Open today: 7:00 AM - 11:15 PM

from $35.00
from $55.00
from $40.00
2,671 results
All reviews active volcano loose rocks worth the effort volcanic sand beautiful sunrise trekking shoes eggs the sun rise easy climb worth the climb bread early morning head torch nice view tour company local guide buffet lunch
Reviewed February 19, 2013

A 2am start from Ubud hideously early; after 40 minutes we stopped at a "coffee house" for delicious banana pancakes and coffee. A rather miserable luwak (civet cat) in a cage advertised the world famous "poo-coffee". Bleak and sad at that hour. To the lake and then a 2 hour hike in total darkness to the summit. Our party were generally healthy and fit but without much recent training. The 60 year olds did it easily though with effort. Sadly the clouds rolled in just at sunrise but then cleared again to give magnificent views of the lake; volcanic lava flows; Mt Agung in the distance and then even Lombok island across the northern strait. Magnificent. We had no special clothes or climbing footwear and did it without difficulty in shorts / t-shirts / trainers though in the morning 18 degrees C at the top non cotton tops and some form of jacket would have been more comfortable.
Well worth the subsequent fatigue and achey thighs and a good response to the delicious Balinese food we have been having 3+ meals a day.

Date of experience: February 2013
1  Thank SDBBrisbane
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I've climbed this mountain a few times with friends, I have to get up early in the morning around 2:30 am, traveling from ubud about an hour, at about 3:30 am we started to walk to the top, about 2 hours to the top, above we could eat breakfast with bread, bananas, and a glass of Bali coffee, about 30 minutes we waited for sunrise, view from the top is very beautiful, I want to go back ....

Date of experience: December 2012
1  Thank cheburUbud_Indonesia
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Best sunset we've ever seen.

Did not get lucky in terms of our "guide". She was over weight, and was not able to point anything out to us as she didn't speak English with frequent stops to rest. Because of this did not make it to the very peak of the Mt.
-With this said, we made it to the top lookout point where most go and it was perfect. Also, our guide was very friendly & apologized for her lack of English ahead of time.

Left our hotel in Ubud @3AM, began the climb @4AM

-Bring enough water. The guys selling water charge 25000Rp for tap water! (5000 for new bottles anywhere else!)

Goodluck and pray for clear non-cloudy weather!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I travelled alone to Bali over a long weekend to simply get away from it all and this was to be the highlight of my trip. I didn't want the hassle of organising anything so made the arrangements with my hotel just outside Ubud. Probably more expensive than generally advertised, but definitely hassle free - we arrived, parked up and a guid appeared and off we went. I paid 800,000rp which included transport to and from the hotel, a packed breakfast, a guide who took me by scooter a mile or so to the foot of the volcano before we began our ascent.

I wore good walking boots for which I was very grateful - the climb is up loose lava in the dark and requires a fair bit of scrambling. It took me 2 hours to complete the ascent with short breaks along the way and reached the viewpoint at about 0530. I'm a reasonably fit and active late 40s and had no problems but I don't think I would recommend this for anyone who doesn't exercise regularly or has health problems.

The stars during the ascent were well worth stopping to look at (a good excuse to take a breather) and the sunrise although obscured by mist was a lovely sight. A pity it was so misty I couldn't see the crater very clearly but the views on the descent were absolutely incredible.

I would say the temperature while waiting for sunrise at the viewpoint is about 15 degrees so I had a lightweight, windproof jacket and a multi-purpose headband which was more than sufficient.

I had a cup of Bali coffee at the viewpoint which was delicious and very welcome but didn't have the breakfast since I was had my packed breakfast from the hotel,although my guide did bring me a piece of fried banana.

Date of experience: February 2013
1  Thank LoriandPaul64
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

We started trekking at 3am. It was very dark and the path was rocky and somehow steep. We used the big umbrellas from the hotel as walking sticks, very useful and helpful. My husband had to rest a few times during the trekking cos he was panting badly. A good pairs of shoes for trekking is recommended. It's windy and cold during the wait at the summit so bring a jacket with you but you can rent one at US$5 too.

5  Thank TanSK27