“A scam restaurant set-up to rip you off”

Tepi Danau, Rumah Makan
Ranked #22 of 23 Restaurants in Kintamani
Cuisines: Indonesian, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Surabaya, Indonesia
“A scam restaurant set-up to rip you off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I dropped into this restaurant while riding to Lake Batur. There's a number of restaurants perched along a ridge which overlooks the lake and the surrounding mountains. Tepi Danau is one of these, so needless to say it has excellent views of the area.
Our experience of this restaurant was this; customers are offered a buffet meal once you are seated. There are no prices on the menu and the waitress who serves you quotes you a price plus taxes. As there is no set price for the buffet, different customers will be charged different amounts. For example, my girlfriend and I were charged 95,000 Rp each (including taxes), a French gentleman in front of me was charged 150,000 for his meal, and a lone cyclist who stopped there to eat was charged 60,000 for his meal.
As far as the food goes, it was fine. The problem here is that this place tries to scam customers for as much as they can get out of them and is not apologetic about this at all. Once I found out what was happening, I questioned the waitress who served me but she simply walked away ignoring my questions, never to return again.
Just another caution for tourists, expect to be charged a fee just for driving on the road to the lake. You will get nothing for your money, it's also a scam set-up to take money from powerless tourists in a scam-city hotspot.
It's places like these that give Bali, and Asia in general, a bad name.

• Visited August 2013