Lan Rung Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Minh Dam Hotel(Phuoc Hai)
  • Room Service
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Saigon-Condao Resort(Con Dao Islands)
  • Pool
Tan Hoang Mao Hotel(Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province)
View Hotel
All reviewshill sideseaside roomamazing seafoodon the rocksacross the roadwestern choiceswe loved our stayno bookingfoot massageprivate beachbell boystaff went out of their wayprices are reasonablepool sidebeautiful hotelbuffet breakfastseafood restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I took a field trip here with my students and had a great time. The food was satisfying and the staff was helpful. The room was amazing and I had a great view of the ocean. Unfortunately there was very little beach and oil tankers seemed to dominate the ocean view. The bed was comfortable and the layout of the room was beautiful! If working out is your thing they have a basic workout room, but the main attraction was the pool. The layout was marvelous and could accommodate a good amount of people.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Adam W
BPhamLR, General Manager at Lan Rung Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Adam W,

Thank you for your comments. Our resort enjoys a unique location in Vung Tau, being almost on the water. The flip side of it is that the high tide covers most of the beaches. But on low tide you have a lot of playground as well as rocky formations with sea life to explore.

We are constanly working on improving our amenities and most importantly on the quality of our service.

Looking forward to greeting you again the the future.

B. Pham, Director

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Never again will I book on a recommendation without checking Tripadvisor first. Service was almost on-existent and disgusting when it was there. Lack of English at reception and even though they knew my partner was VN they avoided addressing him! Hillside View rooms means across the street, up the road and nowhere near the facilities of the hotel. Meals were average and overpriced. Breakfast was disgusting with minimal choice. Our AC did not do a thing to cool the room and the neighbours in the above spent over an hour dragging furniture across the floor thus making horrible noises. It only stopped when I told reception I would go up and personally strangle every one of the guests there if the hotel failed to act!
Staff wrestling in front of us while we were dining; trying to eat lunch next to the pool while people were actually coming in there and changing! No hot water to the hand basin in our room; a bed that made noises to wake you up every time you rolled over... I could go on and on. Four star? I do not know who made that up or awarded them to the place. I have stayed in better three star hotels. Never, never again!

Room Tip: Pick any room in any other hotel in VungTau and you will probably have a better experience!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert B
BPhamLR, Director at Lan Rung Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Robert B.,

We truly appreciate your comments, howerver harsh they might be. As the new Director of Lan Rung Resort & Spa, i'm dedicated to bringing our service up to par with a lot of hard work and in-depth training at all levels of staff and management.

I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future to see how much we have improved.

Best Regards,

B. Pham

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We spent 4 days at this hotel and by and large enjoyed it. The Vietnamese, in my humble opinion, have a little way to go yet in terms of catering to Western Tourism and Hospitality. There were many good points about the resort that were then marred by what I can only describe as lack of experience and training.

Good Point: Great food; if you stuck with the Vietnamese stuff on the menu, Bad point: I wouldn't try the western style dishes, Lamb Rack for example you could resole your shoe with it. Also staff have very little English, or French, for that matter, (I speak both,) so menu advice is just not going to happen.

Good Point: Nice tall ceiling rooms and bathrooms, (very colonial.) Bad point:Only one night stand where there was clearly space for 2, poor bathroom lighting and also when you're paying a good room rate it's just annoying to be charged 2 bucks for a broken ash tray in your room. (Between room, food and beverage we spent over 800 bucks here in 4 days.)

Good Point: really nice swimming pool. Bad point: 50 screaming kids and impossible to get a waiter to bring you anything. Also pool guards that wouldn't give you a pool towel until they saw your little slip of paper from reception, even when they had seen you 3 days running.

Don't plan on the beach being much use here either. Low tide was at midnight right now so during the day the ''beach,'' even though it seems to have been cleaned up, is about the size 1/4 of a football field. Referring to Colin O's comment.....that 'bugger' still hasn't moved the dredger yet......also it just sits there....no work going on with it at all so it's a bit of an eyesore.....but the beer was nice and cold when your looking at it.

Good point: They 'Boardwalk' that goes all the way down the front of the hotel is brilliant. It has a pizza shop, ice cream stand, 2 bars, and aquariums and terrariums full of seafood and fish for you to pick your dinner from. Bad Point: You're going to have to get used to eating weird things for breakfast. That being said don't be put off. When in Rome and all that. Try the Pho, (pronounced 'Fa ah' by the way,) for breakfast or lunch for that matter it's real Vietnamese comfort food.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David O

Dear David O.,

I've read and re-read your comments at least 4 times and each time I still get a good laugh. Such sense of hunour! My name is B. Pham and I'm the new Director at Lan Rung Resort & Spa. You points are well taken: it is true that a number of our staff is still not familiar with catering to Western guests but it cannot be an excuse. Intensive English training is our priority, with some French along the way (I also speak both).

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please don't forget to call me up, we'll have a cold beer and we'll talk about the @$/&?! dredger.

Kind Regards,

B. Pham

Reviewed June 20, 2013

On the advise of the concierge, we came here for dinner. It did not disappoint. The soft shell crab in tamarind sauce was nothing short of amazing. It ranks among my 10 all time favorite dishes ... that is not a small feat given I've lived in or travelled extensively throughout Tokyo, Hong Kong, Paris, Rome, New York, Washington DC, etc. The oyster congee was very good, as were the fresh oyster, grilled clams, and grilled blood cockles.

On a table full of fresh seafood, the odd man out - literally and figuratively - was the Vietnamese caramelized pork riblets. It was left wanting. The meat was not as tender and the flavors not robust as others we've had during our stay in Viet Nam. But, it was our error to order a landlock dish in a seaside resort.

Of course, we dined al fresco under a canopy of trees, sitting at the edge of a tidepool, and enjoyed the rhythmic thrumming of the waves against the rocks. And the air was cooled by the recent rain storm. Life was good.

Room Tip: Sit in the area closer to the swimming pool as it it outside and provides an unobstructed view of the water. The other seating areas were under cover, either partially or completely, and sported those tastless blue or green tarps they put up to prevent sea water from splashing patrons. Silly people!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SW_Buddy
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Went for a company meeting overnight and had a pleasant stay. The restaurant is really decent with fresh meats and seafood and not too bad service. But a few things are little amiss. First, why is the private beach so filthy? I saw 4 attendants all more concerned that no unauthorized guests were swimming in the pool (including a demand on me for my room number in a very brusque manner) than with the embarrassing filth littering the seashore. Second, the breakfast hall was steaming hot without any table service. Two very strange gaps in service which are really inexcusable. I hope they improve the details as its a really nice place with modest amenities but sometimes the missing points spoil the experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business