“If you are looking for a happy, social place to chill then look no further”
Review of Common Grounds Pai

Common Grounds Pai
Ranked #6 of 178 Specialty Lodging in Pai
Sydney, Australia
“If you are looking for a happy, social place to chill then look no further”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I stumbled across Common Ground by chance when I arrived in Pai the first time. I stayed 1 night then immediately changed my plans to return a few days later to give it a proper chance as I knew I had found somewhere special. After having visited most countries in South East Asia over a period of a year I have seen many hostels and this one is top of my list. I ended up staying here 3 times for a total of about 6 weeks and found it very difficult to leave. The common area is relaxed and promotes socialising which as a solo traveller is really important to me. Pai is such a fantastic place and has such a happy vibe about it and Common Grounds really captured that for me. The owners and staff are really friendly and as someone who stayed a long time you can’t help but get to know everyone. The rooms are nice and most have air conditioning and even when staying in the ones without I found I was quite happy at night with just a fan, even in the hotter season. It is quite a rural setting so don’t expect 5 star luxury but then this is the north of Thailand not Australia or any other developed country. Great value and great location right in the middle of town. If you want a comfortable and friendly place to chill between day/night time activities then this is the place for you!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Chris N

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Everyone who goes to Pai always seem to extend their trip by one or two nights, its that sort of place- the main reason for us to do that was the great staff and guests at Common Grounds. The perfect location - having arrived off the minibus of curves you can stagger two hundred meters and you have arrived at a really chilled out, fun hostel that always has someone to chat to, a few hammocks and some great music. I loved it so much i am on my way back three weeks later!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Elen M
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a few nights in a private room and loved it. The common area is always full of people happy to talk and have a laugh.
Even got free food one night which is always a bonus!

Location is brilliant being right in the centre of the Walking Street but down a small side street so it's nice and quiet :)

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Connor H
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

I has heard such great things about Pai and this hostel had such great reviews it was my only choice.
Very disappointed when I arrived, I stayed in a 4 bed ac dorm, the toilet was broken when I got there and they were trying to fix it but at the same time they were walking in mud and grit all over the floor. This was not cleaned up the whole time I was there, only 2 nights because I didn't enjoy it at all.
The owners seemed nice but weren't very forthcoming with any information about what to do around Pai, didn't tell me I could rent a towel, didn't give me any information at all when I checked in.
Really good location just off the walking street but there are plenty of other hostels around the same area. Was quite expensive for what you get, which isn't much. No breakfast included. Very uncomfortable bed. Would not recommend.

• Stayed June 2014
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

I loved this place. I stayed in an AC dorm room for four people. Stayed here for two weeks. Chilled environment. Excellent WiFi. Great prices. Accommodating and friendly staff. And to top it off, probably the best pool table in Thailand.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We were planning to stay in pai for 2 or 3 days, but once we got to common grounds, we knew this was going to change. The staff were fantastic and the rooms were clean, modern, and the showers were great! The atmosphere was perfect, and the hostel always managed to get the right balance between going out and chilling out! Thank you common grounds!

1 Thank Ellie L
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 4, 2014

we only planned on staying a night or so in Pai but we ended up extended our trip because the people and atmosphere was beyond superb! there are plenty of great guesthouses and hostels all around Pai but Common Grounds is right off walking street which is where everything happens! the only downside is that if you plan on walking up early bring earplugs or headphones; with the curfew people come back early and continue to party which can get a little rowdy and loud in the far back dorms.

Room Tip: if you want a good night sleep and an early sleep early rise then try to avoid the back dorm, it bec...