“Caters to Divers”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed here on our first night to the island. The rooms were beautiful and had nice decks. The grounds are very nice and well maintained. The two pools were being used for diver training so it was not meant to be for your average Joe to sit around and swim. The ocean beach is across the little walk/road. There is no private beach as such and no lounge chairs, umbrellas or shade. On the bright side there are a lot of restaurants and shopping around. Staff was ok. This is a very hilly resort, so use your own judgement.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Ban's Diving Resort is a fantastic place to learn to dive. I booked the diving course before I got there and got the accommodation for free. The rooms are small but clean and are only a short distance from the beach and learner pools.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Niamh M
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Ban's is reasonably good at churning through an enormous amount of diving students very quickly. The emphasis is on cheap PADI with backpacker bar fun, so if you're 20, it's gold. You can start any day in any language and the classes are taught well, but there's no hiding that you are one of thousands each year. The beginners pools are revolting with virtually no visibility. The equipment is safe but a little dodgy-looking at times. We went out on 4 dives with roughly 30-40 other dive students on our boat, which had a definitive rush-hour feel. When I saw all the human fins and the hung-over students I hoped the sea life had made an escape to a more private shelter, which I guess was the case at the shallower sites we visited.

The teachers are lovely though (Taina is fantastic!) and added a personal touch to the dive machine resort. The rooms are low-end backpacker. Mine was one of few that didn't have a toilet, and the communal one never once had toilet paper but was reasonably clean. Bring ear plugs, where my room was situated I may as well have slept in the karaoke.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank TinaWa019
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Ban's diving resort was fantastic in every way. The main/older part of the resort is just OK by my standards, but the new addition to it (up on the hill overlooking the beach) is outstanding. It's all new, beautiful rooms with hard wood floors, great balconies overlooking the sea, living rooms and bedroom/bath. The price was under $100 and well worth it. In fact, it exceeded all of my expectations.

Not only that, but the staff was really friendly too. Khun Wan is the owner/manager at reception. She rocks. Also the Thai girl who runs the dive shop. I'm forgetting her name but she was super helpful and super friendly. If I was going back to Koh Tao (and I definitely will), I would stay there again 100%. So should you. I booked through Agoda and selected the Hill Top Sea View room.

Room Tip: Hill Top Sea View is all you need.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Ban's of course first and foremost is a resort for people who will participate in the resort's diving courses. It is very obvious when arriving to the hotel. The general atmosphere is the one from a hostel rather than a hotel. We stayed in a "Garden View Suite", which was a relatively spacious room with a large bathroom and a nice balcony. The beds were comfortable, but the WiFi did not work well in the room. The hotel is located just right by the beach and has a restaurant with sea view which has OK food for a reasonably low price. I can however recommend to walk along the small street towards the northern part of Sairee beach where there are a lot of nice restaurants and bars on the beach.

Within the hotel complex there is a very popular bar, the Fishbowl. There is live music until 2am so do not expect any sleep before that time. The two pools are not possible to use for swimming since they are occupied by diving classes most of the time. The breakfast served in the Darawan was the poorest I have encountered during my four trips to Thailand. Skip it and go for breakfast somewhere else.

One of the mornings we discovered that we had shared our bedroom with a big spider... I guess this just means that the hotel is not using a lot of pesticides.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Swede1979
Reviewed February 22, 2014

This rating is solely for the team that put us through our Open Water Course and also Advanced water course.
We had Hannah and Baz for instructors and I cant say enough how awesome these guys were. So good that I changed my travel plans and completed my advanced open water course which took a further 2 days.
Hannah and Baz made the course so simple, fun and exhilarating! Thanks guys, hopefully ill return to complete some more courses soon!!

Yes Bans is a very busy environment but you cant expect to go to one of the biggest dive schools in the world without seeing a few people. My room was a bit budget and didnt get serviced for the 6 days i was there but for the price this was expected.

Room Tip: IF you can afford it, upgrade your room when booking.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Where to do your IDC?

I have staffed February 2014 IDC with Natalie Hunt and Guillaume Fargues and all I can say is that it is and IDC like none other.

Although we came from all around the world and we came together for the one reason. Our passion for diving.

This IDC has been truly amazing we have shared laughter; we have cheered and clapped for each other and we have given each other love, compassion and support. I’m sure we have made friends for life.

Teaching diving is not only about knowledge which Natalie and Guillaume have in abundances. It is also about bringing out the best in people. It is about supporting the individual and getting that person on to the next level in a positive and loving manner.

IDC at Ban’s Diving Resort is an experiences like one other.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo