“breathtaking view” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 31 things to do in Kintamani
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hikers will enjoy climbing this volcano, and the rewards of the views into the crater and of the crystal clear waters of Lake Batur. (Note: visibility may be limited during the rainy season, Dec.-March.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“breathtaking view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

it was a great experience at mount batur. good weather and the view is perfect while having lunch. but, the lunch buffet at the restaurant is pricey. highly recommended!

Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Difficult climb but beautiful view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

The climb was hard as I was not the most fit person but my husband found it okay. The view at the top was beautiful. We didn't see the sunrise as the weather was bad and it was very foggy. However it was an incredible experience.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Vivi195
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great view worth the effort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

We started trekking at 330am and my two friends rented jackets as they did not come prepared for the chilly weather. If you're planning to do this, come prepared in good running shoes and windbreaker. The climb up was steep and be careful of loose stones. We reached the top at about 5.15am and the view is amazing. Loved how helpful and nice our trekking guide was. The trek down is steep and rough so you have to be extra careful.

17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“Fabulous Sunrise trek with a trustworthy guide.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

I enlisted Esnawan's help again for the Mount Batur trek, after my enjoyable time with him when i went trekking at Mount Bromo last September. Esnawan was right on time and waited for us at our villa in Seminyak at 2.00am.

Once we were out of Seminyak, we drove towards the direction of Denpasar before taking the Jalan A. Yani route up north. It was a refreshing change compared to the day time when there are no traffic on the road now. We carry on going north but leaning east and drove into Batubulan Village which is situated in Gianyar Regency. Batubulan Village is an exclusive village in Bali which most people who live here have the abilities to carve out beautiful stone sculptures. According to the ancient myth, the sculpture making skill was god given and this ability was later on pass down generations. Lining up along both sides of the narrow streets are rows of buddha, ganesha and goddess sculptures. It was an hour and a half since we started off from Seminyak as we finally pass through Batubulan Village and then Ubud. I reckon we should be able to reach the starting point of our Mount Batur trek in another 45 minutes or less.

The combination of the earthy scent in the night breeze and the occasional whiff of citrus smell from the mandarin oranges trees in the hills seems to have invigorated me as i noticed a huge signboard upfront with the word Kintamani. It is 4.15am and we have finally arrived at the home of Mount Batur. After meeting up with a local guide, we proceeded with the trek. Out of nowhere, a little girl with a small backpack started tagging along. She initiated some conversation but left shortly after failing to convince us from buying a bottle of coke. My friends and i look spirited despite the darkness in the woods, it was quite a straight forward trek especially with the lights illuminating from the torch lights which the other trekkers are holding.

The entire duration of the trek takes approximately 1 hour and 45minutes with half the time on gentle slope and another half the time on steep slope. One bad thing about walking in the dark is that you never know how far you been walking, every trees or pathway look pretty much the same. I suppose when the gentle slope ended after walking for some time and when what stands right in front of you looks like a wall of rock, you start to realise the magnitude of the climb. Raising our head, we saw a roll of lights streaming vertically up the mountain and this was when one of our female friend started freaking out. After the last 20 mintues of silence from her which i take it that she was trying to conserve her energy, she suddenly exclaimed loudly, "I am going to wait here for you all, i don't think i can climb further".

After some pacifying and reassuring from Esnawan which i am very sure he is good at it, we carry on with our climb. After the climb, it was almost 6.00 am when we finally reached our viewing point. Despite the cold air, my whole body was totally wet in my own perspiration.

The sunrise in the morning, it was a fleeting one. A sudden burst of light in the sky but was covered by a thick veil of fog. We waited patiently in anticipation for the fog to clear and out came a stunning deep purple overcast covering the twilight blue hue in the sky. With the fiery orange glow slowly rising past the horizon, a sudden gush of fog blanket the entire sky again. Like a beauty, flirting with her every moves, the fog linger and shift with the breeze offering the excited crowd glimpses of the gorgeous landscape. With the land slowly warming up and the sun dissipated the fog, what stood right in front of us was Mount Abang and Batur Lake. Beyond that was the imposing Mount Rijani which sits shrouded by heavy clouds in the distance on Lombok island. Just by staring at Mount Rijani from afar gives me the chill but i am silently nursing the thought of scaling it one day.

On the overall, the climb is very straight forward and despite the initial shock you might get when you see the steep slope rising up the mountain, it is really just a pretty simple climb. Imagine climbing stairs continuously for 45 minutes. It really all boils down to the perseverance in climbing in the dark. If you worked out frequently, you wouldn't feel much when you make it to the top. If you don't, the most you will get is some aching in the thighs or the calves. Bring along some water to hydrate while climbing. I will recommend that you get yourself a head touch instead of a handheld torch if you are someone who like to keep your hands free to support yourself when scaling the mountain. I have done a few trekking at different places and usually you will need a local guide, the reason is to safeguard their livelihood and also to ensure that you don't get hurt. I can say that of so many places, the local guide at Mount Batur is pretty professional and i was even made to filled up a survey form to evaluate their performance after the trek.

Most people do the sunrise trek like us by engaging an agent. The package usually include transportation from your place of lodging to Mount Batur, the cost of the local guide, entrance fee to Mount Batur, some simple breakfast on the mountain and the transportation back to your place of lodging. I engaged Esnawan for the trek since i have done another trek with him before at Mount Bromo, off Surabaya. That speaks how trustworthy he is to me. You can reach him at nathantour(dot)blogspot(dot)com and i am sure you wouldn't feel disappointed.

Go forth, scale Mount Batur and enjoy the gorgeous sunrise.

Visited July 2013
11 Thank Danzelho
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Great View, Great Experience, Great Guides”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

Before you start climbing, you have to be well prepared as it's definitely not a easy climb. But neither it is that hard too. I've seen kids and elderlies who made it to the top as well!

Sunrise gotta depends on your luck, whether it is clear or sunny. Which in my case it was rather cloudy so sunrise wasn't that fantastic.

But standing on top overlooking the whole Batur Caldera is just simply breathtaking. Really worth your 2hrs climb up. The mountain guides are also very helpful and friendly. Mine is a young 19yo female guide and amazingly she is much fitter than me! Did not even hear a single panting from her while climbing up. And she is always constantly checking if I'm okay. Very caring guide indeed.

You can also have a good view of the main crater which is still emittiing steam from the bottom, and many cute monkeys roaming around the crater!

Overall a good experience trekking up a volcano! If you conquered this, you can move on to Agung next!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Xuan Cheng L

Been to Mount Batur? Share your experiences!