“Breathtaking scenery”

Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in Kintamani
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hikers will enjoy climbing this volcano, and the rewards of the views into the crater and of the crystal clear waters of Lake Batur. (Note: visibility may be limited during the rainy season, Dec.-March.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Have never seen a volcano and I was not disappointed, the scenery was beautiful. As others have said you are overwhelmed with the fact that it is an active volcano. We didn't go hiking or walking in the area just viewed the Volcano and lake from afar, but got some beautiful photographs. Ate lunch overlooking the Volcano and lake, didn't want to leave. When we got to the area our driver stopped so we could take photographs we got out to take them and were bombarded by women and children trying to sell you things (very tacky and poor quality goods), and if you show any interest then they don't leave you alone, it spoilt it for us and we didn't take any photographs at this point, they were so in our face it wasn't possible (can totally understand that this is probably there only income, but they should learn that if they kept there distance they would probably get more sales) So my advice is just say no from the start however cute the children are, we did this further along the road and were left alone. As you enter the location there is a stop point and you have to pay approx $1 per person to enter the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,232)

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Don't miss this incredible site, it is a must see in Bali. Make sure you have a camera, this is the photo opportunity of a lifetime.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I was so eager to reach this place, & it was more than what I expected :) .. The view is more than breath-taking, the breeze/wind is refreshing & the whole feeling is overwhelming when you realize this is an ACTIVE volcano! There are some restaurants that have direct view over the volcano, but the best one was just across the street .. You'll also find some souvenirs shops here & there ..

The only downside was that we had to pay 15,000 IDR each as an entrance fee! I'm not how is that logic! We were not entering any fenced place! It could've been a scam, so better watch out ..

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I won't go into the details of how beautiful and breathtaking the views are from atop Mt. Batur as most have already covered this. Definitely worth a visit, if you have time.

Now the downside. There are some, not all, but some guides who are very aggressive and literally act like thugs. Contrary to what they may tell you, you are allowed to visit the volcano without a guide. At least that is what both some locals and Lonely Planet have told me. My wife and I visited the volcano and were not planning on paying a guide 400,000 IDR for the privilege of taking a hike since we have both GPS and a pretty detailed map of the trails in an app (Maps with me Pro).

We were confronted by one guide who just started shouting at us when we told him we were looking for an admissions office and did not have money for a guide. He subsequently went on to watch over me while my wife went to check out the entrance to the trail. We did not speak in the meantime. While waiting, another guide (his friend, I assume) came over to ask if I needed a guide. I told him we did not have money for a guide. The original guide again started shouting at me for no reason, saying that I did not respect their country and he would bring me to the police.

Having found the entrance to the trails, we subsequently went to park our moped at a local restaurant. The owner was kind enough to let us do so and an older gentleman congratulated us on not using a guide since the trail was straightforward. As we went to the entrance, the two guides drove by, with a third guide in tow holding a stick, to beat us there. Long story short, there was a lot of aggression and threatening moves (i.e I would be hit if I decided to continue down the path).

Anyway, after a few detours and trying to lose them while they followed us, we eventually lost them and made it into the volcano area. The hike was magnificent! Since we started late morning, there was no one at the crater except us! We encountered a few guides asking us if we needed a guide on the way and when we said no, they did not say it was illegal to not have one, so I assume it is OK.

These guides really gave the locals a bad image. Please be careful of a bald/skinhead guy driving a red Ninja motorbike. The others I cannot give a descriptive description. If you are on a budget, an unguided hike may be the best bet.

5  Thank AK C
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Climbing Mount Batur to see the sunrise was the highlight of our trip! We hired a private driver who took us from Kuta at 2 a.m. to start climbing at 3:30. We met up with our trekking guide, who was very helpful and informative, and it took us about two hours to get to the top. It was quite an effort, and we were pretty sweaty by the end, but it is so worth it. Climbing by flashlight under a starry sky is thrilling, and watching the pre-dawn turn into a sunrise over the nearby and distant mountains is simply spectacular. At the top we were pleasantly surprised to find that the volcano is active, and you can play in the steam vents. There are also some friendly monkeys to visit. Some tips: bring toilet paper and be prepared to go in the bush. Also, don't be fooled if someone tries to tell you it's an easy climb - it's not. The last half hour especially is quite steep, and at times you're almost climbing hand over hand. You MUST wear good, sturdy shoes and you should bring a good sweater to change into - it's cold at the top. Breakfast was provided to us, but if you're not into hard-boiled eggs in a plastic baggie I'd recommend bringing some snacks.

1  Thank Emma J