“Learn to sail”

Island Cruises Sailing
Ranked #58 of 102 Tours in Koh Tao
More attraction details
Owner description: Go Sailing! Day Cruises, Yacht Charters and Join In Cruises to Ang Thong National Park, Dinghy Sailing, Rental and Courses, Hobie Catamaran, Laser... get wet and thrilled without freezing your butt off.
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Sascha runs a 5-day sailing course for sailors of all levels. His standard course is taught on the 40-ft "Ocean Hiker" in Hin Wong Bay and covers all topics related to crewing serious sailing vessels, e.g., setting out, navigation, wind mechanics, knots, map reading, etc. He will also tailor a course if you're merely interested in recreational sailing on skiffs and the like, which he'll do on a modest catboat off Sairee. My advice is to decide what you want to get out of the course, and tell Sascha. He's very accommodating and patient, not to mention an interesting fellow with extraordinary maritime and life experience.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We did the 4 day sailing trip and enjoyed it very much. We had a nice alternation between sailing, relaxing and special activities like snorkeling between thousands of colourful fish, visiting deserted beaches or hiking upstream on a river.

Both Alf and Joy were perfect company, and tried to fulfil all our wishes. Especially the cooking of Joy needs mentioning. Each day she prepared the most delicious diners. She also managed to take all our culinary preferences in to account.

We were pleasantly surprised by the boat. Even though it is a bit older it is kept in reasonable condition and we really loved the size of the cabin. Compared to the sizes of the cabins on our previous sailing trips the cabin was really spacious.

The snorkeling was very fun. There are so many beautiful fish to see in Koh Tao. We really loved the guided tour Alf gave us. He pointed out many marvels of the under water world. Another time he fed the fish whilst we were snorkeling such that we were swimming between all the fish and could see the fish from very close.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We spent 4 days sailing the Ang Thong maritime park with Island Cruises and it was pure bliss. Here are some highlights:
- Having a private boat to go around the park freely and visit some off the beaten track places.
- Alf and Joy, who were perfect hosts and did everything to make us happy. (And also tolerated my bad steering of the boat :)).
- The cooking by Joy...from complete breakfasts filled with fruits, cereals, yoghurts, etc. to freshly captured squid for dinner...everything was just yummy!
- Swimming at night with bioluminescence...with some great music playing in the background.
- Being on a dinghy and finding 3 little sharks 50cm. away from us. :)
- Tons of great snorkelling...with different species from those we had seen in Koh Tao.
- Spending a morning on a desert beach with a total feeling of paradise...priceless.

All in all, we highly recommend this trip to anyone considering it. It was totally different from anything we did in Thailand and totally worth it!

3  Thank Xicofb
Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband and I were given a sunset cruise with Koh Tao Island Cruises by our two adult sons when we were all on holiday recently. What a beautiful experience. Alf and Joy were perfect hosts and the sailing was very special. Alf was very happy to share his extensive sailing experiences with us, and was very informative about life on Koh Tao as well. Thank you for a wonderful Koh Tao experience.

1  Thank Sheila P
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was lucky enough to have my first experience of Island Cruises when a group of my friends treated me for my Birthday, and what a treat it was.From the transfer at the beach to the return 6 hours later the service was warm, friendly and very professional.

There were 10 of our party on the boat and there was ample room to relax above and below deck, there was even space to find relative privacy when the dancing all became too much and I needed to sit down for a few minutes :)

Warmist thanks go to both Alf and Joy and I'm sure our group will be seeing them again.

3  Thank Darren W