“The friendliest hotel in Ninh Binh”
Review of Ngoc Anh Hotel 2

Ngoc Anh Hotel 2
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Ninh Binh
Llanbrynmair, United Kingdom
“The friendliest hotel in Ninh Binh”
Reviewed August 7, 2009

It has taken me far, far too long to get round to writing this!

I stayed at the Ngoc Anh for six nights in March this year and I still remember my time there with pleasure. Tam and his sister are perfect hosts, and it is them and their readiness to do everything possible to make their guests feel at home that sets this hotel apart from the others in the town.

I'm not entirely comfortable with smallish inside rooms so I stayed in one of the larger ones overlooking the street. Actually it was far too large for one person, but boy did I enjoy having all that space to myself. The balcony ran the full length of the room and it was great to sit out there in the morning and late afternoon to watch the world go by. The room, and indeed the entire hotel, were kept spotlessly clean.

Another large plus with the Ngoc Anh was that there was no need to go hunting for a restaurant at the end of a long and tiring day as the food there was terrific. The fish in tomato sauce was particularly delicious and I became addicted to the pineapple and cucumber 'salat', which I had with every breakfast and dinner!

The best way to visit the nearby places of interest is to hire one of their bicycles. Cuc Phuong is too far to cycle to, but Tam can organise a motorbike with driver/guide at a lower rate than that charged by other hotels.

I am very grateful to Tam, his sister and all the staff for making this old lady so welcome, and I highly recommend the Ngoc Anh to anyone who is contemplating a stay in Ninh Binh.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank CreakingBones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
London
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We have just completed a two night stay at the Ngoc Anh and we loved it. The staff are incredibly friendly, helpful and kind. They helped us arrange our sightseeing on motorbikes with drivers for only $10 for a day. This was a great way to see the sights around Ninh Binh. The staff also brought us juice when we returned from our trips.

The room was great value for money and everything at the hotel is kept very clean. The food in the hotel is also great - we ate here each night.

We would highly recommend the Ngoc Anh to anyone staying in Ninh Binh (which is the best wy to see sites such as Tam Coc and Hoa Lu rather than day trips from Hanoi).

Where in the world...?!
Reviewed June 10, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights and when we got to the hotel at 10pm the owner Mr Tom was waiting for us and was so welcoming! He gave us a map to help us work out exactly what to see in the area along with how long it took to get everywhere and offered to arrange travel for us for a very reasonable price. He also provided photos and local information on everything Ninh Binh and the local area have to offer which was really helpful when you only have a short stay as there is a lot to see here.
We ate at the hostel twice for dinner and both times the food was absolutely brilliant - i would especially recommend the fish in tomato sauce which is by far the best thing i have had in Vietnam so far! And the lady who cooks it is so friendly - she even gave us free fruit to eat once we'd checked out whilst we were waiting for our transport.
The room ws a good size, provided very good aircon and a fan, were spotlessly clean and the beds were very comfortable. I would definitely recommend Ninh Binh for all of its sights - especially Kehn Ga and Van Long, and i would definitely recommend this hotel.

byron bay
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Vey reasonably priced hotel where the service is excellent. Nothing is too much for the family who run the hotel, whether it be giving you directions to the many interesting sites in the area or obtaining the right medicine for a stomach bug picked up before our arrival!!Little extras like a friut juice prepared when you return from a hot cycle ride to an additional fruit plate offered with your breakfast all go to make your stay one of the most memorable in Vietnam. No wonder they are rated No1 in Ninh Binh!!

Sydney
Reviewed June 1, 2009

This hotel is a brilliant gem!

I decided to do some research before selecting a hotel in Nimh Binh, and I am so glad that I did. When I read how many great reviews that Ngoc Anh hotel had received, I knew that I wanted to stay there. I was a really traveller by that stage, beign worn down by staying in hotels with no English, getting sick and being conned and hassled by some of the Viets. So Ngoc Anh was a welcome relief from all that.

The name of the hotel translates to “Brilliant Gem” and the name is apt because that is exactly what it is. As soon as I walked through the doors I was at ease. The friendly owners, so warm and helpful, try their hardest to make sure you feel great, and it works! By far my most comfortable and memorable hotel experience in Vietnam. It was like a little oasis for me, and I decided to stay longer than I originally intended.

THE FANTASTIC MANAGEMENT

The hotel has everything you need in terms of your basic physical comfort, but it’s the help and attention you get from the co-owners which really makes the difference. This is a family run establishment and it shows. Here are some examples: I was sick and they went to great lengths to make me feel better. I was treated to complimentary massages with aromatic oil on my shoulders in the mornings, as well as orange juice, pineapple and medicines brought to me daily (as well as lots of enquiries about my health). Also I burned my leg and I was given burn cream and a roll of first aid tape for my bandage. There was nothing expected in return for these things and I really appreciated it as I was having difficulty sourcing these things at the pharmacy. Tam, the Co-owner, also went down the road for us to scan some documents we needed done and returned within 10 minutes. I saw him doing similar things for other guests. I doubt that you would get this service anywhere else except in a family run and caring place such as Ngoc Anh.

You get the feeling that the owners are very genuine and when they go out of their way to help you, all they want is to see you happy – its not to get a tip or commission somehow, unlike other hotel operators in Vietnam.

FEATURES OF THE HOTEL

At only 3 years old, the hotel feels new and has all the things you want:

• English speaking staff
• Air con and fan (the remote controls have English buttons!)
• Wifi and internet (2 computers in reception)
• Good bathrooms with hot water
• Comfortable beds and pillows (a real plus)
• Pleasant enough décor in room
• Rooms cleaned daily
• Nice food (home cooked – quite tasty!)
• Motorbikes and bikes for rent and good rates
• Maps and guidance
• Laundry service at reasonable rates

LOCAL ATTRACTIONS
The surrounding attractions around the hotel are really lovely and you can easily stay here for about 4-5 days to see them all. I would recommend a minimum of 2-3 days. Some tips:

- The caves here a must see. If you are pressed for time, go to Trang Anh caves, rather than Tam Coc, as the former is more beautiful and less crowded. Trang Anh was my favourite experience in Vietnam so far, even more so than Halong Bay.
- Go to Kenh Ga floating village and get a guide to take you on the boat. Its really cool to see the floating village and interact with the locals with the boatman/guide.
- Also Hoa Lu is special because it was Vietnam’s first capital after the expelled the Chinese and its really cool to see such old/important structures. This can be combined with the trip to Kenh Ga floating village easily as they are really close.
- The roads to reach those destinations are really pretty (spectacular scenery) and you get to see the rice growers doing their rice growing activities as well. It makes you appreciate how hard people work in the sweltering heat to produce rice.
- You can also go to the national park (Cuc Phuong) where you can see lots of monkeys and other animals. I would recommend that you go with a guide to show you the way there (doesn’t cost much extra). Unless you can speak Vietnamese, there is a good chance you will get lost on the way unless you take a guide.
- I hear that the nearby Cathedral is really special too, with Vietnamese/French architecture. I also heard from other travelers that its best to take the bus because the road out is dusty and busy with trucks. An interesting fact is that Tam, the Co-owner, learned English at this church for free and now he teaches poor kids how to speak English there for free.
- Tam will give you an overview of all of the attractions and how to get there. In addition to this, I recommend that you pick your destination for the day and before you set out, get some extra detailed directions from Tam or someone else on landmarks or other ways for you to know you are going in the right direction and where to turn off (as road signs are easy to miss and unless you are very close to your destination, the local villagers are not much help in giving directions).

HOW TO FIND THE HOTEL
Another tip – write the name and address of the hotel down on a piece of paper so you can hand it to a taxi driver when you arrive in town. Its the easiest way to get to the hotel. I wouldn’t attempt to walk as its about 10 minutes in a cab and so its probably a 30 minute walk (without a map and in the heat? No thanks!)

As you can see, this is a wonderful hotel and they deserve every success. I know my review might seem a little over enthusiastic but these are my honest impressions.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank volfie
Ha Noi
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Excellent Hotel. The room is nice and very clean, Staff are extremely welcoming and helpful and not pushy like other hotels in Vietnam. they helped us with local sightseeing trips and booking of train tickets easily, which they didn't charge any extra comission for, great level of English spoken. We hired bicycles and motorbikes and there is a lot to see in the area.

A real Gem - could have stayed for weeks !

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Johnathan-vn
the Netherlands
Reviewed May 11, 2009

We stayed 3 nights in this very clean family hotel.
The owener, mr. Tam is a very friendly, helpful men. His lovely wife is a very good cook! We rent good bikes for 2 days to see the area, it was great. Don't go to Tam Coc it is so touristic with a lot of hassle, go to Trang An caves, it is so relexed and very, very beautiful.
The only minus of the hotel are the stone-stonehard beds!
Highly recommended!