“Ants and cockroaches”
Review of Tay Ho Hotel

Tay Ho Hotel
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in Can Tho
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Stayed for 1 night in June. The hotel is in a good location.
Beware of the helpful lady that comes in and offers to do your washing and give you a 'discount' - check the prices, it is very expensive.
Room was OK at first... it was a reasonable size and looked clean....until we realised it was covered in ants. Then when we were trying to going to sleep we were woken up by a GIANT cockroach running along the top of the beds.
The fridge turns off when you take the key out - this was quite annoying. I can understand the lights and even the air conditioning.... But the fridge??
We did a tour organised through the guy in the lobby (not entirely sure if he is affiliated with the hotel or not). It was $25, from 5.30 til about 1.30. Our guide was lovely and spoke very good english. The tour dragged on a bit though, I would reccomend not going to the second lot of floating markets (they are exactly the same as the first ones but smaller) and going up and down endless canals got quite boring. The guide and the boat lady were lovely though, they made us little toys and jewellery out of flax and fed us lots of fruit.
We were able to store our backs for free at the hotel while we were on the tour.
Alll things considered I would not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed at Tay Ho for one night. It was ok, fairly clean, fairly comfortable beds, but was not our favorite place. The bathroom was also fairly clean. All of the other guesthouses/hotels we stayed at in SE Asia within the same price range or cheaper were cleaner, nicer, and more updated/modern. Not much character here, but I guess it did the job. The boat tour we arranged to the floating market was good and a fair price.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This hotel was very nice in terms of a cosy well decorated room, with its balcony, overlooking the river...
However...the fact that the power would only work, after inserting the key tag in a slot, ruined it for me!
It meant that everytime you returned to your room, the air conditioning & fridge would be off, leaving you with warm drinks & a very hot room....

This is meaness at its best, & there is no way I would recommend this hotel to anyone, because of this!

I actually found the air con to be way below par, even when it was going...

Apart from that, the hotel was pleasant, although the staff were quite impersonal...

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank carol w
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Room with Air Con, fridge, but without window costs 13 usd, no bargaining, there are fixed prices. The only good thing about windowless room is that you sleep well, having no clue what time it might be. If you need some rest go for it. Hotel is central located :) There is nothing suprisingly bad about the hotel, but the tours organized here are hm… strange. We agreed on a boat tour to Phong Dien floating market, but counting according to time needed, distance speed and direction, we suspect the boatwomen not to take us up to there. Next time I would probabbly try to speak with the boatspeople directly. They are hanging out on the promenade. Small motor boat for up to 3 people, costs cca 5 usd per hour. Btw, the hotel Tay Ho is ok (:

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Very clean room. Staff were very friendly and helpful. And location is ideal - views of Mekong, Ho Chi Minh statue and bustling local nightlife from the balcony.

Room Tip: Ask for a front room with balcony - worth the small extra cost.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 17, 2012

I have to say that it is hard to rate a room that you book to stay at but where the hotel has sold the room before I arrived. I had a confirmed (and paid for reservation) with a river view through Agoda. When I arrived (around 4pm) I was shown a room that did not have the river view or even a window! I explained this to the staff who then spent the next hour not really sorting the situation out. I was then offered another room with a window looking out on to a tin roof plus a partial refund. As I was only in Can Tho for 1 night I had done my research and had booked this hotel for river view as I had wanted to make the most of being in Can Tho for a short time. After 2 hours, it was getting dark my patience was running thin and I demanded a refund. I was then offered a room at the International Hotel as this had a river view (balcony) albeit a few hundred yards down the river. I accepted the offer as further conflict was not going to solve the problem and my time in Can Tho was rapidly disappearing. The International hotel was ok, a bit run down but ok for one night. I will write to agoda to complain about rooms at the Tay Ho being sold twice.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Peter M
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Tay Ho totally lived up to our expectations. check-in was very swift, the room was without window but very clean with good facilities in the bathroom. Very good value indeed. The location of the hotel is ideal for people looking for a visit of the floating market as the quai is just in front of the hotel. I would definitely come back here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple