“Resort with great location and superb restaurant”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed in a suit the first night (complementary upgrade) and in a bungalow right down to the beach the rest of our stay. We actually booked the hill view bungalow, but had a chance to change that since it's a bit "far away" from the rest of the resort, and from the beach. We definitely recommend this resort to everybody!

Room Tip: Suit is close to the bars so music and party can be a bit loud. Beach bungalow is right down to the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,373)

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Ban's came recommended to my friends and I by almost everyone who has been to Koh Tao! It didn't disappoint, the property was beautiful, the beach was beautiful, the rooms were clean (and the nicest of any place we stayed in Thailand), and the staff was very helpful. We stayed in a gardenview room (more expensive, but DO IT), and none of us took the diving course because we weren't staying for long enough but the resort has something for everyone. Ban's boasts 2 pools, and I read in other reviews that people were upset the pools are full of diving classes, well they are, but why the heck aren't you on the beach??? Don't even bother with the pool, go to the beach, grab food at the restaurant at Ban's they had great cheap food, and at night you can walk along the beach and go to any bar and have a great time. Also really nice was the little street that runs through the resort, they have a convenience store, and thai massages everywhere for cheap. You can also walk up and down the street to find other restaurants, amazing authentic Thai food everywhere. I would recommend NOT getting a hilltop room, they are very very far from the beach and amenities. We ended up booking an all day snorkelling tour of the entire island through the front desk for 750 BAHT each and if you aren't there for diving it was great we all loved it and you get to see the whole island as well as a private island! If I ever have the pleasure of going back to Koh Tao there is no other place I would stay.

Room Tip: Garden view room is the way to go! You will be happy you got air conditioning and you're close...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank CanadianBaby
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have stayed on Koh Tao for some time, I was looking for a school with the right facilities and experienced instructors to complete my technical diver training. I choose bans tec and never looked back. The courses I received and advice given was second to none.

Starting my training back in March 2012 with my PADI Tec 40 course with Rob who made the course both enjoyable and educational. Later last year I went on to complete my Tec 45 and Tec 50 courses under Craig, who to my knowledge is the most experienced cave diver on the island, I particularly liked how he tailored the course to the student level and help develop them as divers, not solely focusing on the bear minimum requirement.

Inspired by the training I received, I enrolled on my Tec Deep Instructor Course, conducted by Tec Deep Instructor Trainer Jeff, an experienced Trimix diver who done the dives and knows what he's talking about.

Over the past several weeks I have enjoyed assisting on course under both Lars, a regular coldwater dry suit diver and John a keen rebreather diver. Yesterday I finished off my Instructor training with the Tec Deep Instructor Exam.

Jeff, Craig and their team have given me all the knowledge and real life tips for me to help me teach my own PADI Tec programs. They were always fast in response to any emails or phone calls about any quires I had with my training or scheduling of courses.

I appreciate the help you have given me, to help me reach my own career goals.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Jon B
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This place is the largest centre of diving in the world but i still got a good & personal service. I was there for a week and met people from all around the world. Staff are great! had a basic room for 1000BHT (low season divers rate). nice bar, okay thai&international food

Room Tip: Take the garden room, long walk but quite.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I wouldn't stay at Bans if I was after luxury or relaxation but its the perfect place to learn to dive and have some fun. There is a great culture there with lots of activities and I felt really safe with the diving instructors. They have a great set up for divers. We were on the beach side which was very noisy until about 2am but once we got some ear plugs (or stayed out) it was fine. I will definitely go back there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Although our room was pretty basic, it is free accommodation while you're diving. Essentially that's what you come to koh Tao for, and Ban's is the best place to do it. Fantastic instructors, enthusiastic, passionate and so reassuring. Ask for Dara and Anthony. Excellent guidance for fun dives too. Fishbowl, the Ban's bar, is a great place to socialise after diving and people come from all over sairee to party here. Good mix of Thai and western food. Relaxed atmosphere. Rooms are far enough for a quiet night's sleep, especially if you're up for a 7am boat! Can't recommend enough, great value for money and a great place to dive and make friends.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Spent four nights for my Diving Open Water Course and I think I had the good fortune of getting a nice Deluxe Bungalow with all the ameneties on the top floor. However Wifi did NOT work a single day I was there, Cable TV had only very few channels I could watch, doors did not close properly thus soundproofind and insulation in general is definitely lacking.
Frankly speaking I thought that Sun Smile Guesthouse (a simple unpretentious guesthouse; see my review on Tripadvisor) had better maintenance and is definitely more hospitable than this would be 'first rate' diving resort in Koh Tao. Somewhat sad as management could easily remedy these defficiencies. I am not looking forward to staying there again.

Room Tip: Getting a pool view room could be more of a curse than a blessing as the pools are constantly filled...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo