“A rewarding,beautiful and memorable experience”

Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary
Ranked #12 of 33 things to do in Sukhothai
More attraction details
Owner description: Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary (BLES) is a small, family run, home for elephants and all other animals in need. Established in 2006, BLES focuses on saving land from deforestation and helping elephants recover from their traumatic pasts.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I visited BLES with my mum and dad in June;we chose BLES because it focused on the welfare and well-being of its animals,rather than the commercialised,tourist elephant experiences advertised elsewhere.We were not disappointed by our choice;our time there provided us with an insight into the constant battles and hard work Katherine and her team have in their endeavour to enable these beautiful creatures to a better life.The accommodation was in a tranquil setting,and although basic,was tastefully and aptly decorated,clean and adequate for our needs. Katherine and her team made us feel very welcome throughout our stay,and even surprised me with a cake to help celebrate my birthday!If you want to help support the plight of vulnerable elephants, I strongly recommend a trip to BLES.I thoroughly enjoyed my time there,and cannot wait to return!

7  Thank chloe_worsty

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

My 5 days at BLES are hands down one of the most incredible experiences ive had in my life to date. Unlimited time with the elephants, beautiful scenery and genuine people are all combined to make this a fantastic journey for anyone who visits. Cannot speak highly enough of BLES.

9  Thank phoebevandoorn
Reviewed June 26, 2013

If there is a heaven on earth, this must be it! I just got home from my second stay at BLES and must say every day there is as wonderfull and exciting as it possibly can be. BLES is not about riding elephants or elephants painting or playing football.Unless many other places that call themselves a sanctuary, this is one of the only real sanctuaries where the elephants can just be elephants without having to work! If you go there, be prepared to watch elephants from a distance. Every day you go on a morning walk with Fa, who is a wonderfull guy, and in the afternoon there is another walk or other activities (eg shopping for bananas and other fruit for the elephants). It is amazing seeing the natural interactions between different animals. There are also many cats and dogs around, as Katherine cannot walk away from an animal in need. If you care about animal welfare, you will certainly have the most amazing time at BLES watching the beautiful elephants, interacting with the dogs and cats, listening to Katherine's amazing stories about every individual animal, and so much more. I felt sorry that I had to go home after 5 nights. But I know I will be back one day. This place, the people and the animals at BLES are just too lovely!

27  Thank aschamp
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I visited BLES with two of my friends in early May. I can honestly say that they were probably the best 4 days of my life!

I can't even begin to describe what a great place it is. Seeing the elephants in the place where they are meant to be is amazing. Katherine is a great story teller and it was lovely to learn about the elephants lives.

The food was amazing (and vegetarian), the company was amazing and just the whole place was amazing. Katherine's children are exceptionally polite and adorable and were a joy to be around! The kittens melted my heart!

I learnt so much about so many different things, including how to chop a banana tree down (hard work haha!). We went to a local school to teach thai children English, we rescued a dog and her newborn puppies, then went back the next day to rescue the daddy off the puppies! We got to visit the historical park with Katherine's assistant, Fa. We got to help Katherine with feeding the dogs and (millions of!) cats and kittens.

I could go on and on about this place and what we did, but I will leave it now and just say YOU HAVE TO GO!

I will always, always have a place in my heart for BLES. Even now, I feel very emotional about it. I hope that one day I can go back there to make my dream come true for the second time.

19  Thank hayleymcbayley
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I did a lot of research regarding different types of establishments who offer experiences with beautiful asian elephants - I feel very blessed that I chose Boon Lott's Elephant Sanctuary as it was truly a life changing and moving experience for me. I booked well ahead of time as Bles fills up quite quickly. There are 3 lovely cottages on-site, comfortable and well furnished. I flew from Bangkok to Sukhothai and stayed the night at the Sukhothai Heritage Resort (Which is also fantastic) and transfers were arranged by Bles (1 hour away) As a lover of all animals, in particular Elephants - It really was wonderful how gentle and intelligent these majestic creatures are. Lotus, Pang Dow and Wassana are 3 lovely ladies who enjoy attention and we were lucky enough to be able to feed them fresh fruit every morning and enjoy a morning and afternoon walk together. The food was delicious! As a vegetarian I was in heaven :) You certainly won't go hungry. Seeing elephants just "being elephants" and not being exploited for humans and tourism is very special. I could have watched them all day!
Bles also houses dogs/puppies cats and kittens - all stray animals are welcome at Bles and taken care off. Nothing is too much trouble and you are well looked after ! Far (Katherine's assistant) is lovely and will assist with your needs and to save the best for last - Katherine is such a grounded, compassionate person - a true inspiration. You will enjoy her company and endless stories. Best experience to date, you won't be disappointed.

19  Thank Rayna1980