“OK hike” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cerro del Toro

Cerro del Toro
Ranked #6 of 16 things to do in Piriapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Bull’s Hill is notable for its unique fountain: a bull spewing mineral water from its mouth.
Montevideo, Uruguay
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“OK hike”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Nice hike if you've already visited the more interesting hills like Cerro Pan de Azúcar, Cerro San Antonio and Sierra de las Ánimas.

Visited June 2013

Northampton, Massachusetts, USA
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Great short hike to a beautiful view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I chose to stay in Piriápolis because I wanted a quiet beach town with some short hikes nearby, and Cerro del Toro was my reward. The biggest problem I had was finding my way from the town center to the road that led up the hill to the parking area – it’s near a private campground that doesn’t offer mountain access.

If you’re in reasonably good shape, the paved road and the trail up the Cerro offer a great morning or afternoon hike. The climb is steep and rocky in spots, so wear good sneakers or light hiking boots. The statues, railings, and tropical plantings above the bull statue haven’t been maintained over the years, which is a shame (I kept picturing poor Francisco Piria weeping in his grave). But the steps leading from the bull to the jaguar statue are intact, and the trail above the jaguar is easy to find.

I was rewarded with bird sightings on the way up, and at the top, a lovely view of Piriápolis, the nearby Pan de Azúcar (Sugarloaf, the same name used for small mountains of this type in my native New England) and the town of the same name, and the ocean. It was windy enough at the summit that I had to be careful not to be swept off the cliff! Had I allowed more time and not done the climb shortly before sunset, I could’ve spent hours on the hill – there was a small forested area, some beautiful meadows with plants taller than I, and rock ridges that looked like fun to explore. I also saw a saguaro cactus – the first one I’ve seen outside of Arizona.

Visited March 2013
Montevideo
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Family outing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

It's not a climb for serious hikers, but as a family outing and for an excellent view over Piriápolis and the ocean, this is very enjoyable.

Cronulla, Australia
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“One of the five beautiful views of the unique Piriapolis area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

And to get this view, after driving to the Fuente del Toro (the Bull's Fountain), a huge bronze bull brought from France that pours mineral water off its mouth, you have to walk up during some 40 minutes among native woods. A lovely walk, usually nobody's there, and a magnificent view from the top. Free parking and entry.

1 Thank Ch4muy0
Sao Paulo, Brazil
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Easy to climb, worth the visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

If I could give someone two words of advice when visiting Uruguay I’d say: rent a car in advance and get free maps at the local tourist information bureaus. Reaching El Cerro del Toro is relatively easy and the road is good. When you first reach it, you won’t have any doubts because you’ll see a big handsome bull on top of a stairway, pouring water from its mouth. The place was very quiet and the Sun was shining when we visited it. We climbed the stairs and found an unexpected jaguar (statue) incredibly well positioned which made me wonder whether venturing into the wild would still be a good idea… however, I think there aren’t any wild jaguars running astray in the Uruguayan woods… So we climbed the Mount till the top and it was way worth it. Climbing is quick and safe, maybe not for the elderly, but many rocks along the path make the climbing yet easier. The view from the top is beautiful. The sea, the Hotel Argentino, birds which resembled condors flying very close to us and the wind whistling in our ears. It was a really nice and soothing experience. Being a São Paulo dweller made me wonder whether the car would still be waiting for us when we finally climbed down the hill but there it was and the visit was a pleasant moment which enriched our experience in that land.

3 Thank UNDTRIPS