“View-priceless. Everything else poor! Also... In standard room you have to share balcony.”
Review of Lakeview Ecolodge

Lakeview Ecolodge
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kintamani
North Wales
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Positives:
•View view view. Priceless.
•In room movies for rainy times :)
•free wifi

Negatives:
• After a day out in Bali being targeted by hawkers/sellers the last thing you want when you get out of the car in the hotel's car park is to be harassed by 6-7 people 'buy buy buy' we believe that should be kept outside the hotel area.
•When we arrived there were around 7 staff in and around the reception area gawping at us whilst we check in made us feel a bit uncomfortable.
•Room. Now we had booked one night in a standard room (after considerable research about other hotels in the area not looking too positive we decided we would choose lake view and pay a little extra- compared to other local hotel prices) I was really disappointed with the first impression. It had just been cleaned so initially for an hour or so smelt clean, then to our dismay a strong odour of urine and mould overcome the room. (Even with the bathroom door shut) We are aware that it is rainy season so when the storm hit we just stayed inside and watched tv, the rain stopped and loud dripping noises were heard all over the room- also as other trip advisor review states the doors that lead to your SHARED balcony are little wooden ones that don't close properly.
The bathroom or 'wet room' in room #307 was so disgusting. It didn't help that the basin and toilet were of a dark burgundy colour almost giving the impression of a dodgy public toilet but the tiles and floor were lined with grime. I showered in my flip-flops.
My boyfriend who is well travelled and has slept in upto 20 men dorms stated: 'this place should be on hotels from hell, it's only saving grace is the view'.
We were exhausted and just tried to relax in the room.
•Restaurant. We decided to head to the hotel's restaurant, upon entering again an overwhelming smell of urine, I hesitantly sat down in the nice enough looking restaurant and a friendly girl served us. We were the only customers at this point. We sat pondering whether we should eat here or not, it was cold and I had a jumper on, to soothe myself I was smelling the cuff of my jumper instead of the restaurant air.
There was outside seating available but unfortunately there were great big clouds over the mountain and visibility wasn't great, along with the cold we thought the only thing to do is stay inside.
A complimentary warm bread roll was served and the staff member offered pesto, i accepted and she brought over a jar that looked pretty old and had just been sitting on a shelf. She spooned some out and it didn't look very fresh. We ordered 2 serves of fish and chips which were ok. A nice man working at the hotel kindly lit an inside fire for us and we sat using their free wifi with the smoky smell covering any nasty wafts of air after lunch.

We returned to our room and hoped the night would go quickly.
Maybe this hotel would be ok if the customer plans to trek the mountains as presumably you would go to sleep early and be up early. We didn't want to trek so spent all of our time there.

We headed down to the restaurant again later that night for an evening meal. The smell had gotten better by the evening.
We sat down at the end of the restaurant where they have sofas and tv.
We ordered two portions of steak and chips served with veg. I would say about 40 minutes had passed when eventually our food was served. Upon first impression again it looked disgusting, like a baby had been sick on our steak, some sort of sauce. I ate a chip which was stone cold, i felt a few areas on the plate that were also stone cold, I called our server over and he looked very sorry, a English fluent speaking manager walked by and said 'do you want us to heat it up in the microwave for you?' My partner and I looked at each other a little shocked.
We just said ok and sure enough they heated it,we had asked for both to be medium rare- my partners meat was fatty but medium, he usually eats whatever is put in front of him and he struggled through this meal advising he wished we hadn't bothered eating tonight.
I cut into my meat and it was raw inside. I called the manager and told him I'm sorry I simply cannot eat this. He said he would take it off the bill which he did and offered I chose something else but I'd been put off. He also requested that the kitchen bring fresher veg to us which did come after my partner had pretty much ate all he could.
I asked for a bowl of ice cream instead... 15-20 minutes went by and my ice cream hasn't turned up, so I asked, I don't think it had even been ordered??
Anyway the manager tried to explain to me that the reason my meat was like that was due to the fact a staff member had been too busy in the day to clean the hot plates that the steak is usually served to the table on.
I've worked in hospitality for 8 years and found this a bit frustrating. I'm not sure why I needed to know who's fault it was and why, in my opinion both plates should have been started from scratch so that we can eventually eat together rather than all this nonsense. Behind every good team is a good manager right? Behind every bad team.....
Perhaps, in my frustration... I said ' this whole experience has been negative to be honest' and explained my upset with the room. He advised that the hotel is old etc which I appreciate but I felt really mislead by the fancy website. He offered to move us into a deluxe room and even though it was 9pm at this point I accepted!!
We were moved, this time the room is much more well presented and nice comfortable bed and I am sorry but again a overwhelming smell of mould as soon as you close doors to sleep. (Own balcony)
We did sleep okay in this deluxe room and we were grateful for the upgrade I just think the whole thing could have been avoided with some managerial spot checking of customers rooms and or housekeeping skills re-taught. Main issues were the skirt inboards and bathrooms. The ceilings have obvious water damage. Maybe some scented reeds or air freshener would cover it?? Also making sure staff are doing what they are meant to instead of chatting near reception? Maybe the hot plates would have been done? 'It had been so busy she didn't get time ' eh? We were in here alone for almost 2 hours in rainy season.

Anyway it probably was the nicest looking hotel from the outside and the view is great.
Maybe I misread website regarding the fact you must share a balcony in standard rooms. This made it hard for us to relax wondering if anyone was in next door watching.

This was the 17th hotel we have stayed in during this trip to Bali and by far the worst in many ways.
Sorry!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Be_Individual
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for attempting to make a balanced review. I do hope that now you have got all the issues off your chest, you have enjoyed the rest of your holiday and your return trip home.

Travel in the Indonesian archipelago during tropical rainstorms is not for the faint-hearted. While you were enjoying the relatively pleasant weather (except for that mid-afternoon windstorm & horizontal rain), Jakarta and parts of Java, East Timor and Northern Australia were drowning under up to 2 meters of inundation. We are fortunate to be above the clouds most of the time, but we do have our wet days also. Having started on the wrong footing (exhausted before you even arrived, the surprise squall), it's a pity that you were so determined not to have a good time and could not even relax.

Your litany of fears is quite overwhelming, I will attempt to answer this in a succinct manner.

Hawkers / street vendors are not allowed to enter the hotel area. We cannot control what happens in the public domain (street outside). However, in their defense I must say the female street vendors of Kintamani are much more pleasant than their Kuta / Barcelona / Pisa / tourist trap counterparts.

There are 8 standard rooms. Rooms 301 to 304 are on the ground floor, and they each have a porch that opens up into the same big garden. Rooms 305 (twin) and 308 (double) have private balconies, while rooms 306 & 307 share one balcony (suitable for families & friends traveling together). Guests checking in are free to change their mind and swap rooms as they like, but are also welcome to state which room they prefer when booking. The building is 29 years old and has been given a face-lift last year. After this building is retired (ie. demolished), we intend to build suites with private jacuzzi that will be four times the current price to encourage a more upmarket clientele. In the mean time, our standard rooms remain the best value rooms in the Kintamani region, and are hence highly sought-after by the budget-conscious traveler.

Our bread rolls and homemade pesto never last for longer than 36 hours. We go through it too fast and make fresh batches every morning. I'll revisit the serving protocol for dishing out pesto at our next training session. It does seem odd that even in serving you a complimentary appetizer, our staff were already rushing about tripping over their standard procedures.

Regarding your steak, I have already explained to you that we usually serve it on a hot-plate (cast-iron metal sizzling hot, on a piece of wood). We have 10 sets and our stewarding team had let us down by not washing them right away after lunch service. The chef made the wrong decision of preparing your steak right away without checking whether the hot plates were ready in the kitchen. In the cold mountain weather, the steak & gravy cools down very fast when served on cold stoneware plates. You were not charged for your medium-rare steak (your boyfriend finished his well-done version).

A little patience goes a long way. You could not even wait 5 minutes for your ice cream to arrive (I ordered it for you, and you interrupted my dinner by the fireplace very soon after -- time flies when you're having fun, and it can similarly stretch when you're in a low mood), so we did not even consider offering you a replacement steak served on a hot plate, which is one of our most popular dishes getting rave reviews for the local Kintamani beef.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were planning for our second trip to Bali and since we did not get to check out the highlands during our last trip, we decided to get a taste of it this time round. Lakeview Hotel topped the available options in the region from our research via Trip Advisor. Our confidence increased all the more through email correspondence with Lakeview’s General Manager, Kadek who proposed an impressive and detailed itinerary for our 3 days 2 nights stay. The driver (Wayan Punya) assigned to pick us up from Nusa Dua to Lakeview (complimentary), spoke very good English and gave us much insight on Bali and its rich culture. Kadek organised for him to drive us via a scenic route via Sanur and Tulikup rice terraces. We also stopped for a babi guling lunch, recommended by Wayan. In the evening we made use of the complimentary hot spring spa (towels & welcome drinks included). On our 2nd day, we went for a cycling tour with Eco Bali cycling followed by a sunset hike up Mt Batur and soak in hot spring organised by Kadek. The day ended with an unbelievably amazing 3 course dinner by the fireplace at Danu Lounge (the descend from Mt Batur was wet and rainy) set up by Kadek. His hospitality was beyond excellent. Before checking out on our last day, we were treated to a Balinese massage each followed by a scrumptious lunch buffet at Lakeview Restaurant which has the best view of the mountains and Lake Batur in the area. We also got to spend some time with Kadek and enjoyed his home made kombucha with passion fruit. He also suggested for us to have dinner at Surya Cafe, Tanjung Benoa as we were craving for some crab. We have been so blessed to have met Kadek who is not only kind but goes all out to give his guests the best holiday (and feed!) they could ever ask for. We will definitely return to visit our newfound friend whenever we find ourselves in Bali!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Esther376
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thanks for your enthusiastic positive feedback. I love putting together special packages for guests, as most tourist guides "to do" lists seem very out of date compared to the amazing things to see and do within and outside the crater.

We've been testing some new trekking and cycling routes, a few of which I'm keen to recommend you try on your next visit. On Wednesday we're testing a new 15km cycling route that visits traditional craftsmen (blacksmith, basket-weavers) and farmers (orange orchards, a 18 hectare plantation of flowers, etc) ending with Bali's longest tree-tops experience to see how strenuous it is before "grading" it's difficulty level.

I'm glad you enjoyed our service. We look forward to hosting you again.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The hotel location was very good. we can view the whole lake from the restaurant... the food was also tasty n nice.
Although the hotel was quite old but it well maintaned.
Unfortunately, during the night, we have to work hard to get rid of some insect coming to our room...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MTV0115
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thanks for your positive feedback on our view, food and service. And I'm sorry the insects bugged you at night. They do get attracted to the light, hence all the lampshades in the room.

We have a food-grade insect repellent spray (by Habitat) available at the restaurant and front office. It's herbal-based but very effective in knocking out insects and keeping them away. Front office is open 24 hours, so please do not hesitate to contact them to help you out next time. We do find, however, that the best solution is not to have bright lights inside the room, keeping the brighter lights outside for the insects to swarm.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed here a couple of nights in December 2012. Wish we'd had a different room maybe that would have made our stay more pleasant. Ours was a room on the ground floor and the main door (old wooden door) to the apartment had huge gaps! So we were sleeping with all possible insects that managed to get in. We're quite adventurous and wouldn't mind this but really didn't expect that for the price we paid at this hotel. It was a shock. For half of the price we slept in an amazing 4* hotel elsewhere in Bali. This hotel is way too overpriced for what it offers.

On a more positive note, the views are breathtaking and the staff are very friendly and helpful. This place has a huge potential if the money is spent and invested in refurbishing the rooms, making sure they are thoroughly clean and that there are no gaps in the main entrance to the apartment! That is just not acceptable for a hotel that wants an excellent reputation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Despite the insect annoyance, thanks for rating us so highly on location and service!

I'm sorry but there's not much we can do in the present year about the doors you mentioned. They are antiques and part of the charm of the building. When we take them down, it's likely that we will also be renovating (ie. demolishing) the entire building where the standard rooms are.

Guests booking the standard room should be aware of its shortcomings, namely the small gaps in the antique doors and the older enclosed en-suite bathrooms. Those who wish to have a better-sealed room to be more separate from the elements should choose the deluxe or suite rooms where large sliding glass panes separate the room to its private balcony.

The insects you mentioned are called DEDALU in Balinese. They are a kind of white ant (distant relative to termites). They live most of their lives in the ground in the surrounding forest, but for two weeks of the year, typically at the beginning of rainy season, they go into their sexual phase to procreate. These normally flightless grubs grow wings and fly towards the light, which is their way of finding each other for procreation.

On Dedalu nights, our restaurant goes into "candle-light dining" mode. We leave bright lights on outside to attract the insects, and have candles or weak lighting indoors so to not attract the insects.

Dedalu is also treated as a delicacy, like whitebait in Australia / New Zealand. Some families would leave a bright light outside with a large bucket of water underneath it to capture the Dedalu. The high-in-protein grubs, once the wings have floated off, are deep fried with egg or batter.

I'll incorporate some info about these insects into our room directory and try to get the staff to be more communicative about the issue. We do tend to get into an "under siege" mentality when they swarm in after dusk. Thankfully this only happens for one week, at most two, throughout the whole year, in late November to December when the heavy rains begin.

Lastly, about the price, you must've stayed during our incredibly short peak season between Christmas and New Year. December is a very quiet month for us and the price most of the month is very affordable ($60). Yet we are usually overbooked for that one week, hence the peak season surcharge (peak season rack rate in standard room is $78). Nevertheless, with a generous breakfast included I still think it's good value if you compare it with the rest of the world's holiday rental prices.

Travelers are raving about these Kintamani hotels

Kaikoura, New Zealand
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Everywhere from the hotel I was able to enjoy the stunning views across the valley to Mount Batur. The room was comfortable, beautifully furnished and spacious with a private balcony...amazing views from here too! Lovely touches like the bowl of local fruit replenished daily, the art on the walls, the gamelan players in the restaurant and the packed lunch beautifully wrapped in banana leaves.. I loved trying out the local food and there was a variety of choices on the menu...all tasy and nutritious. Great to stay somewhere which felt part of the culture rather than a hotel which looks the same anywhere in the world!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mary S
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for sampling our buffet, a la carte service, as well as picnic lunches while on your 5-night stay at Lakeview. We do hope your recent trip to Bali is the first of many.

Wishing you a pleasant summer in New Zealand, and looking forward to hosting you again!
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed with my wife and adult children as part of our two week holiday to Indonesia. Lakeview Hotel is positioned at the top of the road down to Lake Batur. It has magnificent views of both Mt Batur and Mt Agung as well as the lake. Most of the stores nearby close early evening so not much to visit after-hours. Lots of locals selling their goods and is a little annoying once the day trip buses have left as there are very few tourists.

Mr Kadek was very helpful in meeting our room requirements with two adult children as this had the potential to cause problems during our holiday.

Mr Punya the transfer driver is very safe and very knowledgable of central Bali tourism and volcanic history. Mr Punya is an excellent asset to Lakeview Hotel. Transfer from Padang Bai was included in our hotel as well.

We had read lots of negatives about noise from trucks and yes it was quite annoying but not unbearable and certainly no fault of the hotel. The double doors helped at night block a lot of the loudness out.

Lakeview arranged our tours for Mt Batur trekking at sunrise (3am start was fun) and tailored a day tour that had bike riding, boat trip on the lake, a visit to the Trunyan village and cemetery, with hot springs at the end of the trip to unwind. The trek was challenging but at the top was superb - cute monkeys that were very gentle.

Mr Kadek was instrumental in arranging this and we thank him for a great day. A big thank you to our guide Made for the trekking and day trip - your thoughtfulness and patience made our visit very enjoyable.

Communication with staff was difficult at times but this is to be expected at times when you are travelling as we have experienced in other parts of the world.

Rooms were OK and clean.

Would recommend a short visit to this region to experience the local culture and surroundings - 3 days is enough.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MGB1986
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thanks for encouraging guests to stay for 3 days in the Mt Batur area :-) what an excellent festive season gift! Most Australians come up for a rushed breakfast before cycling or rafting down or stop by for lunch as part of a day's sight-seeing/shopping excursion. Only the very special Aussies come and stay.

There are a lot of cultural and natural wonders to explore, but they do require a bit of research. It's good to plan ahead, but have some flexibility of joining in with local festivities when they arise. A local guide is indispensable in making sure you blend in and cross any language barriers, or at least in avoiding making cultural faux-pas.

Our writing and painting retreats have also been quite popular with Aussies who want to learn more about the local culture while honing their craft of wielding a pen or brush, these are only twice a year, though so I'm happy to help put together a special itinerary that suits each guest's interests.

Wishing you all the best for your future travels. 2013 is going to be a great year for exploring.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012

My stay at Lakeview Hotel was most luxurious and so inspiring!
The setting was beautiful; overlooking a huge volcano, with a lake in the valley
and mountains to the side. Every day the sky shone brightly, changing colours,
reflecting in Lake Batur.
Our group of 4 arty ladies were made most welcome, we enjoyed sketching and
painting the wonderful landscape and taking in the local sights.
The food was absolutely delicious, fresh fish and meat
dishes and plenty for the vegetarian. My favourite was the fish fresh from the lake.
Kadek our host was very friendly and gave us lots of information about the area
and Balinese culture.
The atmosphere was always relaxed and friendly, we felt very welcome.
I would certainly recommend this hotel, it has much to offer the more
adventurous holidaymaker. Volcano hikes and bicycle tours are available.

Room Tip: All rooms beautiful.