“Best restaurant we visited in Can Tho”
Review of Mekong

Mekong
Ranked #11 of 183 Restaurants in Can Tho
Cuisines: European, Pizza, Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed August 6, 2019

We ate here on our first night in Can Tho but no other restaurant failed to live up to this one. The service was good, the food was of a very high quality and the slogan of 'eat like a local, stay like a friend' was very apt.

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (348)

Reviewed June 12, 2019

The Mekong restaurant is open from 3-10 pm, which is a pity that it doesn't open for lunch. The place is locoted opposite Ho Chi Minh's statue in Ninh Kieu wharf, which makes it a super convenient place to meet anyone because all the taxi drivers and most tourist know this place. You can sit in or outside and enjoy watching locals and tourist walking by. The beer gin and tonic is cold and cheap. free WiFi and there are a variety of local Vietnamese & Western food. Phung, the waiter speaks good English and is really helpful. The tachos and nachos are particularly good at a very reasonable price. The most famous Buddha temple in Can Tho is next door and it is close to TTC and Riverside hotels and the Can Tho foodmarket and clothing market. A great place to soak in the local life and the activities on the river!

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed June 4, 2019

We discovered this place by chance on one afternoon and were unable to eat there as the place only opens for business from 3.00pm to 10.00pm. We made it a point to drop by later for dinner and it did not disappoint. The staff (a guy) is pleasantly friendly and the fact he is able to converse in Cantonese was a plus point for us as we needed some recommendations on the local food. The catfish in pineapple curry is exceptionally good.

We dined again the following night as we liked the food there so much. Service was attentive and the quality of food is value for money.

A must try in Can Tho.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 21, 2019 via mobile

This place is exactly how it looks, food is basic and average, service is ok (Like everything in Vietnam the comms are sometimes difficult, and I ordered fried rice with my food, but got fries, I politely explained this, and instead of saying no problem I’ll get some fried rice, they took my whole dinner away for 10 minutes whilst the scraped of the fries and added the rice, and then returned it to me, at which point everyone else had finished their dinner. I now had hot fried rice on my plate with a cold steak!) but could be better, prices are good. Filled a hole but it won’t win any awards. However it’s saving grace, unlike many of the other restaurants in Vietnam, this one offered a selection of ice creams for dessert for the children. If you just want some basic food and beers/drinks at a good price, then it’ll suit your needs. Personally I wished we had tried one of the 2 restaurants to the left as you face Mekong, as they looked better.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed April 13, 2019 via mobile

Ordered a sea bass (baramundi) and my partner ordered pho. Got a small piece of fish, definately NOT sea bass, which tasted horrible. Partner only had half her meal. "Not good" was her comment

Date of visit: April 2019