“Great Location, loved the Island and instructors were great!”

Ban's Diving Resort
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Came from Koh Phangan Full Moon and stayed in Bans. Done our Open Water with Mario and Krista and followed onto my advance with Josh! The Instructors were great! It's close to the party's! Loved it. A great place!

• Stayed: July 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (2,422)

Reviewed August 11, 2012

2008- We were originaly supposed to stay for 1 week, to do our opon water course. We ended up staying for a whole month!

I had the best month of my life while staying at Ban's. The staff were so friendly and the food was great!!!! The strawberry smoothies are to die for!

There was always a bunch of fun stuff going on at the fishbowl bar.

We were made to feel right at home!

2011- I went back to Ban's with my girlfriend. They had since built a stunning restaurant at the top of the resort. The staff were just as friendly as I'd remembered and the smoothies were still just as awesome!

Ban's will forever hold a place in my heart.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed here for four days and found the service to be a bit dissapointing. The good thing about Bans is they cater for a wide range of budgets and groups. We paid 4000 thb per night for a garden view suite and we felt the service didn't match the cost. Although there were a lot of staff at reception, most we looking around aimlessly when there were several people waiting to be served. We were not helped to carry our bags from the pier to the car and had to walk around the resort to ask someone to take the bags to our room. The room was smaller than expected and nothing like what was on the website gallery. It was still a relatively nice room however the aircon was not very powerful. It took several hours to cool the room down even on the most powerful setting. Good location though (although hill top views seemed to be a bit of a walk away). As for diving, Good Time Adventures are a better diving company as they take much smaller groups and dive at off peak times, allowing divers to actually see fish and not just other divers. Bans take out groups of 8 people, whilst for only a little extra, you can dive with only 2-4 people, significantly improving enjoyability and learning. Sea Shell Resort and Lotus looked better from the outside for the price...

Room Tip: Don't chose a hill top room as its far away, garden suite rooms arent as nice as the photo galle...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We were travelling with kids and opted for the family villas with which was very nice ( we stayed up on the hill away from the noise). The restaurant is also nice and well located. I would recommend this place if you want comfortable hotel facilities. I was impressed with their booking people prior to arrival as they were very helpful. Travelling with children, we were very disappointed by the swimming pools however as they are constantly full of divers and simply not usable.

As an ex instructor I took one look and knew we would not be happy diving here. We have dived with many operations in Thailand including a few in Koh Tao and one only needs to look at the classes which are maxed out to the limit with students to see what diving here is about. We opted for one of the smaller operations along the road which offer a more personalised service with guaranteed small groups that was outstanding. Ban's boats hold a very large number of divers and we don't have the patience for that much surface activity or that many people in the water at the same time when on a holiday. While they are clearly professional and they may get rave reviews from first timers (who don't have much to compare to), I think experienced hands may want to look elsewhere.

Anyway.. 3 stars overall as the room we had was very good and we would most certainly use them again but as a dive destination this place is just too much mass production for our liking. There are too many very good small shops close by offering exactly what we are looking for in a diving holiday for us to dive here.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Matt B
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed at Ban's for 5 nights; my room was so cheap I expected roaches and possibly a rat or 50. I was very, very pleasantly surprised by my fan room. July is possibly the hottest month of the year and I was pretty comfortable with my fan and cold water (well, lukewarm).

I had intended to complete my AOW and around 10 fun dives during my stay. Unfortunately, I kept getting seasick and finally embraced the idea of laying in the fetal position on the boat with my deep diver certification.

I really have to commend the patience of the three instructors I had, particularly Dani. Not only did I throw up on her on board, underwater, and during our surface swim, but I also kind of ruined the dive for my buddy. I'd be extremely annoyed if someone puked on me for whatever reason but she took excellent care of me. Steve and Rich did a wonderful job with the theory because, oddly enough, I remember everything I learned. You're probably thinking "Dude, that's what instructors are for" LOL DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW EASY IT IS TO BE UNPLEASANT?

You are coming here to dive. It is the largest dive resort in the world (ProDive in Aus took 45 years to accomplish what Bans did in 18 years). The instructors are wonderful and I think I love everyone at the reception too. There's a lady named Sutep (spelling?) who wears sparkly high heels around the resort and I'm not sure what's wrong with me but her awesomeness had me in hysterics. You should talk to her if you're ever here. About anything.

I'm coming back as soon as I can do 1000 squats a day and no longer have a hole in my stomach. It helps to be a little fit :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank UlcerGirl
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stumbled upon Ban's during my first trip to Thailand. A friend in Bangkok recommended it. I was supposed to stay on Koh Taoh for one week, take my Open Water then go back to Norway. I ended up staying there for more than two weeks with Advanced OW and Rescue Diver under my belt when I left. So memorable was my stay that I returned later to take my Dive Master course the same year.
Keys: Fishbowl, Santi, Lee, all the instructors, all the DMs

Room Tip: If you take a diving course at Ban's you get a non AC room for free. You also get decent discoun...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Lomsdal
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Was very impressed with this resort, really enjoyed our stay and would definitely visit again. Our room was lovely with a nice view and good size balcony. The room was very clean and tidy, very nicely decorated and had plenty of space.
There are two pools that we came across on the resort, we spent a lot of time in the pool nearest to our room which had also had a pool bar and a nice lounge area.
The facilities at this resort are great, it is right next to lots of bars, restaurants and shops so everything you need is right on your doorstep and the nightlife is great, very chilled out but really good fun! The staff were very helpful and friendly. The only tiny downside was that the staff in the resort restaurant were a little bit slow when we went there a few times for lunch and it would take a while to get a menu/for them to take our order. Because of this we would often use other bars and restaurants along the beach, however they are all worth a look anyway! Its a great place to stay if you are wanting to scuba dive while there, they have two dive trips a day if you wish to go and they go to a good range of dive sites. All in all we had a very pleasant stay here and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple