“Navy Home Hotel, no English when (40% economy) tourism here? Reset the wireless?”
Review of Navy Home Hotel

Navy Home Hotel
Ranked #5 of 26 Mae Sai B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 5, 2013

November 4th 2013 Mae Sai
Navy Home Hotel for 600 baht. I was directed to the bikes across the street, did not see any, figured the young lady thought I meant a scooters until I communicated with her later, really did not know what she was thinking as she called her boss. Her boss told me to try the next day after I walked everywhere. The room was clean, floors highly buffed. I wondered I might have been the only guest in this very large hotel. My Internet was connected but no Internet access. The night clerk watched me use the password properly. The clerk went with his family and left me alone at the front with no Internet after I asked him to reset his wireless devise as was needed. More than ten minutes passed so I went to the room. Next day it was the the Pavillion Hotel for 1200 baht to chill. It would be nice for one to speak English and know about resetting the Internet device.
The next day I went down to the lobby and the young lady laughed when I told her the hotel needs to reset the wireless Internet service. She smiled and laughed again. As with most of Thailand at present, the 40% of tourism does not lead to the increase of people speaking English and only now are students beginning English and Chinese. Lonely Planet 1998, there were a great 12 public and five private universities in Thailand which might be close to the amount you find in larger cities in an other country. (My computer worked well at the Pavillion Hotel with password.)
The sunrises are wonderful in the a.m. at the back of the hotel, streets are fun to walk around and you see lots of local things like, restaurants, chickens, buildings, water and other.
My attempt to forward a letter to the manager prior to online opinion resulted in the clerk thinking that I wrote it for her as she did not read English? I took the letter back or who knows? My correspondence in hacked Thai. The Navy Home Hotel web site was not in English, I saw no point of contact, so I now leave the letter with the desire that it reach the manager for the benefit of all. I would stay at this hotel again if I did not need WiFi and I had no want of Eng. speaking.

“Sir, The hotel was fine except for staff not speaking English or communicating well, and no WiFi. I put the proper code in with the clerk last night and then he left me in the lobby by myself and went out with his family upon his wife’s arrival. The wireless device needs to be reset as is often the case with hotels. The day lady just laughed at me or the situation repeatedly as she did not understand things well. The swine are fine but no proper directions to a bicycle, no WiFi & no English speaking staff; bye.”

(I did not hear the hotel use the derogatory, unlearned, ignorant term “Farang” (refers to guava fruit if present). Some young female at the market called me a Farang and I pleasantly responded with “HI”. People in Thailand have no idea what the term means as I have repeatedly inquired and also found the meaning online. It is not a professional term. Thailand people that I have met use the term “Farang” as the same same but opposite of the word “Nikor nagger”. The Thai people that I met had no problem considering themselves naggers and I realized that the States respectfully put away such inappropriate words as respect and education increased as ignorance decreased. There is an abattoir behind the hotel if you care to look.
The markets near the border crossing appear on the street-side and go many blocks back from the street with most everything you will need or want. I was under the border crossing and could go up or down the stairs if I liked. This Miramar border crossing charges 500 baht and the Laos border crossings cost 1500 baht. Mukdahan is supposed to be the best border crossing for you specified visa. Mukdahan has the Ploy Palace Hotel where I found the Fire Exits blocked; Tripadvisor posted my the opinion but not the eight PICs showing the exits blocked.
A friend of mine tells me to leave for Spain now. Thailand is like a time warp from forty or fifty years ago. There are the occasional derogatory statements, people appear to be simple and the education of many is not what I am used to interacting. It’s been two months here and I am going to settle to read my books until that next month is over. I am learning Thai and do not wish to be a burden on some of the Thai people that do not understand this foreigner that speaks English.)

4 พฤศจิกายน 2013 ในฤดูใบไม้ร่วง
กองทัพเรือ แรก 600 บาท จักรยาน ข้ามถนน ไม่มี หญิงสาว คิดว่าฉัน หมายถึง สกูตเตอร์ ผม สื่อสาร ของเธอ ต่อมา รู้ว่าเธอ ไม่ คิดว่า เจ้านาย บอกผมว่า วันถัดไป ลอง ฉันเดิน ทั้งหมด Clean room, เงา พื้น ผม ผู้เข้าพักที่ โรงแรมแห่งเดียว อินเทอร์เน็ต ไม่มี เรียกคืน รหัสผ่าน เสมียน ที่เหมาะสม เห็น ครอบครัวของ เขา ไป แผนกต้อนรับ อินเทอร์เน็ต ไม่มี ขอให้ ตั้งค่า ไร้สาย รอ สิบนาที ผม ไป ห้องพัก (ฉัน ไปที่โรงแรม พาวิลเลียน 1,200 บาท . วัน ถัดไป . พูด ภาษาอังกฤษ , Internet กัน .) ฉัน เดินไปที่ ล็อบบี้ เสมียน เลดี้ หัวเราะ เธอ ไม่มีเงื่อนงำ ไร้สาย เธอ หัวเราะ การท่องเที่ยวของประเทศไทย 40% , นักเรียนไม่มี ภาษาอังกฤษ เริ่ม อังกฤษ, จีน ดาวเคราะห์ 1998 เหงา 12 รัฐและ ห้า มหาวิทยาลัย ไทย เมือง ขนาดใหญ่มี มากขึ้น ( คอมพิวเตอร์ของฉัน ทำงานได้ดี Pavilion Hotel รหัสผ่าน . )
ลอง ส่งจดหมาย ถึงประธานาธิบดี ออนไลน์ เสมียน คิดว่าฉัน เขียน เธอ เธอ ไม่ อ่าน ภาษาอังกฤษได้ไหม ผม เขียนจดหมายถึง ประเทศไทย ภาษาอังกฤษง่ายๆ , เว็บไซต์ ไม่มีการติดต่อ โรงแรม ไม่จำเป็นต้องมี WiFi , อังกฤษ ไม่มี ลาก่อน

" เซอร์ พนักงาน โรงแรม ไม่ได้ พูดภาษาอังกฤษได้ หรือ สื่อสาร ไร้สาย ไม่ ใช้รหัส ที่เหมาะสมในการ เสมียน กลางคืนเขาก็จะ ทิ้งฉัน ล็อบบี้ ด้วยตนเอง กับภรรยา ของครอบครัว. ไร้สาย ต้องการ ตั้งค่า วัน . เธอ ไม่ เข้าใจสถานการณ์ . สุกร ที่ดี ไม่มี จักรยาน ไม่มี WiFi , ไม่มี พนักงาน ที่พูดภาษาอังกฤษ ; ลาก่อน "

( ผมได้ยิน โรงแรม ใช้คำพูด ดูถูก โง่ โง่ " คนผิวขาว " (หมายถึงปัจจุบัน ตะวันตก ) . ที่เรียกว่า หญิงสาว ผิวขาว ผมบอกว่า " ฮาวาย " . คำ ไทย ที่ หมายถึง ความคิดที่ว่า ออนไลน์ mean.I ถาม .ไม่ .คำ ไทย มืออาชีพ " ฝรั่ง " เดียวกัน เหมือนกัน แต่ ตรงข้าม , " Nikor ( นิโกร ) " . ' s ปัญหา ไทย นิโกร ตัวเอง . States เคารพใน แง่ของ การเพิ่มขึ้นของ การศึกษาที่ ลดลง มัน . โรงฆ่าสัตว์ หลัง โรงแรมที่คุณ จะดู
ตลาด ข้ามพรมแดน ไปยังถนน หลาย บล็อก ทุกอย่างที่ พวกเขา ต้องการหรือจำเป็นต้อง ข้ามพรมแดน ภายใต้ค่าใช้จ่าย Miramar 500 บาท, ลาว วีซ่า ค่าใช้จ่าย ที่ดีที่สุด 1500 ชายแดน มุกดาหาร มุกดาหาร โรงแรมพลอย พาเลซ , บล็อกไป;แปด PICs จากบล็อก
เพื่อน บอกว่า ไปสเปน ประเทศไทย วิปริต สี่สิบ หรือ ห้าสิบ ปีที่ผ่านมา บางครั้งก็ เป็นอันตรายกับ การศึกษา สองเดือน ที่ ฉันได้อ่าน หนังสือเล่มนี้ ในเดือนถัดไป มากกว่า การเรียนภาษาอังกฤษ ในประเทศไทย ไม่ได้ ต้องการคนที่จะ เป็นภาระ ไทย ชาวต่างชาติ ไม่เข้าใจ ที่ พูด ภาษาอังกฤษ )

