ferry back was at 4pm even though checkout was supposed to be at 12. For this I was very grateful.

The hotel has a shuttle bus service which sends their guests to the ferry terminal 1hour before their ferry back. We requested that we take an earlier shuttle so that we could visit the KfC that was in town. When we alighted at the ferry terminal, we asked the driver for directions so we could walk there but he told us to get back on so he could send us there instead.

The great service provided helped me overlook the lacking facilities and made my stay an enjoyable one. :)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hannah W
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I don't trust their staff. I had almost £200 stolen from my hotel room, when I had left to go to the spa!! Had one of the WORST TIME OF MY LIFE HERE. The staff here are rude and are not helpful AT ALL!! The police on this island are totally corrupted as well!! Would not write me a report so I could claim it back from Insurance!!! They sort of had some agreement with the hotel, so that tourists don't bring the name of the Pelangi hotel down!! It's absolutely RIDICULOUS. & the place definitely does not look as good as the photos! Go to one of the nice resorts up north instead!!

IF YOU DO DECIDE TO COME HERE, DO ASK FOR A HOTEL ROOM INDOORS!! WITH CCTV overlooking your rooms entrance!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room INDOORS!! With CCTV overlooking the entrance to your room!!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank DespiteOurFears
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Ran out of sojourns for the Chinese New Year holiday so made the mistake of visiting Tanjung Pinang in Bintan (that's the "capital" south of Bintan island, not the resorts in the north).

There was pretty much nothing to do- even dining options were limited. We did have a great time at two value-for-money spas though. Anyway, to be absolutely fair, most of the shops were closed for CNY, so the whole place might be more interesting off-season, but I doubt it.

Back to the hotel in question. This was a weather beaten, well-seasoned no-star hotel (and resort) consisting of a 4-storey main building and a cluster of little chalets beside. Facilities include a restaurant, a decent sized pool, and supposedly a gym (didn't check that one out).

Pros:
- The hotel was pretty far from town (7km) and there really isn't anything much within a 30 min walking radius. But they were happy to provide transport at fairly short notice to most places at a reasonable distance
- Free and fast internet
- Room was cheap: US$30 for the Standard Room
- Decent sized pool
- Restaurant serves pretty decent food at between local-and-singapore prices
- Staff was reasonably friendly - especially at the restaurant

Cons:
- Hotel is far from most action of any interest, as mentioned
- Rooms were old and tired, they were not cleaned on the next day (wondering if our failure to put up the "Clean My Room" sign had anything to do with it", bed was lumpy
- General cleanliness of the place could do with some work - the pool's perimeter overflow drain (most pools have overflow pool water running fast through them) had stagnant water that emitted a smell

Overrall, an average stay at a tired hotel.....just keep in mind the budget ($30) and it'll be ok. As they say, "you get what you pay for"!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dell73
Reviewed January 19, 2012

The pickup, shuttle and drop off service was very good and the hotel is reasonable value. However, as mentioned by previous reviewers, it is well out of town (although not as far as the Aston). We found the room very ordinary with several faults, including a mirror light bulb that was totally smashed. Tanjung Pinang isn't a very touristy area but was interesting.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple