“Nice GH!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 49 Sukhothai B&B and Inns
Killarney, Ireland
“Nice GH!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

Got a good price on a double bungalow here, staff were very nice giving us some extras for the room to make our stay more comfortable.
The bungalow itself was pretty basic but very clean and always had hot water.
It had free internet and some good advice for travelling northwards.
all in all for the price you really cant go wrong here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chiang Mai, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

If you can afford an extra 100 baht, a room at the back of the property is a good splurge (but still affordable). The rooms are spacious and clean. The garden settings around the property are lovely and the pool is a nice touch, though it could stand to be a little cleaner. The family who runs 4T is very nice. Good motorbikes available for rent at a fair price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank rdetata
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay. Got a bungalow with bathroom, aircon and a cozy veranda for a reasonable price. The room was pretty basic, but very clean, with a comfortable bed. I was lucky not to have any noisy neighbors, so I felt totally relaxed there and extended my stay I bit more than planned. The swimming pool was probably not the cleanest one I have ever seen, but I used it every day and didn't experience any skin problems ;) and it was so nice to swim a bit after wandering around the town or getting a tan by the pool :)
The staff were very nice and hospitable, and the fruit shakes were excellent :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank kattepus
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

I chose to stay here after reading about it in the Lonely Planet and seeing that it had a pool.
On arriving I was greeted by a man I assumed to be the owner and his daughter. They were perfectly friendly but the pay off to the tuk tuk driver did not go unnoticed. More fool them cos I asked him to take me there!!!
The accommodation itself is quite nice. Firm mattress a on big bed in a clean & well appointed room.
The bathroom was a bit shabby and in need of a touch up though. No toilet paper either which is a bit of a bummer, if you'll excuse the pun. Toilet is of water-in-bowl- to-flush variety, which I am used to but for the price would one probably expect a western style flush. Small point, but people should know the whole shebang.
I slept well all 3 nights I was there.
Didn't use the pool as the water did look quite murky bit I think some other guests did.
Place has free wi-fi throughout.
I paid 300BHT per night for a double room with fan.
Location is ok. About 7 mins walk from the main street.
What lets this place down is the staff. They aren't that helpful unless you're buying something from them, and even then it feels like they're trying to scam you. I asked about buses to my next destination and was quoted 2 prices. When I asked if the higher price included a transfer I was told that it didn't. When I asked why the prices were different the guy said that the higher price included a booked seat.
In my, pretty extensive, experience of travelling around Thailand I have never heard such tosh. If a bus is full then there are no more tickets sold. I just wish the guy had been honest and said that booking through the guesthouse incurred a fee.
After speaking to other travellers it would seem that there are nicer places in better locations in the same price bracket.
Wouldn't recommend this one.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank jo_thomson
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

We got sold the 4t Guesthouse at the bus stop and frankly being tired we gave in.
The bungalows are very close one to another so if you have noisy neighbors you're doomed.
Our experience was : the bungalow was clean and relatively quiet except for the dog barking around, breakfast we had pancakes which were good and very filling, great ginger tea.

Downside: Owner made us pay 200 bath to go the the historical park, when we came back we paid 40 to go on the local "bus-taxi" so not very honest of him.

Staff was friendly, general atmosphere was good but nothing exceptional.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LeilaMauro
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

We chose this hotel because we liked how it looked in the pictures on the website, but of course the reality was VERY different from what we had seen online. The pool just looked gross, absolutely not inviting, with green dirty water! (And in fact, nobody used it during our entire stay.) The bungalows in the front don't have windows, only mosquito screens, which means you can hear EVERYTHING. It was usually very noisy at night, so we didn't sleep well at all. These bungalows also don't have toilets that flush, so you have to 'flush' by using water from a bucket. (Which is not uncommon in some hotels in Thailand, but they are usually half the price from what we paid here) and we had a disgusting smell coming from the toilet during our entire stay, no matter how much water we put in. I am not sure if the (nicer) bungalows in the back have flush toilets, but they have glass windows and terraces with a table & chairs - if you decide to stay here, I would definitely recommend staying in one of these.

You are not even provided with toilet paper, you have to actually ask to get some - I saw several people going up to reception to ask for toilet paper, and since there are almost exclusively Westerners staying at the hotel, I don't understand why the rooms are not equipped with toilet paper before the guests arrive.

The food in the restaurant was only mediocre; both dishes we had ordered for dinner were more or less flavorless – you can find better food at the night market. Breakfast was okay.

The staff was more concerned with themselves than with the guests, and they were the least informed people we've come across in Thailand. You can't ask them anything, and if you do, don't expect to get an answer (for example at what time the historic park opens, restaurant recommendations, etc) We wanted to take a bus or songthaw to Kamphaeng Phet from Sukothai, but were told that there wouldn't be any. Which is not true at all!

The hotel is located on a little road behind a dirty stinky garbage-infested canal; I assume that is where the sewage from your bucket toilet probably pumps into.

And last but not least I'd like to point out that after our stay, we both had several bites all over our bodies.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Globetrottergirls

Travelers are raving about these Sukhothai hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

Upon arrival after our 6 hour bus trip from Bangkok, we were tired. We had a scant few ideas in mind of where to stay thanks to some guidebooks, but we were pleasantly surprised by the owner of 4T who greeted us at the bus station with an excellent hotel flyer. He brought us to the guesthouse to show us the rooms (with no obligation to stay) and we instantly loved it. Green tree-lined paths led us from a decorated reception area past a clear, clean pool to our 2-person bungalow. Everything was new (built within the past year) and the rooms were clean and air conditioned. The owners speak English to help you plan trips to the nearby ruins and they will help call you a taxi or tuk tuk. And at 600 baht, this is the best priced bungalow in town. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed January 2012