All reviews pool area poolside bar three nights across the road plumbing mattresses aussie tao ferry motorbike
Reviewed May 11, 2017

Stayed in the old Rex hotel. Well located across the road from the ocean.
The new Rex hotel( connected to old hotel ) opened up one week after we left.
Had a look at the room and vary impressive. I would stay in the new Rex anytime.
Breakfast was basic but i'm a Westerner and like all English breakfast anyway.
The pool area was well laid out and clean at all times. The bar next to the pool is run separate from hotel and was pretty good.
Lot ex pats go there and get to chat to.
I walking distance to anything you requiter in Vung Tau.
Three days in Vung Tau was enough time to see what it is like.

Stayed: December 2016
2  Thank raycapes1
Reviewed April 24, 2017

I write of my recent experience , as much for the Rex Hotel management to read, as l do for notifying others as to the complete lack of staff training at this Hotel .
On check in , my booking could not be found . Thankfully l had a copy of the required communication of my direct booking with the hotel. After arriving to my room , l could not operate the safety security box as it was a little different to ones l had become used to. I contacted reception , and a lady arrived and handed me the instruction sheet , and then walked off. The instructions were not easily understood , so l phoned reception, who said someone would be again sent to my room. I point out that l had travelled far and was really looking forward to a swim , especially as the air conditioning had only just been turned on in this room and l was sweating lots. After a 30 minute wait and no one turning up , l went back down to the reception desk , thinking maybe a bus load had possibly arrived , hence the long wait , but no one was there except the 3 ladies behind the desk, and they sure did not seemed concerned to sort this matter out fast. I was told again someone would be sent to my room. A lady did come , but she could not get this safety box to work either , then another lady came and soon we had 3 ladies trying to get this to work. Whilst 3 were there , l asked if the TV had CNN , but no one could operate the TV. So l now had 3 ladies and a man trying to get the safety box and the TV to work. All were confused.
Soon , it was suggested l move to a new room. More packing and unpacking . At this new room , the safety box worked , so they started again on the TV , but the ladies simply could not work this TV too. One technical man arrived to help , but he could not also. I complained much , as l was now in a new room waiting again for air conditioning to get started and no TV understood, and unpacking for a second time. A more senior man was called in , who l later was told was the bar manager. He explained that the hotel had installed new smart TV’s a month earlier and only one man knew how to work them and he was not on duty this day. Surely a second person could be trained. I went to the reception desk again and complained , as l had booked an upmarket room in the new area. This Bar Manager later came down to this reception desk , to say he got the TV working in the first room we were offered. I asked if safety box had been fixed there as l did have to move from there because of this item not working. He returned to the room and reported back , that he had fixed that too. So 3 hours later l was in a room where TV worked and Safety security box also. Delighted l unpacked for the third time and put some cans into the empty fridge but that was warm as it had not been turned on for use. I have always in the past found the fridge to be on and cold.
I point out the next day, after waking up , that we could not find CNN again , and again no staff knew why not , or how to use these smart TV’s. Surely if a month ago , these had been installed , several staff would by now have been trained as to their use. Seemed not.
I requested a reduction in my nightly cost as l had paid extra to be in the new renovated area , had lost several hours of first day usage , extremely hot , tired and wanting a swim , but having to unpack 3 times after such a long trip , and there after not being able to use the TV during my stay .I was not offered any reduction , any benefits , or understanding , which is so different to all the other hotels l have stayed in over my long travels in Vietnam.
I also point out that half way through breakfast that only water melon remained in the fruit section, and on asking was told there was no further fruit available.
I do not blame the staff at all, but I do blame the very unprofessional top management and extreme lack of care or interest once a complaint is made. I did ask that my comments be passed onto the top manager and asked for some sort of compensation , but the senior manager refused any. I have travelled to 58 countries and all over Vietnam , and up until this Rex Hotel , l have always found that the staff were always trained to provide the facilities and service that one pays for. This hotel seriously needs a huge review of staff training.

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled solo
1  Thank keith1949603
Reviewed April 11, 2017 via mobile

Go for the upgrade. There is a new part of the hotel with new spacious executive rooms overlooking the pool area & along the beach. Great value for money, tucked away in a quiet corner of Vung Tau but within walking distance to shops, restaurants, bars & beaches. Staff are friendly with good basic English. Get the buffet breakfast. All the Kim you can eat.

Stayed: March 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2017

We arrived in Vung Tau without accommodation booked. From a previous trip, we knew The Rex Hotel was in a good spot, across the road from Front Beach.

Eight years ago, the Rex Hotel was old. Well, it's still old BUT it has a new eight storey wing attached. We were upgraded to a Deluxe Sea View room and it was magnificent! Our room had ceiling to floor windows on two sides. We were reluctant to leave our room each day. We've never enjoyed a view so much.

As a walk in, we paid about A$80.00 per night. We stayed three nights.

The very spacious room was brand new. We had two comfy beds, each was a bit smaller than a double. Unfortunately, the beds were about 6 inches from the window and did not have bed heads so we couldn't sit up in bed and read. The bed bases were secured but we managed to push one of the mattresses over towards the wall and our reading issues were totally solved!

Lighting was good. There was plenty of furniture. A small fridge/freezer was in the room. No bar. No safe. No where to hang towels. Because the room was so new, perhaps these things are coming? The bathroom was beautiful. Hair dryer supplied and as long as that was plugged in, the International power point functioned and took our Australian plugs.

Rubber backed curtains would have been appropriate to combat the afternoon heat but air conditioning was fine.

Unfortunately, the wonderful huge, clean pool had minimal shade in the morning and a strange absence of pool furniture. Such a shame. But there were two life size fake giraffes! A pool lifeguard was on duty and supplied towels. He sure didn't spend any time arranging any sun loungers!

Breakfast was all Asian but you are in Vietnam! Unfortunately the dining area was dark and drab and the tablecloths were a bit dirty. It wouldn't take too much to brighten it all up.

It pains me to write anything negative in this review because the room was so amazing.
We would stay here again most definitely if we scored the same accommodation.

Behind the hotel was a little café that sold baguettes. We shopped at Lotte Mart one day and bought meat and cheeses for dinner one night so we could stay in and enjoy the view! Watching the fishing boats coming and going was magic.

Sophie's Café and Restaurant was three minutes up the road for dinner. You had to walk about 10 minutes to get to the street eats and another 10 minutes from that to reach the lively markets. It's all flat walking though and you can walk in the shade most of the way. There's a lovely sea breeze. I feel the heat but wasn't worried too much at all.

Walking along the seaside Parade next to Front Beach is entertaining. Walk that way to the markets. We felt very safe at all times.

Ho May Park is a 10 minute walk south along the water front. We spent five hours at the top of the Cable Car ride!

There are very few European tourists in Vung Tau. It seems to be off the beaten track which is even better! It felt like an affluent part of Vietnam.

Room Tip: Room 723 has an amazing view
Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kiwi1963
Reviewed February 9, 2017 via mobile

Service was good, breakfast was good, and pool and bar area were very nice. However, pool had 2 lounge chairs (1 broken) which had no cushions on them. Our room was dingy and run down. Holes with ants crawling out of them in bathroom. Mold on the shower curtain. Mattress old and uncomfortable and they didn't even have fitted sheets. Most of the hotel smelled like cigarette smoke and the couple in the room next to us spent an hour at 6am fighting and we heard every word due to the lack of sound proofing. As far as vietnam goes... don't waste your time. Expensive for what you get.

Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple