“Luckily it didn't rain that afternoon.”
Review of Mount Batur

Ranked #1 of 41 things to do in Kintamani
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hikers will enjoy climbing this volcano, and the rewards of the views into the crater and of the crystal clear waters of Lake Batur. (Note: visibility may be limited during the rainy season, Dec.-March.)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 13, 2013

once you get off your vehicle at the kintamini restaurant one is awestruck by the sheer beauty of the place. the ash of the previous eruption can still be seen down the slopes. lake batur and its calmness simply take you close to nature. one can zoom in with their lenses to see a village along the lake batur's far side, where the dead are placed lakeside to dessicate and not buried.

weather is the key here if you are lucky enough u may see the mountain top to the right of Kintamini volcano.

Beware of the Hawkers selling cheap stuff. they may get on your nerves,best is to avoid them.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,288)

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Visited as part of a tour we did. The views from Kintamani across the lava fields and lake are stunning. Well worth a visit and don't forget your camera. The only downside are the people there selling tatty jewelry who will hassle you to buy, but usually go away after a polite no thank you.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is not a walk in the park for sure. I was surprised at the effort it took and felt really good at completing it. 6kms in length and a climb of 2,250 ft. (686m) in the dark but it was worth every step. Good shoes essential and walking stick(s) preferable. Official guides were helpful and attentive, reasonable English. Breakfast of boiled egg & banana sandwich at the top most welcome, entertainment by very well behaved monkey troupe an added extra!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Going with the flow & my sisters suggestion to do this climb with my niece (she wasn't able to) I was in Bali mojo & said why not? Hmmm, a semi fit 54 y/o (I love walking)& 29 y/o marathon runner & a guide that I am sure is part mountain goat. Our regular driver Wayan (excellent) who we have been using for 3 years around Ubud took us up & sorted a guide for us, so we didn't use a tour operator as such, He had some brekky in the car for our drive something I can't do @ 2.30a.m but was a nice gesture.
As others have said this trip is hard going if you are not that fit, but easy if you are. My niece had no problems even with a cold where I really raised a sweat & was puffing in the latter 1/3 of the climb as I clung onto tufts of grass & tree stumps to haul myself up. On hind site the pace the guide set was probably a bit fast for me,as my niece kept up with him easily.(my fault not his as I tried to keep his pace as long as I could, & should have rested longer). at the 1/2 point our guide informed us going down was harder & when I realized it would be daylight & I'm scared of heights I did get a little sick at the thought.
At the viewing summit I told the guide to take my niece all the way & I would stay, so off they went without a rest.She did find the last part a challenge so I'm glad I stayed.It was quite cool & windy waiting for the sunrise, so DO take a jacket as the sweat you work up on the climb, quickly chills
The sunrise was well worth it, a clear day & I was surprised how quick it was, you blinked & it was in up. The monkeys that came down to visit the crowd were cute as well.
The down hill was harder but our guide held my hand & we twirled & whirled in some kind of weird 'waltz' down all the scary parts & I didn't have time to be scared of the height as I was concentrating so much on your footing so as not to slip.
All in all, was it worth it???? Yes
Would I do it again??? No
I was glad I did it 'going with the flow' as I probably would have backed out if I had researched it too much.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Most of the time it rains in Bali in the afternoon. The probability of raining in the mornings is less, but cannot be ruled out. Hence one has to take a chance in the mornings. One should reach there around 9 am and try ones luck. I am not too sure if one can see the volcano from a distance. For the best view of the volcano one has to take the trek to the mountain.