“Koh Adang - away from it all, but not for the fainthearted” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tarutao National Marine Park

Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Satun
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Andaman Sea, this is Thailand’s largest marine park that is a popular area for outdoor naturalists, snorkelers and scuba divers.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Koh Adang - away from it all, but not for the fainthearted”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2010

I was looking forward to the stay on Koh Adang, the undeveloped island in the Tarutao National Park where you can stay in National Park accommodation, for a taste of the quiet life and the sparking turquoise waters that I'd seen pictures of online. Perhaps it was the weather (cloudy at best, sometimes torrential and always disappointing) or perhaps it's me and that I'm getting too old for budget accommodation, but I had a dismal time. The accommodation itself is very good value at £16 a night for a private bungalow with bathroom, and it was certainly clean, but I had the most uncomfortable two nights there on account of the beds (other travellers have complained of the hard beds in Thailand and I've had to disagree - but this really was like sleeping on a board), the shortage of electricity (available from 18:30 to 23:30 only) which put paid to the electric fan overnight, and the very chilly cold water shower. I was also very disappointed with the view from our bungalow (of the Rangers station. If you do decide to go here, I would advise you to book bungalow 1 or 2) and the scenery in general. As I mentioned, the weather was poor so the sea was not the emerald/turquoise mirror I had hoped for), but the beach was largely without shade and the sand very gritty. All in all, it wasn't a good spot to hang out in, and neither was the restaurant, which was extremely utilitarian and, much worse, built right away from the beach. This may seem trivial, but it would have made all the difference being able to gaze out to sea on a shady terrace with a cold drink to hand. On the plus side, we did see a colony of hornbills and were delighted by the birdsong of what is still a mystery bird whose whistles came in bursts of 8 to 10, each more piercing than the last, until they stopped abruptly only to begin again a few minutes later.
If you're looking for the simple life and don't mind a bit of discomfort, then this could be the right place for you, especially if the sun is shining - but I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend it.

26 Thank MinxOnTheMove

• Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Philadelphia, PA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“This place is awful. Stay away.........”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2010

I was on Ko Lipe in March 2010. I took a 5 hour ferry from Ko Lanta got a bungalow for the night (lots of dirty ones abound) smelled the rubbish piled up in the yards everywhere, took a look at the very noisy tourist filled beaches and got on the next boat out in the morning. Do not bother to come here. It is dirty and full of tourists. It is a shame but true.........

14 Thank SunnyDays
Bangkok, Thailand
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Ko Lipe: snorkelling paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2008

Ko Lipe is very close to Tarutao group of islands, which is national park. Lipe is the only private island around there and closest to Lungkawi of Malaysia.

My trip: 15-18 April 2007, 4 adults and 3 children 4-8 ys old.

Mid April especially Songkran holidays (13-16) is considered the end of the season. After this period, the local said the island is closed, basically means no one operates the tourism business until October, due to monsoon.

Varin Beach Resort,
where we stayed at the standard air con bungalow.

The bungalow was good and clean. Unlike its standard look of the bungalow, the bed was extra comfy, deep pocket spring with good quality white linen. The food is great but the a la carte prices are abit high, when we ordered extra fod for the children. I would recommend getting the full board option. (We bought only the package with one dinner).

Tarutao Cabana Resort
(still on Ko lipe) facing Lungawi island

We had a stop at this beach in one evening. We would come here next time. The beach is bigger and cleaner. The bungalows look less aged and they were constructing the new ones right on the front row. The beach there had a lot of sea animals. We don't need fins or snorkelling masks. just the swimming glasses can do as the water is only knee high around 4 pm.

Most important, food here was so delicious and owner was super friendly.

For the snorkeling experience, we really loved it. 4 adults and 3 children. Everybody enjoyed themselves very very much. The underwater world there was really and already something for a non diver like us.

1 Thank Atom