“Outstanding snorkeling!”

$108.30*
Full Day Similan Island by Speedboat from Phuket
Ranked #3 of 20 things to do in Phang Nga
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

The speedboat drive for ca 1.5 hour out to Similan Islands and out there it was fantastic snorkeling! Lots of fish and even a big turtle! (Bring a banana for them). Great landscape with strange rocks.

4  Thank Swedejane
There are newer reviews for Similan Islands

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We did our tour out of khao lak so traveling time to the pier was reasonable! Boat ride a bit bumpy but our lovely lady boy hostess 'gaga' was wonderful in looking after all the sickies!! The islands are beautiful with powder white fine sand and crystal blue waters. We were very lucky to swim with a turtle. Beautiful experience. There were not that many interesting fish and the coral is brown. Our tour company Fantastic Tours by memory were excellent. The speed boats were well maintained, the staff helpful and the lunch provided was also of a reasonable quality and plenty of it!! Worth a visit.

3  Thank Gillie G
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Did the day trip in April and didn't check the forecast. Two hours in minivan with 6am pickup in Patong. Breakfast at the port was pre-pack dry sugar coated toast and coffee or tea. Before boarding the speed boat everyone was asked to remove their shoes. I thought we would get them at the island, but didn't get them back until back on the mainland. Without shoes, walking around on the island is difficult. I suggest if you still go after this review, put your shoes in your travel bag when they ask for them. The boat had snorkel and mask, but if you want fins, you need to hire them at the pier while you have breakfast. The 1.5 hours on the boat banging against the waves wasn't fun with 40 people crammed into the boat. Some had to stand the whole trip. When with got to island #8 we were told we could go ashore for a while. However, after 30 minutes of maneuvering, the guide told us we wouldn't as it was too rough to anchor. Island #9 was cancelled because of strong tide, so we went to island #4 at 10:30am to have lunch. Got to the lunch hut at 11am and because 400 - 500 other people were there, the lunch hut was very busy and we were told to go and relax for an hour. I stood in the rain for a bit but found some shelter under the outside of a nearby hut. Every bit of shelter was used by people standing out of the rain. After a miserable hour went to the lunch hut and got a mass produced selection of bland food, that at least got me out of the rain for an hour. Gathered on the beach in the rain for another an hour where the guide eventually asked if we wanted to stay longer or go back. 80% wanted to go back and so we did, with most people getting very wet in the speedboat on the way back. I only saw 2 people out of the 40 on board swim at the island. The minivan blowing cold air on me with wet clothing for 2 hours was another feature of the tour. I was most relieved to get back to the hotel and have a hot shower. Even in good weather, I think the travel time would have been too much for the time on the island. Out of the 4 island in the program to visit, with only visited 1 and did no swimming. Waste of time and money. There are plenty of other nice islands to visit in Thailand without the travel time.

3  Thank Barney098
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Richelieu Rock was awesome and I would come back to see it! Many things happen during different time of the day.. Never going to miss it if I got a chance to go there again. :)

2  Thank LizaJehan
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Beautiful beach but not worth a 1.5 hour boat ride and 2 hr Road trip from Phuket island. Snorkeling is a nightmare with more flippers in your face than fishes and almost non existant corals.
Been visiting Phuket for the last 15 years and I must say I am really saddened by the state of affairs. Will definitely be my last trip here.

4  Thank WanderLust C