See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 10, 2017

First time on the beach for our two little doggies, had a fantastic time on the wide flat deserted beach. nice and safe, only 2 hrs from HCM, we'll be back monthly! we took our own food and drink, awesome times

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Henry F
Reviewed May 12, 2017

We live in Vietnam and have seen a lot of crazy places so I can say this with confidence — our stay here was plain weird.

We arrived early afternoon on a Saturday -- taking a 600K VND Grab car from the Greenlines Ferry terminal in Vung Tau. On the surface, the place looks great. The pool is beautiful, the beach is long and deserted, the buildings seem in good repair.

But there was no one staying there. After a couple of hours it began to feel spooky.

We had booked rooms in the wooden houses overlooking the river but got upgraded to beach front villas at no extra cost. There was no explanation for the move although other friends later told us that they were moved to the beach because the less expensive rooms near the river had a rat problem. We saw no rats during our stay but we did not see the wooden houses either.

There was an extensive lunch menu although it became clear that only a few things were on offer. What we had was good value. Three of us ordered simple plates of stir fried beef, bean sauce pork etc and were stuffed at the end of the meal. The vegetables were crisp, fresh and delicious. Beer was available but there was no wine.

We had the pool to ourselves, of course. It's quite beautiful but a bit too shallow for serious swimming. Being early May, the water was luke warm -- as was the sea which we tried a bit later.

My wife and daughter thought the beach was littered in garbage but I think most of it had washed ashore. There were fishermen working the beach through the day but few other people around to actively litter the beach.

Compared to similarly priced beach resorts in Mui Ne and Phu Quoc, River Ray Estates Resort had few beach facilities. There were no lounge chairs. In fact the path from our beach house to the beach led straight to a three foot drop instead of to the stairs that were several meters away. The staff was friendly but were there for laundry and house keeping -- no beach maintenance. The cook had to be called in from her home when we wanted dinner because we were the only diners.

When we went for dinner, the outside dining room was swarming with mosquitoes so the staff offered to bring our food to our room -- we had a baby with us and were happy to shelter inside. Oddly though, there were no mosquito nets in the bedrooms which is quite rare in my experience.

Our free breakfast was NOT the continental promised on the website. The young waitress told us Sunday morning that they only had eggs, bread and coffee. No apology or explanation offered -- that was just the way it was.

The Medina villas were outdated as noted by other reviewers. The kitchens had no cutlery, cookware or dishes. But the fridges worked fine. The furniture was rudimentary but comfortable enough. There was a small dining table plus a sofa and coffee table in each suite. One bedroom had a Thai-style hard mattress while the other was soft and comfy. The AC worked great. The bathrooms were functional but 1960s ugly and stained.

At one point an older German guest with a dog walked by us on his way to the river walk and explained that there were no other guests because the units were all rented out to staffers working at the new casino down the road. But in our 21 hours here, we saw no sign of anyone -- no scooters, no people, no voices.

Maybe the new casino and other mega resorts in the area have killed off business at the River Ray and its neighbours. Too bad because it is a great setting. For now though, I recommend it for seasoned Viet travellers and I certainly wouldn't pay more than $50US a night. Expect to get upgraded to a much more expensive room near the beach. (If we had paid over $100 a night per room we would have been pretty unhappy.)

I found the stay amusing and enjoyed the peace and quiet. We had heavy rain in the evening and in the morning so didn't get a chance to really explore the beach or the river walk. Great view of the lightning storm over the sea though. My daughter (mother with baby) was visiting Vietnam for the first time and found the whole experience unsettling.

If you go, bring your own snacks and beverages and a sense of humour. I hope the owners find a way to get the business thriving again because it could be a beautiful place.