Room Tip: Make sure WiFi reset and or working prior to stay. Walk, border is close as are markets. Back hotel...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 10, 2013

For a budget hotel this is a real find. We stayed two nights and were on the second floor. Very comfortable, clean room with all the amenities we needed. Bigger than usual room, big bathroom, frig, TV, air con. Quiet, we did not get any traffic noise. Decorated on a ship theme, lots of interesting memorabilia. Staff were very helpful even though they did not speak a lot of English. Walk to the border is easy and interesting.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This place is OK for the price 700 Thai Bahts. But so close to the street make it noisy, didn't care for breakfast. And rooms are so close you can hear TV. next door. Good thing is the rooms are clean.

Room Tip: Try to choose the room in back.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Walking distance from the border. Staff was very nice. All of them don´t speak english, but they can call for person who can speak english. Everyday room cleaning if you want. Traffic noise from the street if window is open. TV, fridge, Hot shower, AC.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sike S
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My title says it all. This is one of the better places I have stayed at and it is all because of the staff. The hotel itself is spotless and the rooms large and comfortable. That in itself is reason to stay here but what makes it stand out above the rest is the assistant manager who goes way beyond what is typical for a business..any business. I would not hesitate to recommend others to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank DeeTurn
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Built and owned by a retired Vice Admiral in the Thai Navy, Navy Home is a great place for family or travelers. The hotel is loaded with memorabilia from the Admiral's career and it is highly likely he will be on deck and ask you to share a Singha with him and tell you a few sea stories.

About 2 km from the border the hotel is new, very, very clean and well run. The staff doesn't speak much English but enough you can easily get along. Breakfast is included and it is fresh and good. Rooms are smallish but well done. WiFi is free. Prices are very reasonable.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify bed type. Like many Thai small hotels many rooms have only twins. Ask for a lower...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Vic R
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Mae Sai, Thailand's most northerly town, full of markets but few bars, is a gateway to Myanmar. I was surprised at how few "farangs" were there.... I had taken the "Green Minibus" from Chiang Rai's central Bus Station 60kms for 46Bt!, then the "Red Bus" into Mae Sai for 18Bt.
Navy Home Hotel does deserve it's Agoda rating of 8.1 ((out of 10)), its photos and information were accurate. When I arrived I showed my passport, fumbled for my Agoda Booking -but the helpful guy said it was ok, they gave me a "grand room", wow- for about 800Bt a night how could I get a room like this! I must show him my Agoda Booking when I inquire about the free WiFi, just in case, to avoid embarrassment when I had to leave -there were other smaller rooms.
On my first night there I didn't see any other guests, and on my 2nd and final night I only saw 5/6 Thai. WiFi whilst free was only really useful close to the lobby. Breakfast was prompt but not quite enough to refuel me for an early start.
When I checked-out I asked if they could order me a taxi to the Bus Station, and they said they would drive me for free!!! ...I did give a tip which they were shy to take!
If you don't fancy the 0.6km stroll to the boarder, then a motorcycle taxi is only 20Bt.
Don't forget to visit -Wat Phra That Doi Wao, located on a hill by the bank of Mae Sai River, with great views into Mae Sai city and Tha Kee Lek (Myanmar,the mountains)... try to get there before 7am just to watch the sunrise and mountain mists!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo