“sense of inner pice”

Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses
Ranked #5 of 42 things to do in Pai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: 5 minutes from Pai, we are a Kung Fu training centre with first-class facilities, a peaceful jungle location and great mountain views. Learn Kung Fu, Chi Kung, self-defense and meditation from two-time World Champion Iain Armstrong and his team of friendly instructors. We also grow and serve fresh organic food and provide comfortable accommodation. Whether you're an experienced martial artist or a beginner, a stay with us will boost your confidence, fitness, mental clarity and general well-being. If you have ever dreamed of learning the ancient art of kung fu amongst remote, forested mountains in the wilds of Asia, this is your chance! What is your kung fu dream? What is stopping you?
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Nestled in one of the most beautiful placse on Mother Earth. tis a truly located in one of the most beautiful settings in pai. Private and secluded yet accessible to everything we found the experience to be one that she could easily and without hesitation recommend many others..

2  Thank jamesjj436

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I spent 10 days here recently and would highly recommend it to anyone with even a remote interest in taking responsibility for their own health. Kung Fu is an incredibly diverse art, and as such there is something of benefit for a huge range of interests, and levels. From self defence to meditation, there is an entire system to tap into, and a fascinating crossover of disciplines and practises. All of which are beneficial to health, and all set in an authentic location with tons of fresh air and stunning views.

I have studied the art for a few years and I left with a deeper understanding of the fundamentals and picked up some new things to practise aswell. The schedule allows for plenty of time during the day to relax / recuperate between training sessions or explore; yet it's gruelling enough to be a challenge you'll feel proud of having had a go at.

Food is prepared on-site, much of it having been grown in the grounds and all rooms have the facilities you need to rest and shower. It is also a unique opportunity to learn from an internationally respected practitioner of the art too - something that is in my opinion is invaluable. With over 30 years of dedicated practise, Iain can offer a vast wealth of knowledge and inspiration.

If you want to try something new that can stay with you for long after you leave, give it a try!

2  Thank DaveBaum
Reviewed July 19, 2013

As you might imagine, the majority; if not all of whom come to a place in their life, where of the realization for the outer material world, that which will never hold enough of that which gives us a sustained sense of inner peace, may, despite the seemingly mountainous weight held by your own thoughts, decide that enough is enough... I can't continue to live the way I do... There Must be a better more harmonious way to experience the joy of being human...

Of course there is.... But you'll never find it through your mind... One can only begin, by placing all of the focus into the body's feeling of what is happening now, in the present moment..

And from there the change may unfold.

Nam Yang held a peaceful and open environment with a relaxed approach for guidance through a solid form of complete daily practice.

A rare opportunity, open to those of us who seek to strengthen our relationship to that which can never be captured in words.

May you find this place within your own self

Safe journeys..

3  Thank Kevin J
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Coming from a Taekwondo background and a huge interest in fighting as a career I was excited yet quite nervous about training in kung fu at the nam yang retreat. I was worried I would struggle and be misunderstood of wanted to get out of my experience. My time at nam yang has been the opposite and I have developed as a martial artist as well as a person! Through lost of stretching and Kung fu routenes such as sam chien, pad work and strength training I have not only developed in my Taekwondo skills but I am starting my journey as a Kung fu practitioner. The meditation and Qi Gong have helped give me gain a sense of peace and clarity and at the age of 19 I am such a happy person and content with life. Overall if you. It only want to train and develop as a martial artist and as a person even if you do not train in Kung fu or have never meditated do not hesitate to train at the nam yang Kung fu retreat!

2  Thank Rupert338
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Trip advisor

I was looking for a more spiritual side to martial arts after studying Kenpo in England, and chose this retreat over the many offered in China and although it wasn't as I expected in terms of physicality, it was just as good if not better than I could have imagined. I visited for 1 month in June 2013 and wanted another when leaving after finally getting to grips with it all. The training is of a high standard and Master Iain Armstrong has a serenity and calmness that rubs off. I was lucky enough to have Grand Master Tan Soh Tin there while I trained, and gain from his many years in practice. All the teachers here speak perfect english which has it's obvious benefits.
There are lots of routines, getting a proper grip of the basics and form of Kung Fu. I benefited massively from proper stretching, mediation and Chi work everyday. It wasn't as physical as I imagined or as much cardio work but you have enough time to push yourself in that way and a gym there to use if you so wish. I feel the training was perfect for me as I didn't get injured once and didn't feel over exerted too much, and there was of enough variety so not to get bored, as if you ever would!
The grounds of the retreat are beautiful as are the views and sunrises. The accommodation is what I would call authentic to the art in a good way, I enjoyed my stay and the food is excellent, mostly all homegrown rice, veg and fruit with meat or without, and plenty to go around, something I have really missed since leaving! Pai is a beautiful town with enough to keep you busy when not training.
Only problem I can see is keeping up the lifestyle it teaches when back in the real world, I have taken a lot from my month here and would recommend to anyone wanting to learn about the ancient art of Shaolin Kung Fu and how, what it encompasses, can improve your life.

3  Thank Lukeharmony