TR Guesthouse
$21
$18
Orbitz.com
Excellent 5/5
All reviewsthe ownerthe busold citynight markethistorical parkcomfortable bedtuk tukminute walkgreat place to stayprivate bathroompoo restaurantchiang maiguesthousebungalowbahtstationwifi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The guesthouse is well located and fairly priced, breakfast is extra, but tasty and not expensive at all. We were in one of the bungalows at the back of the property and there were a few issues, like the absence of hot water (the heater never worked) and the non existing wifi back there, so we had to go to the lobby area to surf the internet. Also the staff could be a little more communicative and helpful, they just give you the quickest answer with the minimum amount of words to your questions and they do not mind the little details, which I think are the key to excelling in this business (for example, they would not let me make a local phone call and waved me off to a phone booth at the nearby 7-11).
A big plus is the bed, the most comfortable so far, but once all in all it´s the little things that matter and I felt a bit let down there.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marckid
Reviewed March 24, 2014

(This would be a 4 star review if not for the owner)

We arrived in Sukhothai planning to stay here, thanks in part to a recommendation in the Rough Guides. There are a few other nearby guesthouses. Checking in, they balked when I showed them a copy of my passport (we live in Thailand and didn't bring them). Saw and chose a fan room, a colorful place with a firm (non-inner-spring) bed and plenty of plugs. We were subjected to the live concert across the river some hundreds of meters away. Not their fault the night market is so noisy, but closing the doors barely blocked out the sound.

The next morning, we got up and attempted to rent a motorcycle from the guesthouse. The check-out lady called over the owner, who wouldn't rent one out without a passport as deposit. That I could provide a copy of my passport, a drivers license, and us leaving our stuff here wasn't enough - he had to have a passport. (We found another shop down the street that rented one for the copy and a 2,000 baht deposit.)

Maybe they're dealing with a number of tourists that cause them to get rather anal about stuff. CCTV cameras in the hallways made me wonder a bit more...

Good price for what you get as far as a room goes, and you're within walking distance of the night market and a 7-11.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OneWeirdGlobe
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We booked on booking.com and were a bit worried after reading the comments about the service but our stay was great. We arrived on time so maybe it helps but staff was welcoming extended our booking for one more night with no problems. The room was clean and had a/c, great for less than 500 baths per night! the bed was comfi, bathroom had a hot shower and ok the sink is in a separate room and it was abit weird but again not a big deal especially for this price. We had breakfast one morning and the food was good and normal price. One evening they recommended a restaurant as their kitchen was closed and that was an excellent recommendation (Chula for those who want to try amazing Thai food for a very cheap price)
So great experience, very good value for money, central location, I definitely recommend!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pilou1804
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night in TR Guesthouse to make the trip Ayutaya-Chiang Mai better. The guesthouse was clean, double room was good, warm shower, good airco. I would recommend to eat at the guesthouse: good food for good (cheap) prices. Don't go to Chopper Bar, bad quality of food, expensive, cocktails too sweet and a horrible service, very unfriendly and even rude. So better eat at your hostel!:)

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J G
Reviewed February 20, 2014

There was a time when this was the best guesthouse in Sukhothai and it was highly recommended in various guidebooks. However, nothing remains constant forever and the new competition now offers far better value rooms than TR although TR still has the edge in terms of its restaurant and ambience.

Prices at this guesthouse are 300 Baht for fan rooms and 450 for aircon. In Lampang, I can get an exquisite and huge aircon room at Tonnam Guesthouse for 300 Baht with lovely decorations and a home away from home feel. At TR, I get a room with no table to put the laptop on, no chairs, no television, no fridge and no wash basin in the toilet. Instead, the wash basin is located in the clothes-drying room adjacent to the next-door restaurant car park and the windows there cannot be fully covered, meaning you never have privacy. Even the fan is mounted on a wooden bench.

The couple who run the place can speak English wekk, but, if they are out, you will need an interpreter. The other members of staff don't have more than about 10 words of English between them and even checking in can become an ordeal. The mind boggles as to why they think a guesthouse catering nearly exclusively to foreigners should be staffed by people who can only speak Thai. The staff tend to be very cold too by Thai standards and a smile is a rarity.

I have stayed here several times in the last decade. In the early days, I knew I couldn't expect any better elsewhere either. However, this has now changed and I think I may need to change with the times too and lay my head next time in rather more pleasant sleeping quarters.

Room Tip: Go for an aircon room. The fan ones are hopeless.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo