“Hard to beat”

Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Hard to beat”
Reviewed July 13, 2009

My family stayed here for a week to 'chill out' after time in Bangkok.
Every aspect of the hotel lived up to high expectations. The rooms in the new block and superbly furnished, have lovely sea views and effective air conditioning. They are exceptionally good value at the opening offer rate of BHT3,900 a night, including breakfast.
For me there are two reasons to stay here, over and above any other luxury beachfront resort. One being the spa which is exceptionally good with a whole range of treatments and the second being that you can snorkel right off the front at all states of the tide. The bay is known as shark bay and if you swim at the right time of day, you will see some decent sized specimens. Also five minutes in the hotel boat or kayak around the headland there is some really beautiful coral which is very accessible.
This place is remote and we never felt tempted to go into town because it was so nice and the service so good!
There are two outside restaurants if you want to stretch your legs. One is down a steep road to the sandy beach (watch out for falling coconuts) and the other 'Eagles View' is on the top of the hill right outside the hotel front door. Both are cheap and cheerful.
As other reviewers have noted it is a bit hilly, but we didnt find it an issue.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank deskjet2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Finland
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I have to say that this is the most beautiful resort that I have ever stayd at. Thinking of Jamahkiri makes me warm at heart on a cold and rainy day back home.

I really recommend this hotel! It may not be a good place for familys with small children, because there are so many stars and it's situated on a hill far away from everything.
You get the best price by visiting the hotels own webpages.

We stayed for six nights at the hotel and it was so nice, beautiful and quiet. There were mostly young couples/honeymooners from all over the world. One did also get to know people who were staying at the resort during the bumpy ride down to Mae Haad.
The breakfast was great and they even had darker bread (which was great for us Scandinavians).

The pool was also really nice. You were also allowed to swim 24/7, so it was nice to have a swim late at night.

Food and drinks were more expensive than on other places on Koh Tao, but that was expected. The laundry service was expensive. You got all you clothes washed in Mae Haad for the same price that you would have had to pay for one shirt at Jamahkiri.

The road to Jamahkiri is i a really bad shape. There's a shuttle to and from the hotel every hour until 8.30 in the evening, which is a great service. Unfortunately the last shuttle from Mae Haad is at 8.30, which is too early. If you want to take a taxi to the hotel later in the evening you have to pay 300-400 baht because the road is so bad and all the taxidrivers think that you must be rich if you are staying at Jamahkiri. We had been planning to rent a scooter on Koh Tao, but already when we took the shuttle from the pier to Jamahkiri we saw that there was no chance to drive a scooter up to Jamahkiri.

I would love to go back!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PiaSofia
London
Reviewed June 4, 2009

I have visited Koh Tao on a number of occasions and until now, you had a choice of back packer accommodation or expensive resorts trying to be luxurious but whilst having the views couldn’t provide the necessary service nor room quality!

This has now changed with Jamahkiri who have now opened a new hotel up in the hills. They have managed to combine the beauty of Koh Tao with the level of comfort, quality of food and high class service expected by the more discerning traveller at a reasonable price especially compared to other resorts on the island.

All the large en-suite rooms have a sea view and are immaculate (with air con, balcony and tv) and cleaned twice daily. Coupled with the facilities on offer such as a large swimming pool, a fine restaurant, marina, diving school (not for me but…) and of course the amazing spa (my favourite – ask for Lanna or Bual!) this was the perfect place for me to relax.

I stayed for three weeks and during that time was treated so well and nothing was too much trouble – for example if wanted something that wasn’t on the menu or needed something organised that was no problem etc and I was made to feel like one of the family with the owner and all the staff being so friendly and by the end of the trip knowing and speaking to me by my first name!

Their website doesn’t do the resort justice and it is often that you arrive somewhere and find it to be better than the pictures on the website!

I am eagerly awaiting my next trip to Koh Tao and definitely will be staying at Jamahkiri again and am happy to recommend!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Spain
Reviewed April 27, 2009

Arriving to the island on the boat we could see the resort and were already impressed. We stayed in a suite, the room was fantastic very big and cosy. The views from the balcony can't be described with words, they have to be seen. The personel at the hotel were very friendly at all times, and the food at the hotel restaurant was really good. Really good value for money and a MUST if you want to spend a good holiday on Koh Tao.

London
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for four nights in a deluxe pavilion (part of the 'older' section of the hotel) as part of our honeymoon. Out of the five hotels (in Phi Phi, Ko Racha, Ko Lanta & Phuket)I would rate this one the highest. The view from the room was amazing and the room was well furnished and modern. The staff were very helpful and the prices (compared to some of the other islands where we stayed) were very reasonable. The swimming pool was great and never felt crowded. We ate at the hotel a few evenings and the food was very good. We also made use of the free shuttle service and ate at Sensi resort the one evening and Whitening (or something like that) the second evening - both were excellent.

The spa was amazing - my favourite was the thai massage. I would also recommend renting a kayak to explore the surrounding bays.

One thing to mention - if you are looking for a place with a lot of nightlife and shops then this is not the place for you but if you are looking for a place to relax then this place is ideal.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Liz27
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Whilst on Ko Tao 'roughing it' and scuba diving, my boyfriend insisted on taking me somewhere nice for my birthday. He apparentally found Jamahkiri by walking down the Mae Had High St and seeing there travel agency. And let me tell you it was a very very lucky find. I believe he had an introductory price for there newly extended rooms. I would have been happy with just a hot shower and a place with a flushing toilet; but this was amazing. Seventh Heaven!
We took advantage of the extremely useful shuttle which runs form Mae Had to the Spa Resort, which, unlike alot of taxis in thailand, was actually suitable for such a trip. Air Con, 4 by 4. The resort/spa was exactly what we needed. Our room had the most amazing sea view, and we could see Ko Pangan and Ko Samui in the distance. We could also have complete privacy when sunbathing, due to the staggered front of the hotel. The infinity pool had a waterfall and had a jacuzzi. The sun deck was panoramic, making the most of the beautiful bay below. The resturant shared this view, with a section of axe pillows, and a tabled section with large open windows and shutters, looking over the bay and cliff. The room price had breakfast included, with a wide range of cerals, yogurts, cold meats, chesses, juices and more. The dinner menu is plentiful, with western and thai dishes, and I believe they also had an extensive wine celler, which we did not use sadly. The other facility on this area is a. air-con VIP room with high speed computer and a widescreen tv with dvds to watch if you are so inclined.
The Spa facilites are wonderful, with completmentary tea in the private garden after any treatment. Not the mention the resort has a family of chimps living in and around the resort.
The thing that really made it for me, however, were the wonderful staff. The bellboy was very helpful and carried all the bags over the extensive resort for us. The reception had complementary drinks for us when we arrived and were always smiling and kind to help. The Pool has a bar, and the barman was always attentive. Whenever one was in the pool he would pour out a glass of iced water, complimentary again, and bring over a spare towel for you. The cocktails were also a highlight, professioanlly and beautiful made. The resturant staff are always on hand just when you need it, and can provide you with anything you need.
All in all I have nothing bad to say about this resort at all. I enjoyed my time there and was blwon away my the service. Thank you for a wonderful birthday Jamakhkiri

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2009

After going for the day spa treatments and deciding to stay longer on Koh Tao..my partner and I decided to check into one of the new rooms that have just opened at Jamahkiri as a bit of an early birthday treat for me! What great value these rooms are...spacious, amazing view, really comfortable bed and great bathroom ( rain shower is amazing!)..it is a pity we have left and i can't go and stay again! You wouldn't get a room in Europe to the same standard for the same price...