“Awestruck”

Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Kintamani
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hikers will enjoy climbing this volcano, and the rewards of the views into the crater and of the crystal clear waters of Lake Batur. (Note: visibility may be limited during the rainy season, Dec.-March.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Mumbai (Bombay), India
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Awestruck”
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

The sight of the open cones of the mountain top and the trail of volcanic ash quite blows the mind. What is even more amazing is that there are human settlements starting from where the ashes end.
We had a lovely lunch with a great view of the mountains. You can see truck after truck plowing its way through the volcanic ash, probably collecting the same for industrial use.
Do take some time out to visit. Don't take the buffet or other food choices in the restaurants over looking the mountains without checking. Many of them have very poor quality food.

Visited May 2014

59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

We were picked up by private tour bus at 2am. The hike up the volcano was long but very rewarding upon completion. Definitely bring a flashlight and sturdy hiking shoes. The last bit of the hike was the most difficult because we were treading volcanic sand. The view was amazing. Monkeys were friendly as well.

1 Thank Deborah W
Sin
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Magnificent view!”
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

We are non trekkers but do 2-3 times of 1-hour cardio exercise each week (cycling, swimming or zumba). We started the trek at abt 430am. After 1hr40mins later, we reached the sunrise viewing point of Mt Batur. Looking at the tones of red, then orange to feeling the heat of the sun against your skin... magnificent! Spent some time sitting on the benches enjoying the picturesque view while waiting for breakfast from the tour operator.

After simple breakfast of boiled eggs, banana sandwich and hot coffee, we were shown the craters and holy cave.

The descent took slightly over 2 hours for us due to the slippery stones. The next days, our muscles ached. We felt there is a certain level of danger during the trek but we thought it was worth it! We recommend wearing appropriate attire (light jacket/rain coat) and footwear.

Singapore, Singapore
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Thought I was going to die”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

but I made it.. and guess what- it was totally worth it! My villa was on the other side of the island, which meant I had to get up 1 AM to start driving. We arrived to the mountain around 3 AM and started climbing. At first it was very cold but once you start climbing it gets very hot. It took around 2 hours to get up and probably were the worst hours in my life. However, I made it and I loved the view! I didn't have any breakfast, just took loads of pics and enjoyed the view. After the sunrise the rays were reflecting on the clouds just beneath us- it literally took my breath away!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank KaiaSing
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Magnificent cloud of sea, grass field on mountain”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I planned and anticipated this sunrise trek 1 week before I go to Bali because this is going to be my first time hiking a volcano, even better, an active one. I booked through balivolcano.com (600,000 rupiah/person), it's slightly more expensive than Baliecocycling (480,000 rupiah/person) but this is the only company I manage to get email address to ask about details.

This trek was awesome! Unique soil and rocks throughout the trekking route makes it difficult to hike up the hill (the rocks are loose and wobbly when we step on it). Also, waking up at 1:30am and sleeping for only 2 hours makes us lack the stamina. But, nonetheless, it's worth it because when you reach the peak after 1 hr 45 mins you'll see the sky slowly turn to red and then orange and the thick cloud of sea was the most magnificent view I've seen (I've climbed 15 mountains/hills combined in Malaysia and Korea but never seen such a thick and beautiful sea cloud before).

We then went down the other longer route to view more calderas. This route has more grass, less loose rocks and the views are more spectacular, nice wide-angled view of large grass field on mountain, looking down at the wide spread of ash covering the land below, the huge lake, and the sandy slope to go downhill. It's a great experience!

The website says it's a simple hike, but I think one must have at least some experience in hiking to hike Mt. Batur to avoid injuries, because of the loose rocks (higher risk of injuries for newbie who don't know which step to set foot on). In my opinion, the longer route is a more newbie-friendly route.

And yes, there's NO toilet/bathroom. We did it among the grass.

Visited May 2014

Been to Mount Batur? Share your experiences!