“Can't grumble for £3 a night”

Mr. Jan's Guesthouse
Ranked #29 of 170 Pai B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Great location, cheap as chips. Me and my girlfriend stayed for a couple of nights and had no problems at all.

Shower and toilet are primitive but to be expected for the price. The gardens are lovely and the huts themselves look nice from the outside.

Room was clean and basic... loved the Chicken Little bed sheets! Plus, it's just off the main street which comes alive at night.

Pai was one of our favourite places in Thailand, so chilled and definitely worth a visit if you are in or around the Chiang Mai area. The bus journey over the mountains was brilliant, with great views. Although my girlfriend was terrified for the whole journey!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank micjbrown
There are newer reviews for Mr. Jan's Guesthouse

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here for three nights and would happily go back again next time we're in pai. Very cheap and excellent value for money!! We loved it here. The bed was quite uncomfy but other than that there are no complaints. The staff are lovely and say hello whenever they see you. It's little bungalows inside their lovely garden. The view is brilliant, all mountainous. Although its very close to the center it is extremely quite and perfect. The shower even offers hot water, which is brilliant because many places offer it but it never works, but it worked excellently here! The rooms are small, but they give you all you need and for the money you're paying it's defiantly good vaule!!! Although you have to ask when you need more toilet roll as room isn't cleaned daily.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I found this guesthouse after viewed the positive review from TripAdvisor.

I stayed here for 3 nights since the rate was only 100baht per night. I have a very clean private bathroom with hot shower and comfortable double bed in the room. They also provided cloth line outside the room. so that you don't need to get your clothes to laundry.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We found this place after we initially checked into a hut in Pai which we paid 100 baht for but then realised it had massive holes in the floor and ceiling so checked out straight away. We looked online and found Mr Jans had been recommended by a number of different travellers on various websites. We checked in the same day and were so happy with our move! As backpackers, we loved this place because it represented excellent value. It was located right in the centre of Pai, walking distance from all the restaurants and bars, but yet tucked away enough not to be noisy, and in a very tranquil setting. It was one of the few budget places made from concrete not wood, and it was sealed with mossie nets on all the windows, which I loved because we didn't have to worry about bugs or getting hot. There was a very strong fan in our room, a TV and a bathroom with hot shower. All this for 250 baht between two (~£2.50 per person) you can't say fairer than that! It had a porch to dry clothes, a big padlock on the door, it was clean and the beds were comfortable.
The only fault I could find was that the woman on reception was quite unfriendly and didn't like it when we kept asking for new toilet rolls (because our room wasn't cleaned and we kept running out).
I would definitely stay here again if I returned to Pai, it was a perfect base for our holiday and we loved Pai!!

Room Tip: Just make sure you turn your porch light off at night or it will attract bugs!
Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jackdawjen
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I found Mr. Jan's by accident, just wandering around Pai after arriving in the minivan. I'm glad I went there because the room I got was simple yet very confortable and sweet, with all the facilities I could possibly want for 4 dollars. I also had nice neighbours ready to engage in some nice conversation, and the staff there was always very friendly. I recommend it to everyone who goes to Pai - it may not be on the side of the river but it's very cool and the price is really excelent.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Gustavo S
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Looking for a splendid guest house, that is clean, close to all, that is amidst great solid trees and a herbal garden? Which is really reasonable in pricing, tactful and helpful in management and still quiet, base for a good, undisturbed reading spree, grounds for quiet meditation or peaceful contemplation? This is it in Pai. While lots of guesthouses luring the crowds, offering this and that, running barely half or even less filled houses, this advertises nothing, still, almost always full. The atmosphere, folks, that certain hard to define, hard to create quality that is either there or not. It is most definitely a given here, a splendid one at that. 200 bahts for a room with fan /u do not need aircon in Pai/ a TV that actually works, hot shower, wifi, good bed, nice terrace, privacy. For folks with sub-mid range expectations, no luxury here, clean, basic amenities, no bad odours.

Room Tip: Try to book ahead, seems to be rather busy
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I chose to stay at Mr Jan's after reading about it on TripAdvisor and in Lonely Planet - though if I'd believed the latter it probably wouldn't have been my first choice. Think they need to sack the current fact checker and hire a new one - for the record I am currently available ;-) Seriously LP most of the prices quoted in the most recent Thailand book are off-the-charts incorrect!
Anyroad, I digress.
Mr Jan's is a family run accommodation set in a beautiful medicine garden. It's about 2 mins walk from the walking streets although when you're tucked up in bed you'd never know. I fell asleep each night to the relaxing sounds of frogs & crickets.
My bungalow was pretty basic. I had a double bed and en-suite bathroom (toilet is self flush for those who need to be aware of that sort of thing) with hot shower and a fan. Not that you need a fan in Pai - gets quite chilly at night so the 2 duvets and light blanket provided were very useful!
The room and linen were clean, though the room & bathroom could do with a 'refresh'.
All bungalows come with a porch and 2 chairs. There are different standards of bungalow - would seem some even have TV.
I paid 150BHT per night as I was on my own. Would have been 200BHT for 2 people. Bargin!
Family who own/run the place very friendly and helpful.
There's a place to park your scooter (if you hire one - worth doing, try Aya) and they have wi-fi too.
Good to see that a place mentioned in Lonely Planet isn't trading on its entry.
Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the garden if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo