“Fond Memories”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
Mount Gahinga Lodge
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I have very fond memories of this lodge. When I first arrived I was unsettled by the camping style bathrooms (you have to walk in the fresh air down some steps to another area which is attached to your cabana) but I quickly adjusted and found it a bit of an adventure. The immaculate housekeeping made it much easier to accept. We thought the food was the best of all the Volcano Lodges (and they were all good). Who would expect an African chef to cook spring rolls? They were delicious and a welcome addition to the menu. (When I travel I begin to crave some ethnic food). We thoroughly enjoyed the hike up to see the pygmy community and they put on a rousing song and dance performance for us. I'd recommend the half day excursion, rather than the full day. You'll see enough in that time frame. The staff are wonderful to sit around and visit with- a lovely experience in total.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Betty-Ann H

Reviewed February 11, 2012

This was part of my 12 day Volcanoes Safaris Primate Trek experience. I went to this area especially to view the golden monkey. It was a great trek, I would definitely hire a porter (at 63 and good shape, it was definitely helpful). The lodge is situated beautifully with great views from both the main lodge and my cabin. My room was very clean and comfortable and the hot water bottles at night were very appreciated. The food was good and the main hall's fire was a great place for a pre or post dinner drink. The only downside was the bathroom. The toilet and the shower are down a flight of stairs sort of in the open and it's cold during the night and early in the morning. The hot water was also pretty limited. I was told that this was the next lodge to get a facelift.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2011

This lodge, owned by Volcanoes Safaris was our second stop of the three Volcanoes lodges (Virunga, Gahinga and Bwindi). Having arrived after many hours of travel from the luxurious Virunga, our first impression was favorable, but after two days there, we were happy to leave. The food was at best good, not fantastic as was the food @ Virunga and later @ Bwindi. The Bandas were comfortable but the drop toilets and bush showers should be upgraded. We went for a walk to visit a small Pygmy village but after hiking almost 6 km, there were no Pygmies to be found. Pretty disappointing as this is one of the lodges featured hikes. The staff was professional, as with the other lodges owned by Volcanoes, but this lodge needs to be brought up to the same levels of value and amenities as the other two properties.

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank Artdealer2
Reviewed September 15, 2011

This lodge is up in the mountains in Uganda. The individual "bandas" are very roomy. Elecricity is solar and can run out by night. Hot water bottles are put in the beds at night to keep you warm and do a good job. Eco toilets can be a bit weird at first, but they are clean and much better for the local environment. I took a guided walk through the local area and met many local children. A great experience! It is cool up in the mountains, so be sure to dress for it. Birding is good there too. A great location and well worth the bumpy trip there. Food is good and served when you want it. Staff are all wonderful!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Angela_from_ATL
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Great place to stay. All of the Volcanoes company lodges are beautiful and well run. What I can add to previous reviews is the "culture walk" offerred by the lodge. It is not promoted when you are there, but it was a highlight on our trip. You take a half day (or longer if you wish) up into the hills to visit homes, see the crops up close, meet the local residents, visit the village of pigmy descentents and admire the beautiful views from the hills. This is a great alternative to the Golden Monkeys which can be elusive to see.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2011

I loved the setting of this lodge. You are surrounded by vegetation. The chateaus were so cute. It was good being in the country side surrounded by farmland. We were a short walk from the park. The food was excellent. Staff were kind and helpful. A great experience.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2010

My wife and I ended our two week trip with two nights at Mt. Gahinga Lodge. It was a great trip and a great place to end the journey. We were the only guests while there, but it worked out great. Francis, Innocencia, Stephen, Julius.....everyone was great. Stephen's food was delicious (tilapia, pork chops, stew, fried potatoes, mushroom soup, minestrone soup..I could keep going), and the staff made us a cake for our 2 year anniversary while there. What a nice thought!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
#5 of 31 in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Chameleon Hill Lodge Bwindi
Chameleon Hill Lodge Bwindi
#4 of 31 in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park

Been to Mount Gahinga Lodge? Share your experiences!