“Makes you want to climb more mountains”
Review of Mount Batur

Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in Kintamani
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hikers will enjoy climbing this volcano, and the rewards of the views into the crater and of the crystal clear waters of Lake Batur. (Note: visibility may be limited during the rainy season, Dec.-March.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We did this climb (the one that started at 3.30am at the Guides office, you are at the lookout by 6.15am and then you walk the crater for another hour, back down by 10.30am).

As we had a car, we organised it ourselves at the Guide office between Kedisan and Toya Bungkah so we would not get ripped off by the local guys following us on their motorbikes (everywhere you go in the area). We paid 250,000rp each, but later found out that we could have got it cheaper at our hotel, oh well. Our guide actually earned every cent as I nearly fell 3 times and he caught me.

The last hour of the climb is straight up and I got a bit of vertigo and needed to stop to rest a few times (and I thought I was fit). Another guy followed us the whole way carrying bottles of soft drink, it almost made us feel guilty, like we had to buy one, but I don't drink soft drink and he didn't talk at all so, with guilt, we ignored him.

Our guide was friendly and told us his life story how he loved and lost and will never marry as he will never find true love again. His girlfriend ran off with another man 1 week before they were going to marry. I found this a strange story for a Balinese as I believed all Balinese just had to marry and have children but interesting.

I didn't bring a jacket with me and a light rain started at 5am, when we reached the top I was sooo cold, my guide lent me his jacket and just came back to me every 5 mins to get a cigarette from the pocket (he smoked the whole trip up, which was one of the reasons I had to stop a few times as I cannot exercise and breath in cigarette smoke.

The sunrise was disappointing as we had cloud cover so we moved on further up the mountain and sat on hot rocks to dry our clothes, then the fog rolled in and viability was zero so we had to go back down, even though we had paid to go around the top for another hour for breakfast (no money back though, and no breakfast), we had to wait for our guide as he had his breakfast, this was annoying as we wanted to just get moving.

All in all, I would never do this climb again but having reached the top I did feel an exhilaration and sense of achievement, especially surviving the chain smoking guide. I did want to climb more mountains, I think "Everest' blurted out of my mouth at some stage, must have been delirious.

I was surprised to see dogs at the top, very skinny ones, I wished I had more than bananas on me. On the way down we came across 2 very large monkeys they enjoyed my bananas.

The last hour across the lava fields really hurt my legs as you are walking a slight downhill but your muscles have been used to going a steep uphill. It is very slippery on the way down and don't wear good shoes as they get blacked by the lava.

Make sure you take a light jacket and sunblock, we didn't think of this and I got burnt in the morning walking back to the car, the sun was quite intense, which was so strange as it had been so cloudy at the top.

Afterward I slept until our checkout at 12noon, and I really could have slept longer, I don't know how people do this climb and then do other activities.

Suggested what to bring:

Hat
Sunblock
Light jacket
light top long sleeve, that you can take off when it gets really hot in the morning
wear a t-shirt
Long lightweight pants
small backpack for water and snacks
Your guide will have torches

11  Thank MelbourneCoffeeAdict
Write a ReviewReviews (2,232)

Reviewed September 24, 2009

The best thing to do......this was the first hike ever....and I made it to the top in time for the sunrise.....though I was in pain for a couple of days after that I'm glad we did it....

Reviewed September 5, 2009

Initially we planned to climb Gunung Agung, which is the highest mountain in Bali, after the Gunung Rinjani plan failed. But we were told by the tour agent that even though Gunung Batur doesn’t rival Gunung Agung in stature, but its accessibility and beauty are beatable especially the view of sunrise. So changed our mind and hike Gunung Batur instead.

It was about 2 hours drive from Sanur to Batur. 2 hours in the van at 1a.m. in the morning… what else can I do besides sleeping? Yup, I took a 2 hours nap in the car but couldn’t sleep at all as the van was too shaky. While doing nothing in the car, let me introduce to you the background of Gunung Batur.

*******************************************************************************************
Height: 1,717 meter
Major jump-0ff: Toya Bungkah, Kedisan, Bali
LLA: 8.242° S 115.375° E, 1717 MASL
Hours to summit: 3-4 hours (depend on your speed)
Specs: Minor climb, difficulty 5/10
Features: Volcanic sand, night trek

~~ Tour Guide Fees: ~~
Rp 370k per person (We got it cheaper than the prices offered in the brochures that we got from the airport).

It was an 8 hours hiking tour from 3a.m. to 12p.m. includes exploration of crater rim and the transportation.

The hike wasn’t difficult compare to some of the mountains in Malaysia. The only different is the ground is formed by the volcanic sand and rocks. The routes were very rocky that I kept tripped by the rocks. The volcanic sand and rocks add the difficulty to the hike as the route was slippery. At about 4a.m., when we were half way to the peak, we looked down to the mountain and saw many lights in the distance, each one a group coming up the mountain behind us along the trail we had just covered.

At the Summit
Finally we reached summit at 5a.m. It was too early for the sunrise, as the sun only rises at 6a.m. There was a hut at the summit for resting and to serve drinks and food. I have to say that it was extremely freezing cold that it reminded me of the winter time in Jiu Zhai Gou. It wasn’t a good experience without bringing any jacket at all.

The sun was finally rising! The wind was so strong early in the morning that it was such a tortured experience to have to stand in the wind but we must defeat the coldness to fully admire the sunrise.

Here we admired the sun slowly lighting the whole lake, caught glimpses of Gunung Rinjani, Gunung Abang and Gunung Agung.

After the sunrise, we were ready to explore the crater rim and descent by another route. We stopped by at the crater to have our hard-boiled eggs as breakfast! The eggs were buried inside the steam hole.

On the way back we finally saw the trail for the first time as it was too dark to see anything during the night hike. The same sandy volcanic trail that we had to scramble! Some sections of the trail were too sandy and steep that we had to let ourselves free fell by letting our shoes slid down the sand for hundreds meters. It was really exciting and one of the coolest experience that we wouldn’t find other than volcano or desert.

This is one of the best hiking experience I have.

You might also visit http://www.travel-living-bliss.com/bali-day-3-mount-batur/ for more details and the photos taken. Hope it helps.

10  Thank Shelz-lyn
Reviewed August 7, 2009

Yes, this is a physically demanding climb for most people. Yes, there are loose rocks on the trail that you can slip on. Yes, the guides are more expensive than the rest of Bali. BUT ....once you get to the top and see the sunrise over the peaks it is all worthwhile. Keep an eye out for those pesky monkeys who are waiting to steal your breakfast and enjoy the view!! I think even though it is an early morning the views at sunrise are better and the heat won't get to you. A must "do" if you are able.

2  Thank Kmanock
Reviewed July 5, 2009

I did not do the sunrise climb. My climb started close to noon and ended around 4pm. It was not an easy climb. I would suggest wearing proper gear (sports/hiking shoes, long pants, long-sleeved shirt and even gloves...). We started at over 1000 m over sea level to climb the balance 717m to the peak. Initially, it was flat land and thereafter slopes. The slopes then gave way to rocky outcrops. Whilst the severity of the slopes were manageable, it was the paths which were the killer. The paths, at some stretches, were either just loose stones or sand - which made climbing and braking difficult. Our guide carried some of our items (mostly water). There is a shelter when you reach the first rest point. From here, you can see Lombok and Denpasar on a clear day. We then continued to "walk" around the crater. Personally, I found it slightly dangerous. At some points, the path was less than a meter wide, with steep cliff surfaces on both sides. And at other points where there are no paths, you have to step slowly on the cliff surface itself. Another part I found difficult was the descend as the loose sand on the slopes made it difficult for one to walk. The fact that two steep cliff surfaces flank each side of you did not help as well! Whilst the climb was manageable, the fatigue robs your concentration/focus easily and can result in falls. My partner had a much easier time.

We paid 450,000rp each. There were different routes with different costs. A trip up and down to the mountain (most basic) costs 300,000rp. Then, if you add the walk around the crater, it would be 450,000rp. Finally, if you then descend using a different path (to see the newer craters) and to end at the hot springs - it would cost 600,000rp.

The view is very beautiful and worth the climb. But, for the not so fit, I would reccomend to just do the climb up and exclude the crater walk..

3  Thank Annil_t