“Favourite part of our Thai holiday!”

Blue Guru Dive Centre
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We decided to go off to paradise to learn to dive, and it was amazing. We stayed in the budget beach huts (which are basic but perfect) and had 'our' beach to ourselves for the first few days. The island is idyllic, the people friendly, and Blue Guru is the way to make your holiday. Chris and Helen from Blue Guru were brilliant, they sorted out our accommodation and advised on the best transport options, all we had to do was turn up and enjoy! The rest of the dive school team are great, so friendly and helpful. We went to Australia afterwards and actually found the diving at Surin with Blue Guru better (shock horror!) than the Great Barrier Reef in terms of visibility and marine life. We'll be back to Blue Guru next season. thanks guys, keep doing what you're doing!

Reviewed March 13, 2012

I have always wanted to learn to dive in the tropics so I discovered this remote paradise Koh Phra Thong. Chris and Helen organised the whole diving holiday from the air-conditioned taxi transfer to and from Phuket airport to the longboat trip to the island and the awesome accommodation, food and service at Golden Buddha Beach Resort. I was greeted by Chris at Kuraburi pier and over my time on the island was treated like a good friend. The Blue Guru staff were incredibly professional, thorough, fun and oh so warm and welcoming. Ilona, my dive instructor, Marion, the DM and two of the DMT interns guided me through the Padi Open Water course and at all times I felt safe and in good hands. We had lots of laughs and they made me feel so welcome. They also introducing me to the island's many attractions and a well earned beer or two after a long day of diving. Make sure you take the day trip to the beautiful Surin Islands and do your last two open water dives there! I also did a few Adventure deep dives before I left. I didn't want to leave and I can certainly say that I will be back. If you want a real getaway and discover the deep blue with an amazing, passionate and fun group of diving professionals then Blue Guru Diving is the place to go. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Keith A
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Chris, his family and staff are some of the best people in the best location in all of Thailand. If you want to do some real diving away from the masses these are the people to speak with.

S Blyth

Reviewed March 5, 2011

We stayed 8 days at the Golden Buddha beach resort in Feb 2011 on Koh Phra Thong where Blue Guru is based. The resort itself is splendid, quiet, service is impeccable, the houses are beautiful and comfortable, food is delicious... There is also 10 kilometers of beach with no one in sight.

We had picked Golden Buddha and Blue Guru since it seemed to offer the best scenario for us allowing my wife and I to dive the Surin Islands and Richelieu rock on day trips while my parents and our 2 year old son could enjoy the nature and the beach at Koh Phra Thong.

Dives at Surin islands were great and Richelieu Rock is simply spectacular. The logistics for the trips was flawless, Helen and Chris work hard and run a tight operation in a very friendly relaxed atmosphere. Dive groups were small (we pretty much always had a divemaster to ourselves) and the pace unhurried.
The great surprise for us was the local dives, we were lucky enough to dive with Chris and enjoy nice long and slow dives, allowing us to look for and observe all kinds of critters. While the coral has suffered quite a bit and the local dive sites are not as spectacular, they are still teeming with life (nudis, cuttlefish, all sorts of juveniles, morays, shrimps, etc.), different but just as great in my book.

To sum it up, Blue Guru is a great dive op, great option if you travel with non divers and still want to make it to Surin and Richelieu without going on a liveaboard. As was mentioned in almost all the other reviews, what sets them above the rest is the fact that Chris and Helen will go out of their way to make not only your dives but also your entire trip a memorable experience.

1  Thank Remi23
See more reviews
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Following a bad experience I find it therapeutic & easy to write a review, whereas motivating myself to give credit where credit is due is far harder. So, it takes a special place for me to put finger to keyboard & Blue Guru is just such a place.

Blue Guru is based on a beautiful island, a short boat ride off the beaten tourist track. The location wouldn't suit someone looking for bright lights and a wild night life, but if you are into peace, quiet and wild life above & below water you're looking at the right place.

Blue Guru were highly efficient helping us with the booking process, faultlessly organising diving, accomodation and transfers despite us making multiple changes to our plans.

On arrival, Helen provided excellent service above water - despite obviously working hard, long hours she was always smiling & willing to help making arrangements, or simply trying to identify a fish from my suitably vague description. Below water she proved to be a patient & skilled instructor - she also gets bonus marks for spotting a Manta and turtles on consecutive dives! With the small goup sizes, attentive service, and great dive locations I can't think of a better location or instructor to do a course with.

As for accomodation, we stayed at the Golden Buddha resort which proved to be a wonderful place to stay - the Golden Buddha web site doesn't do the place justice. The service was very attentive but not fussy - they went out of their way to cater for my vegetarian wife producing huge quantities of good food every night. Blue Guru also offer to arrange lower cost accomadation elsewhere on the island, this looked a really good basic beach hut option.

All in all an excellent value trip thanks to the Blue Guru team.

1  Thank jarvis009