Stayed: May 2017
3  Thank F_B_E_2013
RIVERRAYRESORT, Guest Relations Manager at River Ray Estates Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2017

Dear Mr. Edwards,
Thank you for your review of River Ray Estates.
Also thank you for your concern about our occupancy, however, we can comfort you that it is quite satisfactory. The weekend before your visit was, due to the National Day and First of May, a five day holiday period during which we were fully booked. This holiday period of course reflected on the weekend when you visited river Ray Estates, but already in the following weekends we had an 80% occupancy.
We are cleaning our beach regularly and very often got compliments from our guests of our nice beach but because of this season, some of the debris are washing up. It is not from our neighbours, but with the present wind and ocean current it has been recorded that things can flow from as far as Mui Ne to Ben Cat Beach in two days.
You were not upgraded due to rats, you did not see any, neither did we, but simply due to our General Director 's courtesy ( he recommended ) so that you were near the ocean, the restaurant and the pool.
I agree with you that a re-decoration of the bathrooms is due in the one-bedroom apartments but it has been difficult to fit in as the demand for these apartments is high.
Our record states that your breakfast comprised bread rolls, eggs, butter, jam, cheese and coffee. It is of course correct that Continental breakfast has no eggs but since there is not possible to purchase good cereal in Xuyen Moc,we substitute it with eggs. We also provided fruits in your apartment.
Again, thank you for your concern and staying in our resort. We hope to see you again in River Ray Estates under more crowded conditions.
Best regards,
River Ray Estates
Vu Thi Nghia
Room Manager

Reviewed February 26, 2017

Spent only one night but could have stayed for a week. Take the boat to Vung Tau (pleasant 90 minutes journey from Saigon). Drive 40 minutes or so to resort and enjoy peace and quiet away from hussle and bustle of HCMC. You can continue enjoying Vietnamese street food and shopping only 30 minutes away from resort. The accommodation we had was a seafront unit in one of the villas. Found unit to be very comfortable: lots of room, excellent bedding. Although bathroom showing its age, it was perfectly adequate. Beach front units are relaxing: listening to the wind through the trees and the waves breaking on the beach, watching the fisherman in their tiny soup bowl type embarkation. Walk along sandy beach and just breath fresh air. Resort's swimming pool is large and over looks the river. Top spot to relax with a book. We enjoyed lunch at the resort: local produce, freshly caught seafood. No pretence of haute cuisine, just simple and healthy vietnamese cooking. The mini spring rolls a real treat. Staff only too happy to please you. Don't be put off by the perceived remoteness. It is a big plus if you wish to experience the more rural side of Vietnam. It is an easy get away from HCMC and not too expensive.

Stayed: February 2017
Reviewed September 17, 2016

The River Ray Estates Resort is situated on a beautiful piece of property right next to the ocean and a river. The land is absolutely beautiful, and the peace, quiet, and solitude make this resort a great destination for those who want to escape the city life. For me, however, it was a bit too secluded and far away from civilization. Fortunately, there was a restaurant on site, although it was outside and very hot.

From the outside, the resort looks well maintained and clean; however, the interior seemed to receive less attention. I understand that replacing major appliances or furniture can be costly, so I tend not to be fussy over those sorts of things, but the bathroom needed some work. The blinds that should cover the large window in the wall of the bathtub were falling apart and impossible to close. Anyone from the outside could look into the window, especially at night, which made me uncomfortable.

When I booked this resort, I was under the impression that they had airport transportation. I had to take multiple cabs and vans to get to the resort, which cost me over 1,250,000 VND. My suggestion - take the hydrofoil!

I will say that I did appreciate the resort's flexibility about my arrival. I had issues acquiring my visa, so I had to stay in Thailand a few extra days. The resort allowed me to push my reservation forward with no penalty. They were quite friendly, too, and were very welcoming upon my arrival. Their hospitality buffered other difficulties.

Again, a beautiful place with peace and quiet for those looking to escape reality for a bit.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2016

Beautiful setting RIGHT ON a lovely clean safe beach.

we were upgraded to a lovely 3bed 3 bath house on the beach which was great.
The staff lead by Ms Tam really did all they could to make our stay special, even took us to the local market to buy stuff so we could BBQ on the beach which was great. The small restaurant they have served great simple food and would try cook whatever we asked for ( off menu). not much to do in the area, apart from mud baths about 20 min away BUT if you are after peace and tranquility in good accommodation on the beach then THIS IS THE PLACE!

• Stayed: August 2016, traveled with family