“Magnificant & Spectacular”

Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in Kintamani
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hikers will enjoy climbing this volcano, and the rewards of the views into the crater and of the crystal clear waters of Lake Batur. (Note: visibility may be limited during the rainy season, Dec.-March.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Maginificant & Spectacular view of active Batur Volcano and Lake Batur. So near yet so far. Cool and amazing weather. Few restaurants to dine while enjoying the astounding and breathtaking views but are rather pricey and not very fantastic food.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,261)

Reviewed August 24, 2010

Although a little bit expensive and more challenging than the lonely planet would like to say this is a must do. The view at the top during sunrise makes you forget how tired you are from climbing an hour and a half without a proper breakfast! I probably took a 100 pictures in an hour. A piece of advice don't sleep at "under volcano" resort. Worst hotel EVER!

1  Thank Escreims
Reviewed May 27, 2010

I had a great time. We got picked up from our hotel (Bali Mandira) at 1am. It was a 2hr drive to the base and we started walking around 3.30. There were people there hiring out wind-jackets and I would definitely recommend hiring one or bringing your own. It is quite chilly at the top while you wait for the sunrise. Make sure you have good walking shoes, DEFINITELY take your own torch as we only had 3 between 7 of us and in the pitch black it is not a good scenario. You really need a head torch and a water bottle holder to put around your waist or neck as you really need both hands at certain levels of the walk. The guides were excellent and patient. I am pretty fit but it took its toll on me. The view was exhilarating and yes there was cloud but that disappeared. I was surprised to see so many other people up there. Possibly 150 others were climbing at the same time, but it was not intrusive at all. I expected it to be more barren and covered in dried lava, but it was very lush and green. Take some nibbles for the trip up, as we got offered a hard boiled egg (still in its shell) and mashed banana on 2 slices of bread for breakfast at the top. Bit disappointing also that they offered us drinks and then tried to charge for them. Who carries money on a walk up a volcano.!!! I was pretty hungry by the time I got down the mountain and needed some energy food. There were monkeys at the top and they were still quite wild but worth photographing. The walk down makes you aware of what you actually climbed in the dark and when I got to the base I thought to myself "if I had seen this walk in the day time I probably wouldn't have done it"...so I am glad we did it in the dark. The only thing I would check up on is when the ANNUAL RAVE PARTY happens there. Because you really want to avoid that. It was VERY INTRUSIVE on the whole mood. All we could hear for the 2 hrs up and time up there and then the walk down was this horrible beating music and coloured flashing lights and laser lights. I believe it goes on for 4 days each year, so maybe do your climb before or after the RAVE. Otherwise I would definitely recommend this walk....what a challenge and experience.

2  Thank MoocowMargaretRiver
Reviewed March 16, 2010

The view of Mount Batur at Kintamani was spectacular but my husband and I were really annoyed with the street peddlers that kept harrasing us to buy their souvenirs despite us repeatedly insisting we didn't want anything.

We had lunch at one of the restaurants (I can't remember the name) but the food was terrible and worst of all, it was a total rip off! We kept telling ourselsves we actually paid for the magnificent view and not the food!

Nevertheless, it is still an attraction and what is Bali without its beautiful scenery!

Reviewed March 3, 2010

We paid about $35 USD each in a group of 3 for our guide and started our climb at 4am. Path was okay at the beginning but when you're reaching the top, it starts to get steeper and lots of rocks so it's rather hard for me as a beginner. I did zero training, and my stamina is real bad, but my guide is good and he kind of pull me up all the way as I kept falling. My two other friends went ahead first with the drinks porter, and I managed to reach the top just in time for sunrise even tho I'm the last!

I have to say that it's one of my best and yet painful experience, and I really enjoyed it! Oh, not forgetting the pain you will get later, haha. It's worth a try if you haven't climb before. Just hold on to the guide for life if you're as bad as me. :D

Good pair of shoes is a must, and windbreaker too. A stick will also help to ease your climb as you tend to slip off the rocks easily. Oh, by the way the sunrise wasn't good as there's clouds, but everything else is good.

Been to Mount Batur? Share your experiences!