All reviews lime juice bike tour shared bathroom amazing location hang mua bamboo bungalows vietnamese culture close to nature surrounded by mountains free bikes off the beaten track small lake private bungalow bottled water mosquito net mua cave great hosts
Selected filters
Reviewed July 23, 2019

Awesome location and property. Spent 3 nights there and loved every minute. Didn't leave due to beautiful setting and watched nature all day - kingfishers, harriers, cinnamon bittern, waders, ducks etc.

Only drawback was the heat. At 38 degrees it was too hot to do much and no air-con (pointless in bamboo shacks) meant couldn't cool off even at night and with four fans going.

People very friendly and chatted away with us. Food great and inexpensive. Thank you to them but no thanks to rooster who woke us at 4 am each morning.

A must stay place in Vietnam. We will be back in a cooler season

Reviewed July 22, 2019 via mobile

My girlfriend and I originally planned to spend two nights at the Nguyen Shack in Ninh Binh, but ended up staying for 4 after a motorbike accident left my leg fractured. They had the kindest, most helpful staff. We ate all of our meals here, as we couldn’t really move, and the food is delicious. The views of their lake area are beautiful, and all of this is at such a reasonable price. Definitely will be back someday.

Reviewed July 13, 2019

I stayed at the Nguyen Shack for two nights as part of a wider Vietnam trip in July 2019 and would recommend it to anyone visiting Ninh Binh. The staff/family are absolutely wonderful and keen to tell you all about the area, provide recommendations and just generally talk to you through your stay. They take a lot of pride in what they do and it really shows.

The Shack is well located - it's nice that you can walk to the Hang Mua viewpoint - and everywhere is close by bicycle or scooter. You can borrow a bicycle for free or rent a scooter from the neighbours (or anywhere else in Ninh Binh). The complex consists of a small number of bamboo bungalows and a welcome/reception lounge which doubles as a restaurant through the day. On arrival I was warmly welcomed and was offered lime juice (and brought a fan) to complete the formalities. I had breakfast and dinner and enjoyed both - dinner was reasonably priced and I felt no reason to head out anywhere.

The rooms/shacks are basic but well appointed and have everything you might need - though there is no air-conditioning and the rooms get warm and stay very warm at night during the summer. There are a number of fans that you can move around the room and plenty of power outlets. Water is provided in a cooler and there is also bottled water and sodas/beers in the fridge which are at reasonable prices. The balcony and hammocks outside are a really fun touch.

I did get a few mosquito bites despite using lots of DEET repellent and the mosquito nets in the room, though I expected this.

If I'm back in Ninh Binh I will definitely return - and wouldn't hesitate to recommend to all my friends and family. Thank you!

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2019

This place is not easily noticeable. You'll see a sign on the right side saying to call a number for staff to pick up luggage right before entering Mua Caves. Someone in a scooter comes and picks up your luggage. Was greeted with welcome drinks. The staff was very welcoming and courteous. Always smiling! The views are amazing!!! Very relaxing. If you want to get a feel of the way Vietnamese people live, this is a great way. Price isn't too bad. They greeted my 3 year old daughter with open arms.

Ok so my ONLY complaint! THE WEATHER!!! Went during July and I should have checked to see if the shacks have AC. I traveled with a 3 year old toddler, 14 year old son and husband. Had the place reserved for 3 nights, but could only stand 1 night :(. I really wanted to stay, but the weather was very hot and humid. There are only a few fans in the room. I felt like I was baking in an oven. I had to check out the next day to a hotel with AC so walked next door to Mua Caves Ecolodge. Bleu and Hue are amazing!!! I would have LOVED to stay, but just couldn't because of the hot weather. It was burning over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and I just couldn't sleep comfortably. If we decide to come back it will be in better weather for sure.
Thank you to the staff for all your help!!! You guys are awesome!

Room tip: Do not go during summer
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2019

A great place to stay if you look for something raw and back to the basics. Simple, spaceous and clean rooms with 3 fans to cool you down at night and a musquito cover over the beds. Awesome terrace with hammocs to relax and enjoy the scenery after waking up. Great breakfast! Would definetely recommend this place.