“Amazing IDC!”

Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Amazing IDC!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

When I went to Ban's for my IDC I was a pretty lousy divemaster, and I didn't know anyone or anything on Koh Tao, I just sort of, showed up. The course director Marcel took me on a big walk around Ban's when I arrived and told me everything. Like a father figure, Marcel was the orchestrator of everything, and an awesome person to hang out with. The course itself was ridiculously good fun, but also challenging and full-on. My teachers Marcel and Jeff, were amazing, and together (with help from Mike R and Tim S) they achieved the impossible, which was turning me from a shaky ball of nerves into a godlike instructor, and they did it with style, patience and good humour. Now I am working in beautiful oceans everyday and I owe it all to them! The internship afterwards is also highly recommended for those who want to get valuable experience, good contacts and the chance to start work as soon as possible! Let's not forget the marine life which is beautiful. GO THERE

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Ban's is the best place to get PADI certified. Ban's runs a great resort, great restaurant and has amazing instructors. I would recommend this place to solo travellers, groups, couples etc... they really can service everyone. Everyone that worked there (instructors, restaurant servers, front desk, even the cleaning staff) were so helpful and always smiling. Location is right on the beach and they provided pick up/drop service to/from ferries. Prices were very competitive (actually better than most other places in Thailand). Also, new classes are starting everyday, so super conveinent, no matter your schedule. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room that is near the beach side of the resort... there are also rooms furthe...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Lovely place to stay, we had a hilltop villa which was a bit of a walk up steps but fab views. Diving instruction was excellent, instructor was attentive to everyones needs, equipment was decent and everything was extremely well organised. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Lucy and Rick were amazing teachers and made me a lifetime diver! When the whole staff is in a good mood and is having a genuinely good time while working, it rubs off on the clientele. People from all corners of the globe came to dive and relax, the bar is a great place to meet people and converse after a day of diving.

Room Tip: There's dozens of diving options on Koh Toa, I can't imagine that any would provide a better...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Camborne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I had no intention of diving, I got off the ferry on Koh Tao and there was a chap holding a board for a free taxi to Bans. I knew this was on the main beach so i figured I'd have a look, I never looked back!
Bans is a friendly, professional diving resort with everything you could possibly want. Although the large numbers of people passing through makes it feel a little impersonal, once you realise the scale of the operation there its very impressive and you feel part of it, rather than secluded by it.
I signed up for my open water having never dived before and was given a free bed in the dorm rooms while I completed the course. I have to say the week I spent in the Dorm at Bans may have been the best week of my trip!!
The diving was amazing, I instantly loved it. My instructor Lucy was professional, fun and I always felt I could ask her anything I needed. I would say she was easily the reason I stayed on and completed my advanced open water too. All of the resort equipment used was always in good condition and the diving always ran without problems.
The resort is great, clean, well staffed and always plenty to do with entertainment in the evenings, the bar and restaurant are always busy and the variety of people you meet is unbelievable.
I have no negatives about Bans, my dive experience was top notch and I will 100% be heading back out to complete further courses.

Room Tip: Some rooms over the road are a bit of a walk up the hill if people have any mobility issues.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

After being greeted by warm friendly staff I was shown an array of accommodation from modest and humble to 5star standard. All within the some plush well kept surroundings.

My "cheap" room was very spacious and immaculate with nice views. In fact the whole two months I was there I would see an army of very friendly Thai employees that live within the grounds cleaning sweeping and tending to everything to make sure the upkeep of the rooms and grounds were of the highest standards.

I have since learnt that to reduce their carbon footprint on the island Bans resort have taken it upon themselves to either grow as much of their own produce, whilst ensuring that locally sourced stock is purchased from local farmers. They also produce their own fertilisers for the grounds up keep as well as shampoo and toothpaste to boot. Plus a great many other things.
They dive centre is where they really come into their own for professionalism and services. The courses that Bans run start from the basic PADI Open Water right the way through the spectrum to Technical Dive courses that consist of all Disciplines.

The general state of the Diving Equipment is excellent and the efficiency of how up to a 1000 people on the busiest months can come through the doors and gain dive qualifications in one of the many disciplines.

That being said, as an ex army instructor I am fully aware of the need to adhere to standards and I am happy to say that Bans staff nail this completely! I was blown away by the standard of instruction and after my initial Open Water PADI course. I was so happy at how well I was being treated and the level of instruction I was receiving that I decided to stay for 2 months and completed my Dive Master Qualification.

The individual care and attention shown by both staff and diving instructors at Bans is the best by far that I have ever experienced. From being instructed myself to working along side junior including senior instructors I had the pleasure of working along side people whose main aim is not just to "churn" out divers but to ensure students learn and harness their new found skills in a nurturing, safe environment.

The work that the people of Bans do with regard to the safety of other divers and the safety of the many awe inspiring, incredibly well stocked dive sites around the island is of the highest regard to each and every individual under the Bans banner. The unseen work that is done to preserve these natural habitats is jaw dropping. It's because these people really care about what they do that makes this probably one of the best decisions I made while travelling. I made meany friends at Bans and still keep in touch with them, I very much look forward to coming back to Bans for many many years to come. It's a place I know I can just turn up and fit right back in again.:-)

Room Tip: The dive courses for Open Water and Advanced plus others include free accommodation in their basic r...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

That what you feel at Ban's Diving resort part of a huge family. Everyone really take the time to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Not to mention the fantastic diving. If you want to learn to dive in a safe well managed resort you would have to go a long way to beat Ban's Diving Resort.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo