“Very unpleasant sarong sellers”

Ulun Danu Batur Temple
Ranked #12 of 39 things to do in Kintamani
More attraction details
Owner description: Pura Ulun Danu Batur, a temple dedicated to the goddess of the lake -Ida Batari Dewi Ulun Danu on the edge of a huge crater. The dominant shrines are Meru's (pagodas) dedicated to the lake goddess and the gods of Mt. Batur and Mt Gunung Agung, the largest volcano in Bali. Pura Penataran Agung Batur is the principal temple, with five main courtyards. The dominant shrines are the merus: an 11 tiered one for the lake goddess and three 9 tiered ones for the gods of Mt Batur, Mt Agung, and Ida Batara Dalem Baturenggong, the deified king of Gelgel who is said to have ruled from 1460 to 1550.
Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Very unpleasant sarong sellers”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were at Ulun Danu Batur today, shortly after visiting the nearby Pura Tegeh Kuripan. The latter was definitely less interesting but here sarongs were included in the entrance fee. We paid the required 25.000 Rp entrance fee for Ulun Danu Batur and were then guided to a building next door where sarongs had to be bought (150.000 Rp each). Fortunately I speak reasonably well Indonesian and requested sarongs which we could borrow instead of buying. We were taken to another side of the room where I was told we could ‘rent’ a sarong for 20.000 Rp each. In addition we were required to rent a sash, again 20.000 Rp each. We refused to pay this ridiculous amount and some unpleasant negotiations followed. We were about to walk away several times and finally the price was settled at 5.000 Rp per person, for sarong and sash together. Irrespective of this outcome, the whole atmosphere in the ´sarong room´ is very unpleasant and this place literally feels like a tourist trap. The hassle with the sarongs definitely did not contribute to a enjoyable visit of the temple.

Visited August 2013

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Beautiful Place”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was a beautiful temple near the volcano in Kintamani (there is an opportunity for a gorgeous view of the volcano on the way down from the temple).
I'm embarrassed by my fellow tourists' ignorance about wearing a sarong and a sash to every temple in Bali; our guide is an American who has been traveling to Bali for 30 years, and that's one of the first things she informed us about.
The most amazing aspect to the Balinese people to me are the ceremonies, spiritualism and symbolism of their religious practices--we should respect them--"while in Rome". As for the entrance fee, this is a very poor village in Bali and we shouldn't begrudge them their donation.

Visited May 2013
4 Thank kitcatta
Seattle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Yikes!!!!! Save your time and money”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We paid a entry fee at the park of 25,000 IDR just to keeping driving inside the park. Not an issue for us. As you drive around the bend, you will see nice views of two Mountains. So we decided to stop and get a couple photos before we proceeded to the temple. Beware that if you look Caucasian, your going to be mobbed aggressively by people trying to sell you the obligatory Bali Shirt, bracelets, postcards etc. You can politely say no 5 times but they will continue to hassle you. We proceeded to the temple. Once we got there, we were then told we must pay for a tour guide. 25,000 IDR per person. Once you pay that fee you they give you a visitor lanyard and you walk into a building. Upon entering, they starting fitting you with a Sarong which you can't rent. You must purchase it. Me and my wife had to pay 250,000 IDR each. You then get a brief tour of the temples. I took some pictures. The guide basically took us around and did not explain much. The guide walked us behind to a view of the lake and mountains. View was nice but then you have a man there pressuring you to buy his paintings. Again, saying no thanks does not do the trick. Your tour guide just stands back as the guy keeps trying to get you to buy his paintings. We ended up buying two paintings just so we could leave. That cost us 100,000 IDR each. So then we started to leave. As we came to the front of the street, we told the tour guide thanks and began to walk to the car. She said we must wait so they can remove our sarongs and put it in bag for us. At that point the street hagglers came all at once. A lady asked me to buy some bracelets. I told her no thanks 3 times. Another person tried to sell me postcards. As I was telling that person no, the other lady slipped on a bracelet to my wrist and began tying it. I told her again no thanks, I don't want this. She tied it so tight, I could not even get it off my wrist. My wife directly told the lady to remove it we don't want the bracelet. She then asked for 200,000 IDR for it. At this point I just want to leave quickly. I paid her the money. We then started to walk to our car. We then had two ladies grabbing me and pulling my arm to buy postcards and more bracelets. I told them no at least 5 times. Me and my wife had to start running to get away. They stopped chasing us after 50 meters or so. As a side note, I have traveled to many parts of Asia so I understand about tourist traps. However, going to a religious site as this one should be a pleasant experience where you can learn and embrace other cultures and traditions. Unfortunately, you wished you never came here in the first place. Overall, we spent 1,000,000 IDR in less than an hour. Waste of time!!!

Visited May 2013
11 Thank Thirdworldexplorer
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
330 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 334 helpful votes
“Not a must...”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Be careful... there's another temple just right next to it; so don't get mixed up. We were cheated by the hustlers next door that their ticket would get us in for both temples. We were wrong!

The temple next door had an opening behind so we could actually enjoy a great view of Lake Batur and the landscape.

When we wanted to enter Pura Ulun Danu Batur, we were stopped at the entrance and found out that we had been cheated! The caretakers were not friendly or sympathetic to what had happened to us and promptly directed us to get the ticket from across the road. I was so angry I'd decided to skip this.

Other than some of the statues being painted in bright colours, the shrines were pretty similar to the ones next door and everywhere else on the island. You can skip it if you want to. Not a must.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank JoshShoeString
Marlborough, United Kingdom
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 352 helpful votes
“Excellent temple, one of the Bali 'must see' places”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

A great temple and a definite 'must see', especially if you are in the north of Bali or near Kintamani. I appreciate that some people have had problems with the staff there and I can't say that I am surprised as they are not so friendly or welcoming as some other places – though better than Besakih. However, 2 points to bear in mind; a) Virtually ALL temples in Bali require visitors to wear a sarong AND sash. In Java, and I believe elsewhere in Indonesia, sarongs alone are required but Bali is definitely sarongs and sash. Some places are more relaxed about enforcing the rules, some less so like this temple but it is a definite rule. All of us were wearing both sarongs and sashes so it was no problem for us and I even wore a Balinese hat though I don't think that is a general requirement. Sashes are so easy to get, we got ours at Sukuwati market for under 1 UK pound each and nearly all markets in Bali will have them. In an emergency a rolled up long scarf will do but I think a formal belt with buckles eg leather belt etc is not acceptable, b) additional way to save hassles from locals is to hire one's own English speaking Balinese guide, as we did, together with mini-bus, for the day/s and it worked extremely well. We used Adimelali (see TA entry) but many others are available - plus having your own guide/mini-bus gives you much more flexibility on where you go and how long you stay.
At Ulun Datu Batur we had one local village man accompany us but he didn't speak English and seemed to be there just to check we didn't steal anything or damage anything! I asked our guide (who gave us all the details we needed about the temple) if I should tip the guy at the end and our guide said no, so I didn't. Remember that after you pay for your entry ticket near the car park you enter this big hall, but that is not part of the temple, just exit the other side, then cross the road to the main temple on the valley side.
Ulun Datu Batur is certainly one of the more impressive temples in Bali and fairly well maintained. It was constructed in 1926 after the original temple by the lake was destroyed in a volcanic eruption – and the village moved up here too. It is dedicated to Dewi Danu, the goddess of lakes and rivers and consists of 9 temples including 5 main courtyards. Not only that but this is considered the 2nd most important temple in Bali after Besakih so worth visiting for that reason alone – though it is worth it anyway. You can see its importance by the fact the main temple spire has 11 tiers, only allowed for the most important temples. We very much liked the way this temple was built and structured though we were not allowed to enter the most sacred part of the temple. It is much more open than a lot of other Bali temples which can be a bit cramped. Certainly it is still well used by locals and is very much a working temple. Also worth going from the main temple, Pura Penataran Agung Batu, to the side exit on the west side and round the back where you can see some smaller devotional temples plus also have a great view down to Lake Batur and the valley below – and Mount Batur of course. OK, you can also stop further along the main road, especially to the East, for the views but this is safer and less hassle from vendors trying to sell you something. Ulun Datu Batur is certainly worth a visit, no question.

Visited February 2013