Rex Hotel
Agoda.com
Lam Son Hotel(Vung Tau)
$10
  • Restaurant
All reviewspool areapoolside barsun loungersgood sizethree nightsreception staffper nightacross the roadplugsplumbingmattressesaussietaocurtainsferrymotorbike
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I live in HCMC and wanted to get away from the noise of the city. I thought that staying in this famous hotel would be a peaceful and relaxing break. I was wrong. There was construction work going on all day on the floor above me. Very loud banging. I was so annoyed I complained. They put me in a much nicer room a few floors down at no extra cost. However the room and bathroom were tired and old and stained. No bathrub. I think it's a rip-off for the money. Also, the interior of the hotel is like a prison-very drab-nets strung across the stairwell to stop things falling. Cobstant noisy building work. Also, you have to use the back service lift (tiny and decrepit). The pool is old and there seems to be prostitutes at the pool bar. I went in the pool garden to get away from the construction work noise but builders were hammering things out by the pool too!. I wasted my money here.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 4, 2010

We booked this hotel for a weekend break whilst working in a hospital in Saigon. Upon arrival the hotel seemed a bit old fashioned with some drab rundown decor and filthy carpets. the hotel lobby smelt of a musty smoke thanks to the bar located at the entrance. The girls behind the desk seemed less than eager to help and told us the only map of the area we could get was one the street sellers were selling at the inflated price of 2USD. This was ridiculous as this is supposedly a 3 star hotel, all other hotels we have been to in vietnam offer free maps, even those mini-hotels with no stars.

We stayed in a superior double as we were informed there were no standard rooms left, I am not convinced of this as the hotel was pretty dead for most of the stay. the room itself was large but that is about the only good thing there. The walls are dented, stained and covered with grey mould and various bodge-job paint over repairs. The TV was tiny and did not function properly with intermittent losses of picture and/or sound. The carpet was filthy with large stains. The shower worked, but only just and the fitting freely disengaged from the wall. The flow rate was terrible. All this was coupled with an overpowering egg smell in the bathroom making showers less than appealing. The aircon unit worked but was noisy but atleast we had company in the nights with our rooms resident lizards, which were at least some entertainment. The balcony could have been nice but was half taken over by the AC outflow unit. Nice view.

We ate breakfast in the hotel each morning and the buffet was ok but not three star by a long shot. The juice as mentioned by others here was very sweet, so much that it had attracted some ants for a swim. The staff in the restaurant where we went for a snack one evening were extremely rude. They tried to charge us extra (34 000 VND) for three 1cm by 1cm knobs of butter which we had not ordered but were put on a plate with our bread. they did remove this charge but made it clear they felt we had not spent enough in the restaurant and took to laughing at us as we left the restaurant.

On our second day the hotel had hired out the pool for a wedding which meant that a large metal bridge was erected across its width and all lounges were removed from around the pool. This was a massive shame as the ONLY good thing about the hotel is its pool, even if it is a bit run down it is a fantastic asset. Unfortunately when we did try to use the pool on this second day the staff first stared at us and then made it clear we were not welcome very rudely confronting us to 'check' we were staying in the hotel and what room number we were on more than one occasion.

When we could not use the pool we went looking for the advertised 'billiards club'. THIS DOES NOT EXIST. When we asked at reception we were told we could go to the bar located near the pool, not owned by the hotel and yours their single table but only after four and if we were buying drinks. The staff again were fairly confrontational and rude. Our next idea was to go for a bike ride but again the hotel could not be of any help instead pestering us to rent a motorcycle.

All in all Vung Tau is NOT a tourist destination to be recommended. The beaches are filthy with next to no sand and far too many people. The Rex hotel, contrary to its slogan of more than expected, was a huge let down. The building is in poor repair, the facilites are lacking, the food is bad and the staff lack knowledge and have a poor attitude (apart from the doorman Quy). There is no way this hotel is three star or worth anywhere near the 55USD/night. One to miss.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We booked to stay at this hotel on 30th December.

This is my second time staying here,this hotel needs some serious up grading.
This time and last time the people at the reception are some what friendly.
We didnt feel welcomed at all, they seemed annoyed with us for some reason.

The only person we found friendly was this one particular gentleman I think his name is Truyen, this young man is very nice and very helpful.
Another person I would like to mention is the security guard named Quy, he is the only friendly security guard there. They rest didnt seem so happy seeing us walking past and never greeting us ..one particular one is quite rude.

Room is okay looking and shower is awesome..it looked like a time capsule.
Lift wasnt working,apparently being fixed..really annoying..had to use service lift,which took forever.
We had to walk up and down by stairs one time,becos workers were holding the lift to bring cement up. That got me really annoyed.

Food buffet has been down graded from 3 years ago, the last time I stayed here the food was fabulous. This time the food seemed to be changed to the same thing every few days,juice is sweet as sugar and very artificial. I thought I would have a toast with honey,it was like they put sugar on the stove and made it alittle brown and poured it in the bowl. Noodle soup is full of MSG.
But the funny thing I have to mention is the orange juice is nicer in pool side bar..but you have to pay for it.. pffft.

In ending this review I would have to say that this hotel has stayed quite the same as 3 years ago.
Carpet downstairs lobby serious needs to be changed, I suggest the hotel be tiled, this prevents the musky mold smell that has swamped the whole hotel.
Management need to tell the staffs and housekeeping to be more happy and friendly..even if the guest are South Vietnamese.

We come to stay and enjoy our holiday,not to be judged that we are not from the North.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 25, 2009

We stayed 4 nights in a Standard Room based on reviews here, however we were disappointed it was really our worst hotel in Vietnam. It is very tired and just going into the hotel you have a bar on one side which always smells of smoke. Most of the guests are either construction or oil workers. Vung Tau is not really a tourist destination but has some lovely restaurants and this hotel does have a good location.

Our room initially was a disaster 2 really dirty chairs and the carpet full of stains, we got moved to a slightly better version and after 2 nights had to move again due to an argument in the room next door keeping us up with security having to be called. We finally ended up in a De Luxe room which was just a refurbished version of the first 2 rooms but with newer carpet and fittings. However it still had the old plumbing and just a stand in bath/shower.

Whilst we were there the lift was out of action so we had to use the service lift, this had a really dirty carpet and a bad smell. The breakfast was very ordinary, little variety. The pool is ok but you actually have to exit the hotel to get to it, also it has the girly bar but we were not bothered by the noise . You can also get to the pool via the restaurant but they prefer you to use the main door and not walk through the restaurant.

I have read some bad reports for the girls on the reception, my opinion is that they have very little back up from management and do their best.. They could not provide us with a simple photocopied map of the area which is a given everywhere you go.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank whistlestop
Reviewed August 26, 2009

In all, given its age, the Rex offers everything you need. It's clean, tidy does a great omlette for breakfast and the pool is in good nick - if a little too warm!
The pool bar opens late, and as long as you don't get distracted by the hired help round the pool table you can always enjoy a good evening.
I stayed with a party of 20. They looked after us well and I would go back.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business