“Outstanding, do not miss this special place”
Review of Lakeview Hotel

Lakeview Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kintamani
Reviewed October 26, 2013

When I first arrived, looking at the view outside my window made my heart open. It took several days to soak up all the beauty that surrounds the interior and exterior of this hotel. I was there with a writing group and we were treated like honoured guests, taken to The Temple of Water, The Temple of Writing, bathing spas with local musicians, architects and artists joining us along the way. Our generous and erudite manager, Kedek, told many stories, his unique family history at Kintamani through to deeper experience of Kintanani's myths and tales. I enjoyed this location for its history and beauty, and all the comforts that this place offers - creative touches abound. Well done in making our stay very special.

Room Tip: I was in 504 - check out the photos. Recommend this particular room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michelle L
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thanks for sharing your photos and your experience on our third writer's journey. It's been a great program and we're looking forward to doing some more.

We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Bali.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed three weeks in Bali and we spent two days at Hotel Lake View. We enjoyed quality hotel for welcoming people to the nearby Mount Batur and the comfort of the room. Lunch in front of Mount Batur is unforgettable. See pictures that confirm this comment

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Thanks for your review and for sharing the lovely photos. It is wonderful to hear your encouragement. We look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Bali.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I meant to write a review on this exceptional hotel long before this. We had a very memorable overnight stay at the Lakeview a little while ago and I only wish we could have stayed longer. The view is out of this world, and the hotel itself, perched high on a cliff, has a certain feel to it that placed me in mind of the Shangri la that greeted the crash survivors in the 1939 movie Lost Horizon. I loved being up in the clouds and I loved the views especially in the early morning. Watching the sun come up over the mountain was something I'll never forget. I especially loved the friendly, helpful and hardworking staff, the big bedrooms with delightful balconies, the choice of two lovely restaurants, and the surprising revelation that the grandchildren (one of whom was the current manager) of the original owner are half Kiwi! We live in Bali but hail from New Zealand ourselves so it was fascinating to hear their stories of growing up in the two cultures. Delightful too to find ourselves rugged up in cooler temperatures. The family have worked very hard to create an amazing hotel and we congratulate them on their outstanding success.
Maree and George

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your vote of confidence in our services and your helpful encouragement. We look forward to hosting you again. Do come up for some fresh cool air when you need it. It's been so hot around Bali lately and we are fortunate to enjoy 20 to 30 C (night & day).

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I'd read a few reviews of the Lakeview prior to leaving, and corresponded with the manager re truck noise. For those in the dark about the noise, trucks go past the hotel, 24 hours a day, carrying crushed rock products from down in the crater to the rest of the island. The closest they come is about 60-80 meters, and below the hotel level, but the engines are working hard in low gear, hauling huge loads, so are very noisy.

They didn't bother us, and we slept well, so I can only guess that perhaps the breeze was taking the noise away form the hotel, or those who thought it a problem are lighter sleepers. It didn't bother us even the next morning.

The room was fine, bathroom clean, and the beds comfortable. Breakfast was good, but we didn't eat at the restaurant for other meals. I thought the price was at the high end for a family room relative to other locations in Bali at A$150+ for one night, but breakfast was included.

A pool is not required at this elevation, just too cold.

Overall I'd rate this hotel 8.5/10 using my own points system, and the views are superb, breathtaking, exquisite!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ross M
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear sir,

Thank you so much for your vote of confidence in Lakeview.

Thank you for your kind understanding to the truck situation. Despite 90% of the quarrying being made illegal and road restrictions being put in place allowing them limited hours on the road, the rules continue to be waived with a little baksheesh at the check point. I'm glad you didn't allow it to ruin your holiday.

Regarding room price, our most expensive room is A$108 at the present exchange rate. There's a peak season surcharge of A$18 during 15 July - 15 September, which I suspect you paid, but it shouldn't have come up to A$150. Our contractual agreements with travel agent require us to keep the price at a certain level, but we do offer special packages that include pickup, meals or activities that are very affordable.

Regarding a pool, yes it's rather fresh here, so it's not high priority. We've broken ground on building a sauna, which should be operating by early November. It will be a sauna with an amazing view :-)

We look forward to hosting you again

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Without doubt the best view of the iconic mountain and lake. The staff were all welcoming, youthful, enthusiastic, friendly and spoke great English (which is rare in these parts). They tried their best to make my stay comfortable, and I felt very well looked after. I had an immediate sense of warmth and ease at Lakeview, it literally felt like staying over at a good friend's home! (well, mansion, more like.)

If you are unsure of what Kintamani has to offer, the staff had great suggestions. I would really recommend taking up the hotel's tracking packages. I thought they were very well organised, safe and affordable. No quick-buck-off-you tricksters here (I've been told to be wary of being lead to a different Lakeview, try to contact Lakeview staff directly).

Also, ask the staff for reliable massages and also directions to the hot springs if you're into that. (for the more adventurous, ask about the Laura Croft-ish village with skulls and all!)

Have always enjoyed Indonesian food, so I'm biased when I say the food is good. Do try the Ayam Panggang! Do ask for non-spicy options if you have issues. Also, they have coffee made with itallian Bialetti espresso kettles! Do ask for that, unless you prefer the French press. Even if you are not staying at Lakeview, a meal at their restaurant or Danu Lounge will still get you a wonderful view, especially at sunset. You won't regret it.

For me, the rooms are just lovely. Sure, the curtains and furniture bear signs of use, but these are really negligible (and any complains are really just nick picking, I feel). They are clean and well-maintained. However, you do need to know there are two types of rooms: Standard and Deluxe. Have spent nights at both, and while both are spacious and have great views, the Deluxe is a more modern setup, well the Standard has an old-world Asia charm with exquisite carved doors to the balcony. The major difference are the toilets. You get a more up-to-date setup with the Deluxe rooms, but be prepared for less fancy ones at the Standard. (they could have changed). They are still modern, functional and comfortable with ample paper though, definitely not village squat holes. Also, no issues with hot water nor smells during my stays. It is cooler up the mountain so be prepared with shawls, if not there are pedlars right outside.

I also greatly appreciated the cash machine ATM right at the Hotel's entrance, made getting things in the town much easier without anxieties of carrying too much (or too little) cash. It's a village so cards are not really applicable at most places.

If you're able to catch their general manager, you'll get great suggestions on further ventures, and interesting cultural events in Bali, both traditional and contemporary. He's really knowledgable about the local arts scene, and would also impress you with the ecological endeavours of business owners in Bali.

I am especially impressed with how the hotel is actively engaged in giving back to the Kintamani community, hosting village children who had never seen the inside of any hotel, exposing them to art and literature, as well as creating avenues for local villagers to benefit by using local produce instead of competing with them by importing items. The hotel is also making efforts in eco-friendly practices, such as installing a grey water processing unit for watering plants. Few establishments here even bother.

What a fantastic stay, and to know I've in some way helped contribute to the village is an additional bonus the hotel does not advertise. I'll certainly be back!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms for added luxury. Standard rooms for old-world charm. If you are particular about beaut...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your vote of confidence in our services and your helpful encouragement. We look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Bali.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Forget about the dirty curtain and bed sheet with stain. Because it has a great view! Nice restaurant. Team member are so helpful and friendly. We booked the room with Mt Batur sunrise tracking package. It was a great experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Madam,

Thanks for taking the time to write a candid review. I'm glad you enjoyed the mountain trek and didn't let the small stuff bother you.

We sent all the curtains to the laundry before July, but they could not remove all the stains. The next step now that we've survived the peak season and entered into a more relaxed pace of guest turnover is to dedicate staff time to work on each curtain one by one with environmentally friendly stain removing salts (Sodium Percarbonate). I have just discovered how wonderful it is.

Regarding the sheets, we renew them each year, but they do get stained with temporary tattoos, merchuchurome / betadine and after-sun lotion that guests put on their bodies. Our local laundry does not seem to cope. We are committed to helping them find solutions for this, as sending sheets down to a large operation in Ubud each day would not be a sustainable solution. Next rainy season when we have ample water we are also looking at doing our laundry in-house.

Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a group tour. Our room had a great view of the lake and volcano with. Lovely balcony. Our room was spacious and the beds were comfortable. However the bathroom left a lot to be desired, which we were warned about. Our shower sprayed cold water all over the place and we could not get hot water at all. It smelt of sewage and there were bits of mould. But from what people in my group had to say about their bathrooms, we were very lucky!

On the walkway to rooms there was a very large bright light outside our door, the top of which is made of glass. Because of this light was shining in our room all night and we could not see where to switch it off. Very annoying indeed!

Did not think much of the restaurant or the breakfast. However this hotel is prime location for going up the volcano if you are in to that sort of thing (I'm not but did appreciate the views)

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. From your description, you were in the upper floor of the standard room block. The light switch is on the wall by the stairs. The lamp shades on the rear balcony lights directs most of the light downwards to assist people getting up early in the dark to climb the volcano. There is ample hot water in this block from a centralized gas-heater. However, when everyone decides to switch on their hot water at about the same time it may be inadequate and the laws of hydraulic pressure provide most of the hot water to the ground floor guests first. This is one of the down sides of traveling in a group that has to stick to the same tight schedule.

We have 24-hour reception and you can dial 0 for assistance with lights and hot water. Our deluxe rooms and suites have more modern showers for those who require modern amenities.

We endeavour to improve and will definitely make a big song and dance about it once we have improved the standard room block, but at present we ask future guests to be aware of the shortcomings of the standard room bathrooms.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kintamani
Alam Anda Ocean Front Resort & Spa
Batur Volcano Guesthouse
Batur Volcano Guesthouse
#1 of 21 in Kintamani
Astra Dana Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Lakeview Hotel? Share your experiences!