“Third time, great location a little noisy though this time!”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
London, United Kingdom
“Third time, great location a little noisy though this time!”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

This is my third time in Kho Tao and we always stay here. This was my first time in a pool hotel room, which whilst a great location in the heart of town is a bit too near the nightclub that stays open 3-4am so very noisy! Would recommend asking for a room in the top pice of hotel that is a recent new addition if you are not hear to party hard!

As for diving, that's really why you are staying at this island and this place is the best. I am advanced but did a refresher here after some bad diving experiences and the morning course in the swimming pool was brilliant and well done.

Alas the diving this dec has not been great, poor visibility and not not much to see, but now is not the greatest time to dive here! Still lots of fun though! Bans have biggest dive boats with free tea, coffee and biscuits. Good quality equipment and some of the best teachers out there! In my refresher, covered things I did not learn first time around, so very comprehensive!

Would highly recommend!

Room Tip: Choose a room in the new complex or up the hill, if you want to be away from nightclub music!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Louiza D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ireland
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I went here during a trip around Thailand with some friends and we booked the 4 day open water course. I'm not the best swimmer in the world and cant thread water so I wasn't really looking forward to it and thought I probably wouldn't do it. Anyway we met our instructor, David Cohen, and after I'd watched the video I had my mind made up that I wasn't going to do it! But I went along and geared up and said I'd try the pool first. When it came to it I was scared to jump into the pool with all the gear on but eventually I just went for it! Long story short scuba diving was amazing, best thing I've ever done. And you don't need to swim to be able to do it! David was great, very friendly and made us all feel calm made sure we knew all that we needed to know. A few of us panicked under water when you have to take your mask off, and put it on again and take the water out but he was great with us and we all did it after without panicking! I'd really recommend David and you should definitely ask for him when you go there.
The rooms aren't great to be honest , unless you pay more for the nice ones, but you will hardly be there as you'll be out at the course most of the day. Great experience with a great instructor. overall.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Kansas
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I came to Koh Tao specifically to get open water certified and I left very pleased!!! Our instructor, Rich McLean, explained everything in detail. He was easy to understand and his directions were easy to follow. I was nervous before the course but by the time I did my first dive I was feeling confident and comfortable with it. Before each dive he would walk us through exactly what we would be doing in the water making sure everyone was on the same page. Keeping us safe was top priority followed by having fun. I came for the 4 day open water course, i ended up staying another 2 days to complete the advanced course. Yes, the all around experience was that awesome!!!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank AndSimm
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as part of our backpacking trip. We were not diving here so did not experience if that was any good or not.
We ended up choosing here as it was cheap compared to some of the bungalows around the area which were not very good and around the same price.
The staff here are quite nice and most languages are welcome here due to the diving courses they offer.
There is also 2 swimming pools here although the bottom one was filthy and looked unhealthy to get into the top pool is really pretty and much cleaner.
There is also a restaurant/bar on the beach at the bottom of the resort which does great food at quite good prices.
We paid for a basic air con/ fan room here which was great value for money but I felt compared to the rest of the resort the basic rooms could do with a refurb as they are quite uncared for. Also the wardrobe in our room had it's handles torn off which is fine this sort of thing doesn't bother me but as I went to hang my towel up I shut the door and there was spikes hanging out the door which I cut myself on which I thought was a pretty careless thing of the hotel to leave.
Other then that loved the resort and koh Tao is a beautiful island.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2013

As group of three friends we signed for open water course we got very nice 3 person room - big new room with AC and TV. During the course we got all needed stuff most of it was new, the course it self was well prepared. Our instructor was David Cohen - really nice man, the theory was explained properly and was very fun even in the class lessons. I felt very confident dive with him. Recommend to take him if you can. Any way, don't forget to breave.

• Stayed December 2013
Khomas Region, Namibia
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Really recommend David Cohen,
We are a group of 4 people that doing the Open Water + Advanced, all of us are really happy and satisfied with his work.
Very good guide, Funny, helpful and paying attention to everyone.

Other than that, no WiFi in the room.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stayed here for 6nights to do or open water and advanced diving. Our instructors for both were amazing, highly recommend Steve and John . Both were very professional, safe and put me completely at ease. We were very lucky with our open water as we also had Sabine and Ollie, new instructors and Olivia a dive master to help out, they did a great job.
The diving is busy but understandably as the location/ dive sites you visit are great. The beach is truly impressive as well, we had some fantastic weather got to kayak to koh nang yuang, definitely recommend this too.
The room we stayed in was pretty basic and on arrival had a massive lizard (40cm+) inside which we managed to sweep outside with some staff help. The shower water smelt a bit like crap, it was a basic room which for a backpacker is fine but if you're not there to dive I suggest upgrading.

Room Tip: Go for a room with aircon and a hot shower.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple