“Breathtaking views!”

Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Kintamani
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hikers will enjoy climbing this volcano, and the rewards of the views into the crater and of the crystal clear waters of Lake Batur. (Note: visibility may be limited during the rainy season, Dec.-March.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Breathtaking views!”
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

We visited My Batur with Bali Eco Cycling tours. Enjoyed a wonderful breakfast at the lakeside restaurant. The view is just breathtaking, probably the best I've ever had the privilege of seeing.

1 Thank Mel-Shaun

• Vietnamese first
Worcester, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Tiring, but well worth it!”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Waking up to leave ubud at 2:30 was a bit difficult! But the journey was only about an hour, so it wasn't long before we were starting our trek. Our guides when we arrived at the foot of mount batur handed us water and torches (which were working perfectly all the way) and we were off.
The first half an hour was an easy walk along a gravelly/ sandy path and fairly flat. It soon got rocky and started to go steeply up as you got further along the path. Closed toe shoes are a must, and although one of our group did the walk in canvas shoes, she definitely would not recommend it and my feet even hurt in proper trekking shoes.
The guide was helpful but not great at English and so we didn't learn an awful lot that we hadn't already read in guidebooks, but they were keen and cooked a much appreciated breakfast at the top, of banana sandwiches and boiled eggs.
The downside of this trip is that you are trekking with around 200 others- it's definitely a tourist trap... but it's also most definitely worth the walk- fabulous views at sunrise and after.
We wore shorts/ thin trousers and t shirts and for English people in August that was ok. We put a thin jumper on at the top as we waited for sunrise, but probably could have managed without.
The path is slippy at times, I did fall once or twice- but nothing serious. Going down is harder than going up purely because it's hard on your knees. We're fairly active and the trek was fine for us although others found it harder and were very tired at the top.
We encountered 2children, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone below teenagers because it's quite treacherous at times (particularly as you near the top) and it's a long way and a hard climb for little legs.
Thoroughly enjoyable though, great for the price (we booked on ubud the night before and for a discount, paying 700,000 rp for the two of us which included transport, a guide and a couple of stops on the way home- to the coffee plantation and the temple. I think the company were one stop trekking. Enjoy!

Visited August 2014
2 Thank Ellie S
Singapore, Singapore
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Mt Batur volcano sunrise trek”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Joined Bali Eco tour for a sunrise trek and they are very professional. Our group consist of 10 pax and they have 3 guides to follow us through. So regardless if you are fast or slow, you have a guide looking after you. Whether you catch a sunrise or not doesn't really matters as reaching the top with spectacular view and fresh air makes you think everything is worth it. Cool weather in June.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank typical_uranian
Singapore, Singapore
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We hired a car and driver to take us from our resort and drive through the paddy fields to get to Kintamani and to see the volcanoes. The rice were beautiful and we stopped at the The Rice Terrace Cafe for some pics and refreshments. We then continued up to the volcanoes and drove around to get the best views. Unfortunately we couldn't go down to Lake Batur and the Lava Forest as there had been an accident on the road. If you venture this high up in the clouds take a long sleeved top or wrap as it is distinctively cooler than when you're at the beach. Great opportunity for photos. Lunch in the restaurants are all pretty much the same.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank lisamacc
Naracoorte, Australia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Stunning!”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

I was not sure what to expect on this tour as I booked online through a 3rd party. The shuttle was prompt but be warned, it's an early morning pick up and a long drive! My guide was fantastic and I was the only one in my group as my friend didn't end up coming. He was very helpful on the very tough bits of the climb. Make sure you have good walking or hiking shoes. Once at the top it is like any mountain - freezing! So don't be fooled into thinking you won't need a jumper while you are hiking up. You get a banana sandwich at the top which from what I read online was meant to be a breakfast cooked in the volcano but I refuse to judge this on breakfast as the experience was amazing! Now I want to do it again!

Visited February 2014

Been to Mount Batur? Share your experiences!