“Visit Trang An over Tam Coc”
Review of Trang An Grottoes

$50.00*
Full day Bai Dinh pagoda and Trang An grottoes in Ninh Binh
Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in Ninh Binh
More attraction details
Owner description: Trang An grottoes which is a gathering of 31 valleys, 50 cross-water caves, and home to 600 kinds of flora and over 200 kinds of fauna, many of them in the Red Book of Vietnam.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I visited both Tam Coc and Trang An on the same day, so I could do a good comparison between the two. If you do not have the luxury of time and do have to make a decision, choose Trang An. Plus, if you are doing a day-trip from Hanoi, it is closer - right?

Trang An was extremely beautiful. A great sight, blissful and pretty much undisturbed by tourists. The pictures can do the rest of the talking.

I visited Trang An at 3pm, where there were little tourists around, so that could be one of the reasons why I preferred it so much more than Tam Coc, which I visited in the morning. It was a 3.5-hour long boat ride, where the boat lady dropped us off at several sites for temple visits etc. throughout the entire area voluntarily. The entire boat ride was extremely peaceful and we saw only about half a dozen other boats throughout the entire ride. There were no tourist traps around, the lady who sailed our boat was extremely polite and did not even ask for a tip at the end of the ride - though of course, you'd be more than happy to tip her at the end of it.

The only "minus point" for this trip was that they require the boat to be filled to the capacity of 6 before sailing off, so the two of us were joined by 4 other domestic Vietnamese tourists. We weren't able to communicate with them but they were polite enough to not be rowdy or too loud so the entire journey was still extremely pleasant.

2  Thank Bolong C

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I visited the trang an grottoes on a day trip from Ninh Binh city staying at Ngoc Anh Hotel. They arranged a car and driver for me to visit both trang an and also the van long nature reserve for all up $37 usd, we left the hotel about 8am and made our way first to Trang An, as I was traveling by myself you either have an option to buy a one person ticket and join others for 100,000 d ($5 USD) or pay for 3 seats at 300,000d and go by yourself, I waited and was soon joined by 3 local guys from Hanoi who were just great and really looked after me on the way around, the boat trip takes about 2 hours or so and goes through many caves en route, make sure you take an umbrella against the sun and also plenty of water. Also like me I am sure your butt will be aware of the 2 hours as you sit on wooden seats the whole way although there are times to get out at the pagoda and another stop en route, caves are great and it is nice and peaceful out there, I was put off Tam Coc as I didnt want the hassle and am not sorry I did
After seeing the nature reserve which I shall also post on we were back into the hotel about 1.30pm, a good day out and cheap as chips, well worth doing

3  Thank Simsee
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We did a day trip to Ninh Binh which included Trang An and the Bai Dinh Pagoda. I was not sure what to expect as I had read a lot about being hassled by locals in boats wanting you to buy various items and therefore chose Trang An over Tam Coc hoping it to be not as busy. Trang An was very quiet, we saw no-one other than other tourists on boats, and were not hassled by anyone which was great. There was no-one at all selling anything but we did go on a Friday as I had read on Trip Advisor forums and reviews to avoid the weekends for this reason (very good tip!).

2 hours on a small boat with very little room to move is quite a long time however the scenery is very beautiful and you do very quickly lose track of the time and just enjoy the trip. It is very peaceful indeed and the surroundings are really quite lovely. The local women who row the boats really do work very hard and deserve any tip you can spare to give them. We were not pressured to do this at all but felt it was only fair to show appreciation for their time and efforts. Our rower did use her feet (very cool!) but most of the others used their hands - still very hard work!

I would definitely recommend long sleeves or sun screen and an umbrella (and water) as you are out in the direct sun (except when in caves) for 2 hours plus and it does get quite warm indeed.

The scenery is similar to Halong Bay, on land, but no substitute for the real thing! Must see both I think just to appreciate the many scenic delights Vietnam has to offer. Very enjoyable!

3  Thank JulieH6061
Reviewed June 15, 2013

peaceful without the crowds of Halong Bay, fantastic Limestone Caves is a must when travelling to Nihn Bihn, the black and white monkeys were a real surpise...

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We went to Trang An by taxi at 4pm, 10 minutes from Ninh Binh, 100,000 dong. The crowds had gone and it was a very pleasant ride through the canals and caves. It cosr 100,000 dong ($5) per person for a ticket and we had four of us in one boat. Still needed a hat at that time of day because you head west. The first cave was very long and low. There were lights along the walls. It wasn't very cool inside the caves like Tam Coc. The scenery is just as good, quite stunning. We did not have to put up with peddlers and photographers which makes it so much more enjoyable. There were hundreds of sampans so it must be very busy at other times. I would recommend Trang An.

2  Thank emSherwood