“Room ok, great atmosphere ”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

For a 3* hotel the room with airco was so so. It was clean. But it really needs some maintains. The toilet wasn't working well and the shower was ready for a replacement. The resort itself is great. Perfect spot with the beach across the resort. Lost of farang who are there for diving. Garden and pool are maintained much better than the room. Cosy and great place to hang out. Just only use the room to sleep and shower and you have a great time here....

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed in the hilltop apartment, lovely and clean with a great view.

Right if you don't like walking or a hike up steps don't bother staying here, for us this wasn't a problem.

Location was great, within a stroll of several nice chilled out bars, service was great, picked us up form the pier. The breakfast was nice

The pool does sometimes get taken over by the diving courses but theres always the beach which isn't far at all, the pool by the appartments is nice just not enough sun bed to be honest

Overall great stay and would stay again here if I was visiting koh tao again

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Went for the room with no fan or aircon what a mistake. The rooms are rubbish but thought the diving was really good. Did the discover scuba diving and would recommend it. They have a beginner test pool so you can have a go before getting out in the sea.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

I have heard nothing but great things about their dive program (I didn't have time to join in) If that is the case take the cheapest rooms right near the beach no frills not worth extra money for upgrades. Staff was extremely rude in office. The hike to get to your "upgraded" room is discouraging. They gave us an additional "upgrade" when we got there to two suites neighboring. This meant our rooms were miles up a hill which staff will not drive you to unless it's check in. So far that they know the wifi doesn't work that far (we picked this hotel and upgrades with WIFI access which we did not have) they told me multiple times for 2 of our 3 days it would be fixed... Until one rude desk staff said they know wifi doesn't reach those rooms. Also complained about no hot water in our shower and no one seemed to care. Disappointing might as well just got a basic room for way less money close and with wifi like advertised.

Pools are basic dive pools... Very dirty, lots of big dead bugs and hair! Nowhere really to sit and enjoy the sun beside them. Nothing near or on the water resort wise like the neighboring resorts had. And no beach towels.

Breakfast was good at the hilltop restaurant with a great view. Food was also good at the restaurant right on the water beside fishbowl bar. Fishbowl and neighboring bars are good and always lively! Will do delivery to rooms which if you get stuck with our "upgrades" you may just need.

I would only go back here to dive. And probably stay somewhere else close by.

1  Thank Stephanie R
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Ban's for 5 nights, 4 nights included with our diving tuition and an extra night as it was all so well equipped!

We learned to dive with Fai and DM in training Paul. Super friendly, knowledgeable and made the whole diving and leaning to dive experience fun and exciting. Also enjoyed a boozy night with them at Fishbowl (just infront of Ban's on the beachfront) after we became certified.

As a couple we got upgraded to an A/C room included in the price of our PADI open water course, room was clean and relatively spacious and a lady made the bed and emptied the bins daily. Free wifi too which reaches even the pool view rooms.

Everything you need (travel agent, supermarket, restaurant and bar) on your doorstep and the staff in the office are super helpful.

Definately learn to dive and stay with Ban's in Ko Tao.

1  Thank Lili S
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Im an active PADI instructor and absolutely loved the diving in Ko Tao, I could dive Chompon pinnacle every day for the rest of my life. All the staff at bans were very professional and I have even picked up on 1 or 2 instruction tips ill take back to work with me. The only problem is that there is no heart and soul to the place. I dived with Bans for 3 days and never saw the same member of staff twice. This is truly a scuba factory pumping out new divers daily. I would happily dive with Bans again if there were no alternatives, but since there are so many operators here next time I go to Ko Tao I will be going with one of the smaller shops.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2014

To be fair, the best way to review this place is to break it into three areas, The hotel, the diving and the scene.
The hotel : I booked two different rooms while I was there. 1 was a garden view "suite" and one was a deluxe room. The suite was very nice and roomy enough for my and my friend who travelled with me. It was clean, and the bathroom was very nice by Thai hotel standards. The AC was awesome. The downside to this room was the noise from the bar until after 2am every night. If you have an early morning dive, this can be very distracting as you try to go to sleep. The wifi service is also not as good as I have experienced elsewhere as you have to re-log in constantly and it does go out quite often. The reception team was very nice for the most part and worked with us as we negotiated better rates due to the amount of diving we were doing and the length of our 10 day stay. They worked to help us whenever we asked for something.

The deluxe room was mine alone for one night. While still ok, it was a big step down from the suite and showed signs of wear and tear such as a very leaky and cracked sink and a dirtier more simplistic shower set up. for one night it was fine and while the staff worked with me on the cost of the room, it was still very over priced compared to other properties on Sairee Beach.

The diving : This is the reason you go to Bans. This is the number one dive center in the world and after a couple of days there, you know why. The instruction was superb. I took my Advanced Open Water and Nitrox certifications with Marcel and my friend did his Open Water cert with Yanis (I think that was his name). We both had a great time with our groups and ended up hanging with them and our instructors at night and for days after the courses concluded. This place genuinely makes the certification process a party and you can hear the applause and cheers every time a class finishes their course. It is a constant occurrence and you just want to be a part of it. There are several dive sites and some are obviously better than others but they run their dive operation like a well oiled machine. The boats are simple and relatively no frills but you aren't there for the boats. The Dive Masters love what they are doing and usually work to show you the best time under water that they can keeping safety in mind at all times. I was genuinely very impressed.

The Scene: If you are 18-30, this is the center of the world. If you are not into a raucous party every night with loud music, lots of smiling people and drinks being poured well into the early morning, then get a room higher up the hill and just go diving. If this is your scene, enjoy and go make friends. You will almost always see someone you know or want to get to know better.

The only real reason that Bans doesn't get a perfect score from me is that they really are one of the more expensive options on the beach for accommodations and while the menu at their restaurant is varied and quite large, the food is simply just ok. There are much better options if you are willing to find them but you can also eat every meal there and be ok too.

Room Tip: The closer the room is to the beach, the louder it will be. Also do yourself a favor and get a room...