“Delicious!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bangkok
“Delicious!”
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Baan Benjarong is an unpolished gem. The food is Thai and are excellent! Being Thais we found the food both delicious and very well prepared - lovingly cooked in a way that is very hard to find in Thailand.

The owner has a warning sign in That that patrons who are in a hurry will not be served so when you dine here expect a pace that the owner set or feel like. He, the owner, used to be the Maitre D' at the top restaurant of the old Siam Intercontinental and has set high standards for the food served in his restaurant. I have heard that sometime when the owner does not feel like it he would not open the restaurant!

Adorning the walls of the restaurant are opened bottles of very fine wines used as decoration amongst the stained glasses. I asked the owner if the opened bottles were from guests dining at Benjarong and he replied with a smile saying that they were his from his own consumption!

Through the windows is a fantastic view of the paddy fields and hills. The cool breeze that flows into the restaurant is heavenly. Decor are quirky memorabilia from the 60s and 70s and the music played are often Thai songs from those era as well.

Highly recommended but do not go there with an attitude and instead go there to relax and enjoy the fantastic hard to find food.

• Visited January 2012
3 Thank Pooky_TH

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Easton
“Good food, little atmosphere”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Thai food was not our favorite, but we did have a good meal here. The host is apparently well known in the food world, but he is quite reserved and there's not much in the way of decor. I say, stick with the Witching Well.

Visited October 2011
KL
“Owner in the wrong business”
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I'm not sure if I can recall ever having such unfriendly service in any restaurant anywhere on the planet. This most disagreeable gentleman should change jobs or work behind the scenes. He has no business, talent or seeming inclination for dealing with the public.

On the plus side the food was fantastic (though the portions were very small and relatively, by Thai standards, expensive).

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank SooKeeFoo
“Left with bad taste in mouth”
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I first ate here in 2003 and have returned each time I've been back to pai-introducing many friends from back home to the great food. However, I will never return to eat here. On my last visit (with a friend from London and my girlfriend) we were subjected to quite unbelievable treatment by the miserable owner/who also works as the waiter (I imagine any staff he may have employed didn't stay long and who could blame them?, or he is too miserly to employ staff he so desperately needs) WE arrived and the restaurant was as busy as I've ever seen it. 'If you want fast good go elsewhere!' This is how we were welcomed. When we said we were happy to patiently wait, though obviously stunned by his attitude to customers, he angriliy repeated his earlier suggestion. We duly left with nothing but a bad taste in our mouths and we hadn't even sampled the food. I've never encountered such bad customer service in my 7yrs living in Thailand. Avoid.

2 Thank Wqm
Ocean City, Maryland
“Owner couldn't care less if you eat here”
Reviewed January 28, 2011

I live in Pai and decided to try it again after one time going and food was good , a little overpriced ( don't mind paying more for good food ) but service is awful as the owner himself is the waiter and could care less whether he has business or not . Last night ( A friday night in season ) we got there at 7:30 ( prime dinner hour right ? ) and ordered a beer while waiting for a friend . Our friend came 6 minutes later but the owner/waiter told us he was closing without a smile or sorry or something has come up , nothing . CLOSING AT 7:30 ON A FRIDAY FOR DINNER ? Oh well never again . We paid for our beers 185 baht for a Singha and Leo and left . Go to Charlie and Leks where the owner waits on you with patience AND a smile . Good food , better prices hands down

• Visited January 2011