“Dinner was disappointing”

Lakeview Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Kintamani
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Dinner was disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I ordered fresh Lake Batur fish with lemonsaus and rice. I became (fresh?) fish with patato and garlicsaus. A small portion and served cold. My wife had Nasi campur, also cold. The food was not tasty and the price for this bad meals to high.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jan P
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Restaurant, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Jan,

Lakeview Restaurant is not open for dinner, we close at 4PM. You must be referring to the other restaurant at Lakeview Hotel, which is Danu Art Cafe.

Thanks for taking your time to write a review, feedback is very important to us. I'll pass this on to the team there so they can work on improving the consistency of their service.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Mgarr, Malta
“Breathtaking views with poor food... Go only for drinks!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

I have just been to this place and I can say that the breathtaking views can entertain you for hours gut I personally feel that it was my worse dining experience in Bali. To top it off its full of flies! Portions are small and food is below average compared to some excellent places u can eat in this amazing country! Suggest you enjoy a coffee or juice on the fabulous terrace. Take some jersey if you would like to stay outside.

• Visited June 2013
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Restaurant, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thanks for your encouraging and candid review. We welcome guests who want to drop in for a drink anytime, whether for a beer, wine, martini or campari. The campari orange is a favorite, as it uses freshly squeezed local organic oranges.

Our coffee and cake or tea & cookies provide a generous snack for those on a long road trip.

The appetizers are just that: small bites, two appetizers do not constitute a main.

The soups on our a la carte menu, however are hearty and can constitute a meal for those who are not big eaters (the Soto Ayam, or chicken noodle soup, especially, which comes with rice).

Our mains are relatively large for Balinese standards and can be a stand-alone meal (although for some locals, there's 'too much' veggies and not enough rice), but those used to American portions may find it lacking.

The flies are a seasonal problem (they come out after farmers fertilize the fields below with cow or chicken manure), but we have the problem much better handled than any of our neighbors. We use a food-grade insect repellent located strategically around the restaurant which deters most of them. We do sincerely apologize for any discomfort experienced during your visit.

Wishing you pleasant travels!
Singapore
“Peaceful restaurant with breathtaking view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We chose this restaurant as it is seldom patronised by busloads of tourists. This makes dining at the restaurant peaceful and allows us to enjoy the magnificent view of the mountain and lake. You can choose to have buffet or ala carte. We had fresh grilled fish (IDR59000), pumpkin soup and hot infusion tea (IDR20000). Grilled fish was fresh and good. However soup was forgetable. Infusion tea was refreshing. We will come here again for the peacefulness and above average food. You will get a 10% discount if you reserve online, just remember to print out confirmation email.

Dear Jeffrey08,

Thanks for the candid review, and for posting some photos of our food!

We'll work on making our soups more memorable, and look forward to hosting you on your next visit.
Singapore
“Great views but awful food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stopped here on our day trip to the Kintamani region. We insisted on coming here based on tripadvisor reviews. We took the buffet. The views were great and the terrace outside was pleasant. However I have to say that food wise, if this were the top rated restaurant in Kintamani area, I shudder to think of what the food might be like in other restaurants. The noodles were tasteless and the famed tuna satay was not great. The other type of satay was also not great.

Most of the food did not look appetizing at first glance and did not taste great anyway.
We were busy swatting flies even when dining indoors. Oh the reason given is that it's the mango season. The potato "wedges" looked really unappetizing but this is one of the more palatable items. In my humble opinion, the best tasting item in the entire buffet is the goreng pisang. The other edible items (note: not tasty but edible) were the potato wedges and the fried fish. I did not taste all the items as they didn't look appetizing but of the items I have tried, my opinion is as above. I am no stranger to Indonesian food and do enjoy it. This can't be IT! We couldn't believe this is a top rated restaurant. We have tasted many types of Balinese/ Indonesian dishes in various establishments during this trip and we agreed this was the worst of the lot in terms of taste.

We don't regret visiting though since the views were great and the toilets were relatively clean. One does need a pitt stop on a road trip and can't be too choosy. I do sincerely hope the management which seems quite responsive on this site would improve the quality of the food to a better standard.

On a separate note, we were only approached by one hawker in the car park and she wasn't aggressive.

1 Thank Empressplace
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Restaurant, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for your candid and honest review, and for the photos too! From the photos it is clear that you did visit our restaurant. Thank you for highlighting at the end that our outreach to the hawkers has improved the situation outside in our parking area, and highlighting the cleanliness of our toilets.

Regarding the food, thanks for the thumbs up on the pisang goreng (fried banana) - I was planning to replace it with something new but it does seem to be a favorite.

Regarding the rest of the buffet that you commented so disparagingly about, we'll do our best to improve, but do note that we have a huge range of guests, many of whom are Japanese, French and Russian - and they are not used to having full-strength spices the way Singaporeans and Malaysians like it.

We focus on local cuisine, which is hard to do wrong, but we do not use full-strength spices on the buffet. My French guests kept telling me the noodles were too spicy! (As does my 3-year-old niece -- she complained very vocally last time I shared the buffet noodles with her - she doesn't like spicy food... yet). I can understand if you found it rather tame / bland (so do I), but the present spice level seems to be at that fine balance between local / authentic and international fusion.

For guests who like their food spicy, do try our chayote and tilapia soup (on our a la carte menu) or order the fresh fish from the lake (tell the wait-staff that you want it spicy the way they like it). If you are opting for the buffet, there is an island between the vegetarian and meat section where we place up to six different sauces, some of them local-strength sambals.
Adelaide, Australia
“Fantastic view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

We dined at lake view restaurant as part of our day trip to ubud and mt kintamani. When you visit this restaurant you must sit outside and enjoy the most fantastic view of the volcano and the lake it is absolutely beautiful. We had the Buffett for lunch and it was nice , not fabulous but nice ( The fish and chicken satays were yummy thou) The kids had wedges which were really not wedges as we know them so that was a little disappointing for them but that's how it goes ! Lunch cost us about 473000 irp for the four of us which included a couple of beers as well - not a bad price but again the view was worth it . The hawkers in the car park when you leave are intense so be aware of them .

• Visited April 2013
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Restaurant, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thanks for your vote of confidence in our buffet and 'fair' price.

I'm sorry the wedges were not to your expectations. Thanks for reminding me that it's time to yet again train the staff on the difference between chips and wedges.

It's worrying for me to get a third consecutive review commenting about the hawkers. We will call a meeting with the hawker association to seek a solution to this recurring problem. (We had two meetings last year with them on this issue and it had a positive effect on their behavior, albeit seemingly temporary from your report).

We would truly appreciate it if you could take a photo of the 'naughty' hawkers so we can start singling out those who are harassing guests by banning them. We need to set a few 'examples'.